Lifestyles Fitness Centres - free off-peak membership for LJMU students and staff
All students studying at LJMU this academic year (2013/14) and University staff are entitled to apply for free off-peak membership to use Lifestyles Fitness Centres across Liverpool (see off-peak access below for further information).
Discounted peak-rate membership is also available for students, ranging between £4 and £9 per month and for staff, ranging between £7 and £15 per month (see Upgrading your Membership for further details).
Who is eligible to apply?
In order to qualify for the free off-peak and discounted peak membership, you must:
- Be studying your programme at LJMU in Liverpool - students from partner colleges or other institutions are not eligible.
- Complete your registration and enrolment for the current academic year - for new students, this means attending your enrolment session at your designated Learning Resource Centre; for continuing students, this means completing the activate arrival process on the Student Information System.
- Employed by the University and working at LJMU in Liverpool
How to apply
First time Lifestyles members
In order to claim your free off-peak membership, you must first complete an application form. This form will be pre-populated with:
- Your first name and surname
- Your date of birth
- Your date of application (i.e. when you downloaded the form)
- A unique LJMU number (not your Student ID Number)
You'll need to complete the rest of the form yourself, adding your term-time address, contact phone numbers, etc. Two optional sections on ethnicity and disability are included to enable Liverpool City Council to know who uses their services; you do not have to complete these sections if you do not want to. Please note: Liverpool City Council will process this data in compliance with the Data Protection Act, 1998.
Once you've completed your form, take it along to your nearest Lifestyles Fitness Centre. You'll also need to take your LJMU student or staff ID card as proof of your identity. Please note you cannot apply at the golf courses.
For those wishing to use the fitness suites (gyms), you must pre-book an induction with a Fitness Instructor. At the start of term, the gyms are very busy and Lifestyles will be inducting many new LJMU members ( althou group inductions may be booke). Lifestyles therefore request that students attend the induction at the time agreed.
To download your LJMU Lifestyles Fitness Centre Application Form, click here
If you have any problems downloading or completing your form:
- please email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a student.
- please email Andy Keegan (email@example.com) if you are staff.
Existing Lifestyles members
If you took advantage of free off-peak Lifestyles membership during 2012/3 and still meet the eligibility criteria for 2013/4, your membership will automatically extend into this academic year. You can continue to use the facilities available using your existing membership card from 1 September 2013.
- Your membership will be valid until 31 August 2014, irrespective of when you apply.
- LJMU and Liverpool City Council will be monitoring all applications to ensure there is no fraudulent activity.
- Your free off-peak and discounted peak membership only applies to you; not your partner/spouse; though some activities, including swimming, are free for Liverpool residents under 17 years old. For further information on the Future Lifestyles membership, visit www.liverpool.gov.uk/futurelifestyles
Upgrading your membership
You can upgrade your membership so that you have peak time access to facilities. There will be a discounted monthly charge for this – see the table below for details. If you choose to pay in advance for the full year you will qualify for a further discount, receiving 12 months discounted peak-rate membership for the price of 10. Please note, upgraded peak time membership only applies to the Lifestyles Fitness Centres and does not include the golf courses.
|Details||LJMU student subscription if paid by monthly direct debit||LJMU student annual subscription||LJMU staff subscription if paid by monthly direct debit||LJMU staff annual subscription|
|Full access to Lifestyles fitness suites, swimming pools, health suites, steam or sauna, squash, badminton courts, coached fitness classes (exemptions apply to some classes) and discounted tennis court bookings during peak times.||
£9 per month
Saving £12.20 per month
£90 instead of £212
£15 per month
Saving £15 per month
£150 instead of £300
|Full access to Lifestyles fitness suites, swimming pools, health suites steam and sauna at any time.||
£7 per month
Saving £11 per month
£70 instead of £180
£13 per month
Saving £13 per month
£130 instead of £260
|Classes Membership||Unlimited coached classes
(exemptions apply to some classes).
