Additional support for healthcare students
The government has recently announced that it will be providing additional funding support to healthcare students from September 2020.
Students on eligible courses starting their second or third year will also be able to apply for the additional funding.
This funding includes:
- A non-repayable award of £5000 per year to eligible students
- Additional payments worth up to a total of £3000 per academic year for students in specialisms or regions struggling to recruit or to help students cover childcare costs
This additional £3000 will be broken down into separate elements:
- £1000 per year for students with dependent children
- £1000 per year for students training in specific specialisms
- £1000 per year for students in areas that are struggling to recruit
The exact details of eligibility including how and when to apply are still to be finalised. In the meantime, students should continue to apply for their student finance (tuition fees and maintenance funding) via the relevant government website.
Once the policy and process for this additional healthcare funding is finalised, applications will be managed online via the NHS Business Services Authority.
Who can apply for the funding?
Students studying healthcare courses at English universities from September 2020 can apply. At LJMU the eligible courses are:
- Nursing (adult, child, mental health)
We still do not know how this additional money will impact on any benefits you receive.
We will update this page as more information becomes available. Alternatively, you can check the NHS website.