Student working in library

International students

Please check our frequently asked questions below as they should provide you with the information you need at this time. We will continue to update these as more information is available and will communicate with offer-holders directly with any important updates.

Should you have further questions, you can find contact information for the person responsible for your region.

Useful information

The university has received an update for international students from the Minister of State for Universities dated 11 August 2021. You can read the letter here.

What welcome events are available for international students?

Please find the October Welcome Events schedule, as provided by the Liverpool City Region.

I am fully vaccinated. Must I isolate upon arrival to the UK?

The UK government policies on international travel are constantly evolving. Not all vaccination programmes are accepted as valid for exemption from quarantine, so it is important that you familiarise yourself with the list of countries and vaccination programmes that apply.

From Monday 4 October 2021, the rules for international travel to England will change from the red, amber, green traffic light system to a single list of red list countries. The rules for travel from countries and territories not on this red list will depend on your vaccination status and programme. Please find further details on this below.

From 4am, Monday 4 October, you will qualify as fully vaccinated if you are vaccinated either:

  • Under an approved vaccination programme in the UK, Europe, USA or UK vaccine programme overseas, or;
  • With a full course of Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna or Janssen vaccines from a relevant public body in Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Dominica, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, or the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Variations of these 4 listed vaccines such as AstraZeneca Covishield, AstraZeneca Vaxzevria and Moderna Takeda, all qualify as approved vaccines. These variations of the vaccines only qualify if received in the countries as listed above.

Therefore, not all individuals who have had one of the 4 listed vaccines or a variation of one of these 4 vaccines, will be exempted from quarantine. Only those who have received said vaccine in one of the countries listed above will be exempt on arrival to the UK.

From Monday 4 October 2021, all travellers from the single list of red list countries, regardless of vaccination status, will still have to enter mandatory quarantine on arrival in to the UK.

Find the most up to date information on the UK Government website.

Find further up to date information from our LJMU extended FAQs, regarding international students and vaccine recognition in the UK.

Can I gain access to be vaccinated against Covid-19 on my arrival?

As an international student living in the UK, you will not be charged or restricted in being vaccinated against Covid-19.

You do not require an NHS number or GP registration to receive the coronavirus vaccination and should not be denied vaccination on this basis. You will still be entitled to receive free Covid-19 vaccinations.

You can access walk-in vaccination sites or request to book a Covid-19 vaccination appointment as an unregistered patient through any local GP practice. Otherwise, please find up to date information on upcoming pop-up vaccination clinics.

All pop-up clinics will be walk-in, no appointment or booking will be necessary.

Find more information and translated versions here

Find a guide to help individuals without an NHS number gain access to the Covid-19 vaccine and register with a GP, developed by NHS England. Please note this guide is available in 25 languages.

I am from a red list country what are my next steps?

The Department for Education has recently published these FAQs.

Always keep up to date with the latest Government guidance on travel at the following link. This information can change frequently so we recommend signing up to email alerts (found within the below link) in case your country changes from one list to another or the rules applying to each list are adapted as we continue through the year.

Red, amber and green list rules for entering England

I'm travelling into London. How can I get to LJMU from there?

There are many travel firms who are able to arrange transfers from London for students. Whilst the University has no affiliation with any particular organisation, Executive Travel, based in Liverpool are happy to arrange collections from Gatwick and Heathrow Airport to transport students to their accommodation in Liverpool.

If students wish to share transportation with other students arriving at the same time, we would recommend using our LJMU CampusConnect app to chat to others about their plans to make arrangements together before booking. Details of how to access this platform can be found in your offer letter from the University.

Transportation would need to be booked directly with Executive Travel on +44 (0)151 495 2552 who are open for calls between the hours of 9am and 5pm UK time. A minimum of four days notice is required in advance of your arrival in to London. Please have your flight number and arrival terminal to hand when booking. Payment will be taken at the time of booking on the telephone by credit card.

Alternatively, websites such as and can be used to book a single journey and pay online.

Please note: the University is not recommending any particular service, but providing you with this information to help you make plans accordingly.

Where can I book my UK arrival day 2 and day 8 COVID tests?

Please see the following page on the UK government website which will provide you with more information on valid tests.  Here, you can find information and contact details of test providers and associated costs.  Please note that the cost of these tests must be covered by you, the student.

Will my classes be face to face in September 2021?

As the UK opens up, the university will continue to follow government guidelines. LJMU currently anticipates a mix of face to face and online teaching.

I am from an amber list country what are my next steps?

Always keep up to date with the latest Government guidance on travel at the following link. This information can change frequently so we recommend signing up to email alerts (found within the below link) in case your country changes from one list to another or the rules applying to each list are adapted as we continue through the year.

Red, amber and green list rules for entering England

All students from an amber list country may be able to end their quarantine early if they pay for a private COVID-19 test.  This test will need to be booked online, before arriving in the UK.

I have had a first dose of a Covid-19 vaccination abroad, and it is not a vaccine being offered in England. What should I do?

