Our plans to make LJMU even more sustainable
Our overarching sustainability and environmental objectives are described in the Environmental and Sustainability Policy. These are reinforced by area-specific policies and targets, see the individual topic pages for further details on this.
We have established comprehensive key performance indicators to support our commitment to consistent and regular reporting and delivery of an Annual Sustainability Programme and Annual Performance Review, reported at senior management level.
Our main goals
Recycling and waste:
- 0% waste to landfill
- Achieve 50% recycling rate across the University
Energy and carbon management:
- Reduce CO2 emissions by 43% of our 2005/6 levels, by 2020
- To continue provision of free, mains-fed drinking water for LJMU staff/students
- To monitor and control water consumption to maintain a steady consumption rate
- Reduce CO2 emissions associated with the University vehicle fleet
- Reduce number of staff/student single-passenger car commute journeys
- Increase number of staff/students taking up active or more sustainable travel (e.g. walking, cycling, public transport, car sharing)
- Monitor and improve levels of biodiversity across the LJMU estate
- To achieve ‘ISO 14001’ environmental excellence accreditation
If you would like to learn more about LJMU's sustainability goals please get in touch with us.