Your virtual learning environment
Take the time to visit your programme community site on Blackboard where you will find your programme handbook, essential reading list and most importantly your induction timetable.
Blackboard is LJMU’s Virtual Learning Environment and it's where you will find lots of information relating to all the modules you will be studying, such as assignment support, lecture material, audio, video, links to web resources and online assessments.
Starting your course
To help new students settle into life at the University and get the most out of their course, we organise a series of introductory sessions or induction classes where you can meet other new students, chat to your academic team and find out more about what you will be studying this year.
Unless you have been told otherwise, the introductory or induction sessions for your course will take place between Wednesday 21 and Friday 23 September 2016.
So what you need to do now is download your induction timetable which will give you details on where you need to go and what you will be doing.
Your induction timetable is available on Blackboard – LJMU's virtual learning environment – in your programme community site. Remember, you are expected to attend all of your induction sessions, so please make sure you know when and where you need to go so you can plan your arrival at LJMU accordingly.
How to find your induction timetable:
- Login to Blackboard (you will need your LJMU username and password to do this.)
- Once you are in Blackboard, click on the name of your course in the My Organisations box.
- A new list of options will then appear on the left-hand side of the screen. Click on the Induction Week link to access a range of content linked to the start of your course.
- Find and read your couse induction timetable. You are expected to attend all of these introductory sessions, so please make sure you know when and where you need to go so you can plan your arrival at LJMU. If you aren’t sure where you need to go, please contact the Student Registration Helpline (see below).
How to access your programme guide:
- Go to the My Organisations box on Blackboard.
- Click on the Programme Guide [name of your course] link.
- Please take the time to read your programme guide and check if you need to complete any course-related tasks before you arrive to start your course.
Don’t forget – in addition to your course induction, you also have to complete your enrolment and attend your welcome talk. Logon here to check your details.
Student Registration Helpline
If you have any problems accessing your community site on Blackboard or if can’t find your induction timetable, please contact the Registration Helpline:
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0) 151 231 3289 (9.00am-4.30pm BST, Monday to Friday)
Advice on how to use Blackboard
You’ll find lots of useful 'how to' guides in the Blackboard Help Tab, plus information on other learning technologies such as Turnitin plagiarism detection, Wimba Classroom and the e-Portfolio to name but a few. Log in to Blackboard using your LJMU username and password and click on the Help tab to get started.
Blackboard Mobile Learn
If you download the free Blackboard app, you will also be able to use Blackboard on your mobile devices.