About Liverpool John Moores University
Information about LJMU for Conference attendees
Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) can trace its origins to the Liverpool Mechanics’ School of Arts that was established in 1823. A number of colleges around the city were combined to form Liverpool Polytechnic in 1970 and in 1992 the Polytechnic was awarded University status. The University was named after Sir John Moores who was a local businessman and philanthropist who was Chair of the Board of Governors from 1988 to 1994. The University has approximately 18,000 undergraduate students and 4000 post graduate which makes it the 35th largest university in the UK.
The University comprises of five academic Faculties which comprise of a number of Schools or Departments:
- Liverpool Business School
- Faculty of Arts, Professional and Social Studies
- Faculty of Education, Health and Community
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Engineering and Technology
The University has three campuses, each of which has a dedicated library:
- The City Campus which houses the Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Faculty and Science and the Health provision of the Faculty of Education, Health and Community in the city centre. This will be where a large part of the ASC 2020 conference will be held
- The Mount Pleasant Campus which houses the Faculty of Arts, Professional and Social Sciences and Liverpool Business School in the city centre
- The IM Marsh Campus which hosts the Education and Community provision of the Faculty of Education, Health and Community and is based approximately six miles south of the city centre. The bulk of the University’s sports facilities are located at this campus.
IM Marsh Campus
Mount Pleasant Campus
The Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Department of Built Environment is hosting the ASC 2020 Conference at two city hotels and the City Campus of the University.
The Department of Built Environment is the second largest Department in the Faculty and started life as the Liverpool Cathedral Mason’s School which was established in the early twentieth century when work on Liverpool’s Anglican Cathedral commenced. The School was relocated to a building in Clarence Street after the original building was destroyed during one of the worst air raids on the city in 1941. In 1951 the College of Building was formed, which was incorporated as part of Liverpool Polytechnic in 1970. The discipline of Built Environment remained at this location until 2004 when it relocated to the City Campus upon the formation of the current Faculties. The site on Clarence Street was demolished and rebuilt to house the Business School and parts of Arts, Professional and Social Sciences.
It is perhaps fitting that given the origins of the Department of Built Environment, the LJMU graduation ceremonies are held in the Anglican Cathedral each year in July and November and where we will proudly host the conference dinner.
The Department currently delivers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Building Surveying, Real Estate, Architectural Technology and Building Services Engineering. All programmes are accredited by the relevant professional body and underpinned by research carried out by our academic staff and managed by the Built Environment and Sustainable Technologies Research Institute (BEST).