If a person has received a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine overseas that is also available in the UK, they should receive the same vaccine for their second dose. If the vaccine they received for their first dose is not available in the UK, the most similar alternative should be offered as per the advice on vaccine interchangeability guidance. Please contact a local GP to ensure you receive an appropriate vaccine for your second dose.

I am from a green list country what are my next steps?

Always keep up to date with the latest Government guidance on travel at the following link. This information can change frequently so we recommend signing up to email alerts (found within the below link) in case your country changes from one list to another or the rules applying to each list are adapted as we continue through the year.

Red, amber and green list rules for entering England

How do I book an airport pick up?

LJMU will arrange a collection service for students travelling into the UK via Manchester International Airport (MAN) and to Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LPL). To book this service you will need to give our support team four days’ notice in order to guarantee a transfer.

Airport pickup booking is now available. Please book your airport pick-up here.

Please note that drivers have the right to refuse a collection if passengers do not wear a face covering, unless passengers are exempt from doing so.

When is induction and how do I take part in it?

There will be two online induction sessions for incoming students to take part in. Please see the below options and register your attendance to one of the events in advance. We look forward to welcoming you very soon!

I won't get my visa in time for my course start date. Can I start my course online and enter the UK once the visa process is complete?

This should be possible for most students. You should complete online registration as soon as you are asked to do so. Do not delay completing this while you are completing the visa process.

Once you complete online registration you will be asked to provide information as to your visa status, potential arrival date and any quarantine requirements. You should do this straight away, even if you do not have all the information.

If you are unable to arrive in the UK for your course start date or still in quarantine, you should tell us as soon as possible. We can liaise with your Programme Team to facilitate online learning till you are able to arrive in the UK and attend university.

Can I arrive early to the university approved accommodation to complete my isolation period?

The standard start date for tenancies in University approved halls is Friday 17 September 2021. But if you are coming from an amber list country and have booked a room via the LJMU Accommodation Office, you can request to arrive up to 10 days before the start of the tenancy to complete your isolation period. There will be no charge for any extra period of accommodation if you arrive early and information about how to request an early arrival will be available here soon.

Can I arrive early to other types of accommodation to complete my isolation period?

If you are coming from an amber list country and have booked a room in any type of accommodation except in an approved LJMU hall, you need to contact the hall owner, letting agent or landlord to enquire if it is possible to arrive before the start of the tenancy. You should also ask also whether there will be any additional charge for this extra period of accommodation. In most cases, private halls and houses have tenancies that start earlier than university approved halls and hence it should be possible to complete your isolation period before the start of teaching without making any extra payment.

I need to isolate. What support is available?

If you are arriving from an amber list country, you will be able to book an isolation package that consists of an initial food box, basic kitchen utensils and bedding. Also included is a UK SIM card so that you can order additional food supplies to be delivered to your hall, house or flat after you arrive. The package will be delivered to your address on or before your arrival date, provided you have informed us of that date at least 72 hours in advance. The package can be delivered to university approved halls and all other types of accommodation but only if located within the Liverpool city limits.

There is no charge for this isolation package and you can request one within the arrivals information form that all incoming students must complete.

What is in the quarantine support packages offered by LJMU?

To ensure that essential items can be delivered on time and to the highest possible standards, we have a pre-set list of food and household equipment that you may request within your arrivals form.

Do I need to be vaccinated to travel to the UK?

This is currently not a requirement as all students over the age of 18 arriving into the UK will be able to get vaccinated through the National Health Service (NHS). In order to secure a booking, you must first be registered with GP. Once you are here, you can find a GP in your local neighbourhood by visiting the NHS website (to find your nearest GP, you will need to know the postcode of your accommodation).

Information on booking a vaccination

Will I need to pay to be vaccinated?

As part of the Healthcare Surcharge you paid to get your visa to the UK, all international students will be able to get vaccinated for free. It is important to register with a GP once physically in Liverpool. Once you are here, you can find a GP in your local neighbourhood by visiting the NHS website (to find your nearest GP, you will need to know the postcode of your accommodation).

If you have any queries about how to register, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

What support is available to international students while I settle at LJMU?

International Student Advice offer a range of services to help students settle and throughout their time at LJMU.

If you would like to build a support network before you arrive in the UK and get to know some of your fellow classmates or staff, please refer back to your offer letter and download your LJMU Campus Connect app to start communicating with them before your journey begins.

You can also chat with a member of staff or a current student ambassador before you arrive to learn more about life on campus and in the UK. This can help you prepare for your journey and feel more settled when you arrive. Find out more information on our online, weekly zoom sessions online.

How can I get my grocery shopping delivered to my accommodation?

If you need to isolate upon arrival to your accommodation and you require an emergency food box, the University can supply this upon request. This request can be made on your arrivals form or, if you need to discuss your needs further, you can contact

If you would simply like to start having your food and basics delivered while you settle into your new home, there are a number of providers in the Liverpool area who can deliver.

