13 reasons why we're proud of being part of LJMU
Students and staff at Liverpool John Moores University have much to celebrate as it's our 25th anniversary so it's a perfect opportunity to reflect on some of our achievements.
Here are just some of the reasons to be proud of our University:
1. Wherever you’ve come from and wherever you’re planning to get to, LJMU can help you find your place in the world. We're a truly diverse University with friendly staff and students from all walks of life and from over 100 countries around the world
2. Our programmes focus on student employability with industry-informed practical learning and opportunities for work placements. We engage with leading organisations to give students the vital experience employers are looking for, making our graduates highly sought after
3. The University is one of the highest climbers nationally in the Research Excellence Framework 2014, ranked 61st for world-leading and internationally excellent research. Our research is influencing policymakers, improving people’s lives and finding solutions to the problems of the 21st century
4. LJMU has secured partnerships with the big names in arts and culture in the city, ensuring that our students get to experience the creative atmosphere of Liverpool first hand by taking part in placements or attending free or discounted cultural events
5. LJMU is the first university to receive two commended judgements from the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) during its Higher Education Review. This rigorous independent review is designed to check that the University meets the expectations of the UK higher education sector. Not only did we meet the standards but exceeded them, having received a commended judgement for the quality of our student learning opportunities and one for the enhancement of student learning opportunities
6. From running marathons to volunteering their time and expertise, staff and students at LJMU give back to the community by supporting LJMU corporate charities: The Whitechapel Centre, Alder Hey Children’s Charity, Mersey Counselling and Therapy Centre and the Samaritans of Liverpool and Merseyside
7. Our Centre for Entrepreneurship has won a number of national and international awards including Outstanding University Entrepreneurship Award at Times Higher Education Awards 2017, EUSASBE Outstanding Entrepreneurship Program Abroad Award 2017, UK BEIS Enterprising Britain Award – Building Enterprise Skills 2016 and Overall European winner: Investing in Entrepreneurial Skills EEPA 2016
8. LJMU has invested heavily in the development of the Knowledge Quarter of Liverpool with the RIBA-award-winning £19 million John Lennon Art and Design Building and the £37 million Redmonds Building. During the construction phases of these buildings, the University was able to facilitate the creation of jobs for local people. Our continued investment into our campuses will deliver economic and social benefits to the city
9. Having received £5 million in ERDF funding, Sensor City, a joint venture with the University of Liverpool, aims to become a leading innovation hub in sensor technology
10. Now in its 20th year, the Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences is first in the UK for Research Quality according to the REF2014*
11. The University is committed to a number of sustainability goals, in particular we’re proud that 0% of the University’s waste ends up in landfills
12. Regularly attracting audiences of over 800 people, our Roscoe Lectures bring the brightest minds to the podium to debate topics of public interest. For over 20 years, the Lectures have featured a range of speakers from statesmen to poets and scientists to sports people
13. Among many outstanding achievements of our alumni, this year, Claire Foy, a graduate of LJMU, won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a TV series for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth II in The Crown
Discover more about LJMU and take a look at our 250+ undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
*Research Quality Index data provided by Research Professional and available via Research Fortnight.