LJMU have partnered with food equipment company, Meyer, to give Food Development and Nutrition students the chance to gain hands-on experience working on real life projects. During their placement, students not only have the opportunity to develop their own recipes, but can also hone their food photography skills, test out equipment and carry out live cooking demonstrations.
Impressed with the quality of work and talent of LJMU students, Meyer have distributed the students' recipes to the public through recipes cards available at John Lewis stores. Student recipes and food photography are also featured on Meyer’s websites and social media.
Tomato, Shallot and Chilli Tarte Tatin
by Natalie Caulkett
A fantastic vegetarian dish with a flavoursome twist on the French classic. Best enjoyed with a simple green leaf salad.
500g plum tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan assisted/Gas mark 6. Place 5 shallots in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water for 10 minutes. Peel, halve lengthways and carefully trim the ends.
2. Roll out the pastry and cut a circle 1cm wider than the skillet. Store in the fridge until needed.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet over a low-medium heat. With the remaining shallots, finely slice lengthways and add to the pan. Cook for 10 minutes until they become softened and slightly caramelised. Add the chilli, 1 tbsp. thyme leaves and balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 3 minutes. Transfer the shallots into a bowl and set aside.
4. Add the halved shallots to the skillet, cut side up and cook for 3 minutes, then invert them and arrange in a circle, add the tomatoes. Distribute the shallot mix over the top and spinkle with sugar and remaining thyme. Lay the sheet of pastry over the top and tuck the edges. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until risen and golden.
5. Leave the tarte tatin in the skillet to settle for 5 minutes then turn out onto a plate. Crumble over the feta cheese and serve warm.
Try these other recipes developed by students:
Beef Brisket Casserole with Chilli and Orange Dumplings
Orange, Carrot and Cranberry Muffins
Matcha Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Pull-Apart Dessert