£7.50 per month
Saving £10.80 per month
£75 instead of £183
£13 per month
Saving £13 per month
£130 instead of £255
|Aqua Plus Membership||Unlimited use of Lifestyle swimming pools, Health Suites, Sauna and Steam at any time.||
£5 per month
Saving £8.50 per month
£50 instead of £135
£10 per month
Saving £10 per month
£100 instead of £200
|Unlimited use of Lifestyles swimming pools at any time.||
£4 per month
Saving £6 per month
£40 instead of £100
£7 per month
Saving £ 6.50 per month
£70 instead of £135
Remember, if you forget to pay your subscriptions you will lose your peak time access. Liverpool City Council will follow their standard procedures for collecting outstanding payments. Your LJMU free off-peak membership will be unaffected.
What to do if you wish to take up the LJMU Lifestyles membership but you are already a Lifestyles Fitness Centre member
You can change your existing status to take advantage of LJMU's free off-peak and reduced peak-rate membership scheme. You still need to complete the LJMU Lifestyle Fitness Centre Application Form and then you should inform the Centre staff that you want your existing membership to be changed. Please note: if you currently pay your membership fees by Direct Debit, you must complete your application for free off-peak access no later than the 25th of the month otherwise you will be liable to pay another month’s subscription.
What facilities are available
As a member of Lifestyles, when you join at any one you can use them all:
- 11 fitness suites with all the equipment you need. Some offer TV screens on the cardio equipment and even i-pod docking stations. There is no charge for fitness advice and instructors are on hand at all times.
- The Technogym system I the fitness suites allows you to store your gym workout programme on a key that records your activity and allows you to track your progress either in the gym or anywhere via the internet.
- 8 swimming pools - including the Olympic sized Liverpool Aquatics Centre in Wavertree
- Tennis centre with indoor and outdoor floodlit court
- 2 golf courses (18 hole) with an additional 9 hole course at Allerton
- Squash and badminton courts
- Over 400 coached fitness classes each week including martial arts, Zumba, circuit training
- Steam and sauna rooms
- Floodlit synthetic grass pitches
- Athletics track
The Lifestyles Fitness Centres will also be the venue for some teaching activities associated with PE, sport and leisure programmes delivered by the Faculty of Education, Community and Leisure and those offered by the School of Sport and Exercise Sciences in the Faculty of Science. Clubs and Societies affiliated with the Liverpool Students' Union will also be able to access facilities for sports club training and competitions.
Lifestyles Fitness Centre locations
- Peter Lloyd
- Austin Rawlinson
- Cardinal Heenan
- Everton Park
- Park Road
- Wavertree Athletics Centre
- Wavertree Sports Park
Lifestyles Fitness Centres
- From opening until 4.00pm, Monday to Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday (opening and closing times vary from centre to centre). Click here for further information: www.liverpool.gov.uk/lifestyles
- Tee times after 2.00pm, Monday to Thursday, Tee times after 3.00pm, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Tee times need to be booked in advance; call 0151 546 5435 for Liverpool North or 0151 428 7490 for the Allerton golf courses.
- Each eligible player will have to present both your Lifestyles membership card and LJMU student ID cards at the Pro Shop for each round in order to get on the courses. Click here for further information: www.liverpool.gov.uk/golf
Liverpool Aquatics Swimming Pool (during semesters)
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.00pm, use of 4 lanes of the 25m deep end of the 50m pool hall
Liverpool Tennis Centre (during semesters)
- Indoor tennis courts: 9.00am to 3.30pm, Monday to Friday for sports activities, including tennis, badminton, netball and basketball
- Outdoor tennis courts: Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm
Liverpool Athletics Centre (during semesters)
- 9.00am to 4.00pm, Monday to Friday, use of 400m competition track and associated athletics facilities
Liverpool Aquatic Centre Synthetic Pitch (during semesters)
- 9.00am to 4.00pm, Monday to Friday, use of the 2 large synthetic pitch areas
Any students using the Lifestyles Fitness Centres who bring the University into disrepute or who breach LJMU's Code of Conduct could face disciplinary action as a result.