Dr Zoe Knowles
Reader in Sport and Exercise Psychology
Dr Zoe Knowles is a HCPC registered practitioner psychologist in sport and exercise psychology and BASES Fellow. Dr Knowles has previously worked with International/Olympic GB Target Archery, National/International gymnasts and national swimmers. Dr Knowles is currently working with Paralympic sport and tennis players Dr Knowles is an experienced supervisor within the BASES SE scheme and is a member of the BASES SE/Accreditation review panel. She has undertaken consultancy roles with the Open University, BASES and NGB’s within the UK. With regard to research Dr Knowles has produced peer reviewed publications and made several invited presentations at national and international level based on her research area of reflective practice. More recently the focus for this research has turned to pediatric fields including both active and natural based play in pre school and school age children and psycho-social determinants of physical activity in special populations. Dr Knowles is also the Public Engagement and Impact Lead for the School of Sport and Exercise Sciences.
Reflective practice in sports practitioners; active/natural play in preschool environments; psycho-social determinants of physical activity in special populations.
Ph.D completed 2009 ‘Exploring the themes and processes of reflection: Enhancing HE and professional training curriculum in sports social science’
- Leader of Active Play research within the Physical Activity Exchange
- Project lead on Liverpool City Council Fathers Engagement /Active Play project
Previously Editorial Board member for Qualitative Research in Sport and Exercise Journal
- BASES Fellow
- BASES Emerging Researcher Medal 2009- Education and Professional development
Recent conference presentations
- UKSBM (2012) Watson, P., Knowles, Z., Murphy, R., Dugdill, L. and Cable, T. One size doesn’t fit all: A qualitative exploration of long-term behaviour change in families with children who are overweight. Manchester, UK 10-12th December.
- ICSEMIS (2012) Knowles, Z.R., O’Dwyer, M., Stratton, G., Graves, L. and Sayers, J. It’s natural to play: creating healthy environments for physically active play in paediatric populations Glasgow, UK, 19-24 Jul 2012 (Symposium lead and session presenter).
- ECSS (2012) O’Dwyer, M.V., Knowles, Z.R., Foweather, L., Fairclough, S. and Stratton, G. Effects of a six-month Active Play intervention on preschool children’s habitual physical activity levels. Bruges, 4-7 July 2012 (Oral).
O’ Dwyer, M.V., Knowles, Z.R., Foweather, L., Stratton, G. and Fairclough, S. Physically Active Play Interventions: What do we need to make it work? Bruges, 4-7 July 2012 (Oral).
- British Psychological Society Annual Conference (2012) Briegal Jones, R., Knowles, Z.R., Eubank, M. The Effect of Yoga Practice on Mindfulness and Flow in Elite Youth Swimmers, Connaught Rooms, London, 18-20 April 2012 (Oral).