Overseeing environmental responsibility and sustainable development at LJMU
Our overarching sustainability and environmental objectives are described in the Environmental and Sustainability Policy . These are reinforced by area-specific policies and targets, see the individual topic pages for further details on this.
Environment and Sustainability Panel
- The University Environment and Sustainability Panel is the principal means of consultation on related policy development and strategic issues. Membership includes JMSU and Trade Unions. Chaired by the Deputy Chief Executive, Organisational Enhancement, the Panel will advise the Senior Management Team, Vice-Chancellor, and the Board of Governors on environmental compliance, performance and sustainable development matters.
- The University’s Environmental Code of Practice (ECP1) on the Organisation for the Implementation of the Environment and Sustainability Policy provides the overarching structure for environmental responsibility and sustainable development at LJMU.
Our main goals
Recycling and waste:
- Maintain 0% waste to landfill
- Achieve 50% recycling rate across the University
Energy and carbon management:
- Reduce CO2 emissions by 43% of our 2005/6 levels, by 2020
- To continue provision of free, mains-fed drinking water for LJMU staff/students
- To monitor and control water consumption to maintain a steady consumption rate
- Reduce CO2 emissions associated with the University vehicle fleet
- Reduce number of staff/student single-passenger car commute journeys
- Increase number of staff/students taking up active or more sustainable travel (e.g. walking, cycling, public transport, car sharing)
- Monitor and improve levels of biodiversity across the LJMU estate
- To achieve ‘ISO 14001’ environmental excellence accreditation
- Environment and Sustainability Policy
- Recycling and Municipal Waste Management Policy
- Sustainable Travel Policy
- LJMU Green Travel Plan
- Carbon Management Plan 2015-2020
- Biodiversity Policy
- Fairtrade Policy
- Sustainable Procurement Policy
- Ethical Investment Policy
If you would like to learn more about LJMU's sustainability goals please get in touch with us.