Social work students

Information for UK postgraduate 2016/17 entrants

Funding and fees for social work students

What funding could you receive?

If you are accepted onto the MA Social Work course and you meet the eligibility criteria, you will receive:

  • A grant for your tuition fees from the General Social Work Council. You’ll receive this through the NHS Business Services Authority

This funding is only available to students from England, who are studying in England.

The number of bursaries available are restricted in number and specific eligibility criteria may be applied. This means you may be offered a place on the MA in Social Work, but not a bursary or tuition fee grant to finance your studies.

If this happens you will be responsible for covering your own tuition fees and living costs. The University has to apply certain criteria when awarding bursaries and you should be advised before you start your degree if you have been awarded a bursary. Before you begin your course, make sure you research the other funding options that might be available to you.

You may also be eligible for help with your living costs in the form of:

  • A non-means tested basic grant. In 2016/17, eligible students received a basic grant of up to £3,362.50
  • A means-tested maintenance grant. In 2016/17, eligible students received a further grant of up to £2,721
  • Financial support for looking after dependents

The rates for 2017/18 are not available yet but we will update our website once they are confirmed.

Read the eligibility criteria and apply