Information for international postgraduate 2016/17

Answers to your student finance questions

Find out more about your student finance

If you’ve got a question about student funding, you might find the answer below. If you can’t find the information you’re looking for, please get in touch with a student advisor.

Can I work to fund my studies?

As an international student studying in the UK on a Tier 4 (General) Student visa you must already have the money in place to pay for your living costs and tuition fees.

As an LJMU student, you should be able to work either 10 or 20 hours a week during term time depending on what level of course you are studying. You should check your Biometrics Residence Permit to be sure. You must not rely on part-time earnings to support yourself financially. If you have a ‘prohibition’ rather than ‘restriction’ on working please contact us. Similarly, if you have any questions relating to working while studying, please get in contact.

National Insurance numbers (NINo)

Everyone who works in the UK needs to have a National Insurance number (NINo). This includes international and EU students.

A National Insurance number is a unique personal reference number that is used to collect your National Insurance contributions. If you want to work part time during your studies in the UK, then you will need to apply for a National Insurance number.

How Do I obtain a National Insurance Number?

You must be actively looking for work or have started work in order to be eligible to get a National Insurance number.

You need to telephone the National Insurance number helpline to make an appointment on 0345 600 0643 (this will be charged at a local rate call) between 8.00am and 6.00pm.

They will ask if you are already working or have started to look for work and if you can prove this. They will then take you through an application form over the telephone.

What does 'No Recourse to Public Funds' mean?

Tier 4 (General) students will have a ‘No recourse to Public Funds’ condition attached to their visa. This means you are not allowed to claim most welfare benefits or you will risk breaching your visa conditions, which can have severe consequences. 

Can I get a scholarship when I'm in the UK?

It is very difficult to get a scholarship once you have started your course. You should make sure your funding is in place prior to arriving in the UK.

What if I find myself in financial difficulties during my studies?

We appreciate that things can happen during your studies. If you are facing unexpected financial difficulties there is only very limited help available to international students in emergency situations. Please contact us for more information.