RAE 2008 - World Leading Research at LJMU
1. LJMU demonstrates World-leading research in 70% of our disciplines (ie. 12 out of 17 UoAs have 4* research).
2. All 17 UoAs have internationally excellent research and >75% of our research submitted to RAE2008 is of international quality or better.
3. LJMU has improved overall since RAE2001 and is now ranked 81st in the UK (THES).
4. On the basis of the proportion of World-leading (4*) research, LJMU is ranked 68th in the UK.
5. Our research environment is rated as World-leading in a majority of our subjects.
For more than half of our activity LJMU is ranked in the top 4 of post-92 Universities:
- 1st for Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- 1st for General Engineering
- 1st for Sports-Related Studies
- 1st (joint) for Architecture and Built Environment
- 2nd for Anthropology
- 2nd for Physics
- 3rd for Biological sciences
- 4th (joint) for Computer Science and Informatics
2008 Research Assessment Exercise
The RAE2008 quality profile definitions are as follows:
4* Quality that is world-leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour
3* Quality that is internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour but which nonetheless falls short of the highest standards of excellence
2* Quality that is recognised internationally in terms of originality, significance and rigour
1* Quality that is recognised nationally in terms of originality, significance and rigour
Unclassified Quality that falls below the standard of nationally recognised work. Or work which does not meet the published definition of research for the purposes of this assessment