Welcome to the Department
Unlocking potential and inspiring excellence
The Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering is an enterprising community of 300 students and 30 staff who are dedicated to the study of electronics and electrical engineering.
By combining theoretical teaching and practical training we can unlock every student’s potential, while our excellent links with industry and our innovative academic culture helps us to produce quality research.
Explore the Department:
The future is what you make it
Watch the video to give you a taste of what we do in the Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering.
Our specialities and research
An innovative and diverse department
The Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering is renowned for its research within electrical power machines and drives microelectronic systems.
Members from our Department have specialist expertise within the following key areas:
- New materials and devices for future microelectronic industry
- New characterisation techniques for VLSI devices
- Development of advanced techniques for variables-speed electric drives
- Qualification, modelling and aging prediction
- Development of novel control techniques for power electronic converters
- Modelling, simulation and experimental characterisation of power electronic converters and variable speed drives
To cement our research reputation, we have developed an international network of research and industry partners. The Department, for example, has worked closely with leading organisations, such as: the BBC, Ericsson, ITV, Jaguar Land Rover, Network Rail, Optare, Sellafield, Sky, Telegenic, Tyco Electronics and United Utilities.
BEng (Hons) Electrical & Electronic grads in work or further study 6 months after graduating
of research outputs for UOA 13 internationally excellent (REF2014)
Our Department supports 300 students