Off Campus Applications
*** Off Campus Update 16th September 2014 ***
Issues with IOS 8 update on Citrix ReceiverPlease be aware that there may be problems with Citrix Receiver (Off Campus) when Apple release an IOS 8 update tomorrow. Citrix recommends not upgrading to IOS 8 until the update to Citrix Receiver is available.
In the meantime ITS will test IOS 8 once it is available to ensure the receiver continues to work if already configured. For more information please see: Citrix Support
Off Campus Update 16th September 2014
We have made lots of Off Campus changes live over the past week. These updates brought the service in line with the IT Services (ITS) Managed Client which ITS updated over the summer (All Public clients on campus have been updated, All new Staff clients are running our latest client and others will be updated on request). The updates include Microsoft Office 2013, Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and for the first time we have implemented new technology which will save your settings between all of our managed clients AND the Off Campus system. Settings saved include Email signature, mapped drives, recent documents in Office applications and lots more application customisations, We have also been busy over the summer and updated our most popular applications which are available through the AppPlayer.
What is the Off Campus Service?
The Off Campus Applications Service allows off campus access to a wide range of applications on the LJMU network such as:
- Your M drive (Personal File Store) and staff shared network drives
- A range of Subject Software and Corporate Applications through the JMU App Player
- Outlook 2013 for access to your LJMU e-mail account
- Office 2013 including Visio and Project 2013
- FollowYou printing - print from Off Campus and collect your printouts from any of the 100's of brand new Xerox printers around the University.
To access the Off Campus Applications Service you need:
- A PC or Mac connected to the internet with a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox
- A piece of software called the Citrix Receiver– if this is not already installed you are prompted to download and install a suitable version the first time you access the service
- If you have not used the service before, we recommend that you use Internet Explorer if you are on a PC, as it is then very straightforward to download and install the correct version of Citrix
- You can also access the service from a range of mobile devices by downloading Citrix Receiver from the relevant App Store.
Accessing the Off Campus Applications Service
- Whether or not you have used the service before you should go to the following URL which takes you to the Citrix Access Gateway
- Alternatively click the link Login to Off Campus Applications on the left hand menu
- This will take you to the login screen Login here using your normal LJMU username and password.
Add the link to the login screen to your Favourites if you use the Off Campus service regularly
If you need more detailed instructions on how to access the Off Campus Service click the link on the left menu 'Installing Off Campus Applications'
The Off Campus Desktop has now had its Start Menu changed to bring it in line with the ITS Windows 7 Managed Desktops which uses the JMU AppPlayer application to launch installed applications.
Although Off Campus uses the same program, only a small subset of the applications are currently available through Off Campus, if you are familiar with using and finding applications with the AppPlayer on one of our Managed PC's, the same functionality and experience is also available via off campus.
If you would like more help on using the AppPlayer please refer to the help page relating to it - http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/ITHelp/software/122874.htm
JMU App Player Favourites on Off Campus are specific to this platform as are favourites on the ITS Managed Windows 7 clients. Therefore favourites do not roam between the two separate groups of systems.
You can launch the AppPlayer from the desktop, taskbar or Start Menu, look for the AppPlayer logo: