State-of-the-art facilities to kick start your career
Learn in new, cutting-edge laboratories and excellent teaching spaces.
In the £26 million Tom Reilly Building, you’ll find psychology students recording brain activity with EEG and fNIRS and using virtual reality systems and a driving simulator to test out simulated activities.
Plus psychology students and research staff take advantage of:
- Psychophysiology Lab: eye tracking and facial recognition software, game consoles, fNIR system (which monitors changes in cortical oxygenation and deoxygenation in the brain), GSR transducer sets, electro-oculogram amplifier (to record eye movements), evoked response equipment
- Sensory and Affective Neuroscience Lab: Medoc Pathway Thermal Sensory Analyser used in pain studies, a Robotic Tactile Stimulator for research into affective touch, an olfactometer for smell research, microneurography capabilities used to record and microstimulate single sensory nerves innervating the skin
- Driving simulator: driver console with steering wheel, brake, clutch and accelerator pedals, and a tester console with programming monitor
- Appetite Research Lab: fully equipped food preparation kitchen and testing area
- Human Performance Testing Lab: a dedicated general purpose laboratory for physiological measurements with associated software (EMG, EEG, ECG, GSR, blood flow, air flow, breathing rate, Chart 4.0 Analysis)
EEG recording to examine various brain functions
Driving simulator includes driver console with steering wheel, brake, clutch and accelerator pedals, and a tester console with programming monitor