Education for business
School and College of Commerce
Liverpool was the first place in England to establish a college dedicated to teaching commercial knowledge in 1898 and this laid the foundations for today's Liverpool Business School and School of Law.
In 1898, a new School of Commerce was founded as a joint venture between the City’s Education Committee, the Chamber of Commerce and the recently established University College, which would eventually become the University of Liverpool in 1903.
The School’s development during the early twentieth century was at times troubled but student numbers continued to grow and by the 1960s it was praised by HM Inspectors for its pioneering HND in Business Studies plus its accountancy and Law Society courses. In 1970, along with the College of Art and Design, the Regional College of Technology and the Nautical College, it formed Liverpool Polytechnic.
Today’s Liverpool Business School and School of Law are based in the Redmonds Building in Liverpool’s Knowledge Quarter, and both are committed to educating the professionals of tomorrow and establishing mutually beneficial partnerships with business and industry. So while LJMU’s course portfolio and scope of activities may have broadened from founders’ original vision of ‘teaching commercial knowledge’, the University remains true to delivering courses and engagement activities that reflect contemporary and future working life.
The library in the College of Commerce Extension on Tithebarn St, 1954.
The Redmonds Building is now home to the Liverpool Business School and the School of Law, along with the Liverpool Screen School.
Today's Law students can practice their skills in our 'moot room' or mock courtroom.