Lecture hall


Information for EU postgraduate 2017/18 entrants

Your funding package

Unlike undergraduate funding, postgraduates fund their studies in lots of different ways

As a postgraduate, there could be a range of funding options available to you. In this section we highlight some of the most common sources of funding:

  • Government postgraduate loan scheme
  • Postgraduate scholarship
  • Professional and Career Development Loans
  • Employer sponsorship
  • Earn while you learn
  • Student Support Fund
  • Funding for students with a disability

A message from the Student Loans Company

If you are planning to study at a UK university this autumn, and you are an EU national, please read this funding statement from the Student Loans Company. For more information, please contact us.

Government postgraduate loan scheme

Borrow up to £10,280

If you are eligible you could borrow up to £10,280 as part of the government’s postgraduate loan for masters courses.

The loans will be available to students studying a full-time or part-time course that starts from September 2017 onwards. Part-time courses need to be studied at 50% intensity of the full-time equivalent.


Once your course is completed, you will not need to start repaying your loan until the following April and you will only begin to pay back your loan when you are earning more than £21,000. Repayments will be made at a rate of 6% of your income above the £21,000 threshold.

Am I eligible?

If you’re studying an eligible course, the following students should be able to receive the postgraduate loan: 

  • Students who are ordinarily resident in England or the EU. However, Student Finance Wales also plans to introduce a scheme for those starting in the 2017/18 academic year
  • Students under the age of 60 at the start of their course
  • Those who already have a masters level qualification will not be eligible

Eligible courses

Eligible courses include:

  • MSc
  • MA
  • MRes
  • LLM
  • MBA

Please note, this list is not exhaustive. To be eligible, courses need to be full masters standalone courses.

Courses that are not eligible

Postgraduate Certificate and Postgraduate Diploma courses are not eligible.

Professional and Career Development Loan

Value: Up to £10,000

A Professional and Career Development Loan (PCDL) is a bank loan, which you pay back once you’ve completed your course. If you are eligible for a PCDL, you could receive between £300 and £10,000. You don’t have to repay your loan until after your course has ended.

The PCDL can be used to fund up to two years of study, or three if your course includes work experience. The loan is split into course fees and living costs. While you are studying, any interest on your loan will be paid for by the Skills Funding Agency.

Employer sponsorship

Would your employer sponsor you?

Employer sponsorship is when your employer contributes to or pays for the cost of your postgraduate study.

If you haven’t approached your employer about sponsorship yet, take a look at our courses and see if there any programmes that could enhance your current career. Once you’ve found a course, talk to your manager or the person responsible for employee training at your company.

As well as sponsoring your study in a financial sense, your employer may let you work flexibly too.

Earn while you learn

Part-time work

Studying part time can allow you to work while you study. Part-time work means you may be able to pay for your course without taking out further loans.

At the very least, part-time work should help you to reduce the amount you will need to borrow.

Student Support Fund

Unexpected situations and financial hardship

The Student Support Fund is intended to help students who are experiencing unexpected situations, such as a broken washing machine, or financial hardship, such as supporting a child.

You do not need to be completely without funds to apply. We advise that you apply for the Student Support Fund before you are in financial difficulty.

Priority is given to students who:

  • are in their final year of study
  • have children or caring responsibilities
  • have an ongoing health condition or disability

However, all students can apply and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.


To apply for the Student Support Fund, you will need to complete and return the Student Support Fund form. The form will be available once you have enrolled at the University in the new academic year.