Graduated in History; trained as Registered General Nurse, then as Registered Sick Children’s Nurse, specialising in burns and plastic surgery; adult education lecturer (early years, health, and social policy); at LJMU since 2008
Senior Lecturer; Route Leader, Early Childhood Studies
MA (History), Glasgow University (1983)
Registered General Nurse (1988)
Registered Sick Children’s Nurse (1990)
Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Further Education) (1999)
MSc (History of Science, Technology, and Medicine), Manchester University (2004)
Courses (Subjects) taught
History and nature of childhood Child health Child development Social policy regarding children and families Professional practice
Professional and Research interests
Currently working towards a PhD, looking at changing medical definitions of childhood in the mid-nineteenth century. Other interests include:
- The origins of health services for children
- The public health role of hospitals
- Social policy, particularly current developments in child and family policy
- History of early childhood
- Origins of children’s hospitals
- Ethical healthcare for children
Publications and Conference Papers
- Kennedy, A. (2007) Hospitals and Public Health. British Society for the History of Paediatric and Child Health Conference, September, 2007, Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin.
- Kennedy, A. (2008) New Thinking About the Medical Treatment of Children, 1840s-1850s. British Society for the History of Paediatric and Child Health Conference, September, 2008, Courtauld Institute, London.
- Kennedy, A. ‘Inside the School: Early Years’, in Mufti, E., Kassem, D., Murphy, L. & Naylor, A. Education Studies: An Introduction to Key Issues. Milton Keynes: Open University Press (in press, 2008).
- Kennedy, A. ‘Parents, Children and Notions of Risk’, in Kassem, D., Murphy, L. & Mufti, E. (eds) Childhood Studies: Critical Perspectives and Issues. London: Routledge (forthcoming)
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Member of the British Education Studies Association (BESA)
- Executive Committee Member of the British Society for the History of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Reviewer for Education 3-13: International Journal of Primary, Elementary and Early Years Education.