Use of the University computing facilities is subject to adherence to the terms and conditions of computer use, good practise guidance and the operational policies defined by Planning and Information. These can be found on the Planning and Information Policies and Regulations pages.
Your computing account
You are entitled to a computer account as soon as you become a member of LJMU. Your account is operable until you cease to be a member of the University. For further information please see When does my account expire?
Your account is defined as follows:
You are defined as a member of staff if your details are recorded in the Personnel Management & Information System (PMIS). All costs arising from use of the University's printing facilities will be charged to your faculty or department.
You are defined as a student if your details are recorded in the Student Management System (OSS) as being registered for a Programme of Study at LJMU. You must meet any charges incurred as a result of using the printing facilities.
You are provided with an account, accessed via a username and password, which enables you to log on to the LJMU network to access the following:
- Networked software provided for general use
- Software provided on the Off-Campus Applications Service
- Networked printing facilities
- Internet access
- An email account and use of email facilities
- A secure personal file-store, regularly backed up by PLN
- Personal web pages
- The extent to which some entitlements can be used is restricted by quotas which are assigned at a level determined by the category of user
- Your ability to utilise the full extent of an allocated quota is subject to the overall availability of disk space
- The contents of your personal file store and email store are retained until your account is terminated, except in exceptional circumstances dictated by operational necessity
- It is your responsibility to manage the content of your filestore and email store appropriately.
Personal Filestore (M Drive)
- For the 2012/2013 academic year, your default filestore quota (M Drive) as a student is 4Gb. For staff, this quota is 5Gb. Disk space used for personal web pages is counted against the file-store allocation.
- For the 20012/2013 academic year if you are a student, you are entitled to 250Mb. If you are a permanent member of Staff you are entitled to 500mb