The following supermarkets offer food deliveries in Liverpool:

  • Tesco
  • Asda
  • Sainsburys
  • Marks and Spencer

Students who have specific dietary needs, including gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian may also find the food boxes delivered by Morrisons supermarket useful.

If you have any issues getting your payment card to work with online shopping orders, you may also wish to consider UK supermarkets such as Iceland and Ocado who also accept payment via PayPal.

If you are looking to order other things for your home, you might find the following websites helpful. Same day and next day delivery is often possible.

  • Amazon
  • Argos

There are a number of options to have takeaway food delivered to your accommodation. Some of the following smart phone apps may be useful:

  • Deliveroo
  • Just Eat
  • Uber Eats
  • Dominos

Most of the above companies will accept an international credit card (such as Mastercard or Visa).

Please note: the University does not recommend any specific company and is providing this information to help you order things you might need.

If you are unable to shop online or require additional support we have a Team of Accommodation Mentors that can provide advice and support to you if you live in LJMU student accommodation. They can be contacted on

Settling into university life

Student support services

Our International Student Advisers are dedicated to helping you settle into life in Liverpool and the University. They are experienced in dealing with the kinds of issues that international students may face when moving to a new country, such as visa renewal, accommodation, financial issues and the challenges that can arise when you are settling into a new home.

To contact an adviser:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162


English language support

To help you develop your English language, the university provides regular classes and drop-ins with specialist language tutors. Our classes and drop-ins are free and informal and will give you the opportunity to ask questions, practise your use of English, and get advice on improving your written assignments. For more information, please see the English for Academic Purposes section on the skills@ljmu webpages or email


Library services

As well as providing a wide range of study spaces and resources, the library offers expert help in developing the skills required to do well in your academic studies. At all of the university libraries, staff are on hand to offer advice and training on literature searching, research and referencing, and use of IT. The library also provides seminars and one-to-one guidance on a range of academic skills, including study skills, maths and statistics, and English for academic purposes.

Find out more about the support available in the libraries or contact Library Services.

To see the seminar timetables and to make an appointment with a skills tutor or email

Counselling services

LJMU’s free counselling service is open to all students and is designed to help you through any personal difficulties you may be experiencing and also manage the demands and pressures of academic life.

The counselling service is open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday throughout the year and offers both group workshops as well as individual counselling sessions.

The University’s counselling service subscribes to the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) Codes and LJMU is an Organisational Member of the BACP.

LJMU’s counselling service is based in the Aquinas Building, adjacent to the Aldham Robarts Library.

To contact the counselling team:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3110


Support for students with disabilities

For further details on the range of support available to international students with disabilities, please contact the Disability Team:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3164/3165


If you become ill or have a temporary disability while studying in the UK, emergency funding may be available in certain circumstances. Contact the Disability Team for details.

Spiritual support

The University has facilities for quiet meditation, prayer and contemplation in each of its three campuses: City, Mount Pleasant and IM Marsh. The quiet spaces in Mount Pleasant, the Henry Cotton Building and IM Marsh are designed to be multi-faith. Henry Cotton also offers an additional room for Muslim prayers.

More information on spirituality or email:

LJMU’s Spiritual Support Team offers confidential, non-judgmental pastoral care and support to students and staff of all beliefs and backgrounds.

For more information, please contact the Student Advice Team: Call: +44 (0)151 231 3109 Email:

Financial matters

Tuition fees

Remember, your annual tuition fees are payable in full on enrolment or you can choose to pay 50% upon enrolment, with the balance paid in full, four months later. The University accepts debit and credit card payments using Maestro, Visa or MasterCard. You can pay online.

Please note that the University does not accept payments by cash or cheque (including bankers drafts).

If you have any questions about your tuition fees or need any advice about paying your tuition fees, living costs or working out a budget, please contact the Student Advice Team:

Arrangements for sponsored students

If you are receiving sponsorship for your studies, you must have written confirmation of this, on official headed paper. If your fees are being paid for by family members this is not classified as sponsorship, you will still be classified as self-funding in this instance.

Please note:

  • If your fees are being paid by a sponsor (for example an employer or embassy) you must provide clear evidence of this in writing at the beginning of your programme and at the beginning of each subsequent year. Please note that any sponsor must normally have a UK address and postcode. If applicable the letter should state the maximum amount that sponsorship covers in British Pounds (GBP£)
  • A financial guarantee is not a sponsorship letter
  • You will be expected to pay your tuition fees in full if your sponsor fails to make a payment


Money transfers

There are a number of methods you can use to transfer money:

  • Traveller’s cheques: A safe and easy way of bringing money because unlike cash, you can replace traveller’s cheques if they get lost or stolen. They can also be paid directly into a UK bank account
  • Banker’s drafts/cashier’s cheque: You can buy one from your home bank and bring it with you. Only bring Sterling (UK £) drafts; they are quick to clear and free to pay into your UK bank account
  • Telegraphic bank to bank transfer: This can be the cheapest way of transferring money but you will have to wait until you have opened your UK bank account. This type of transfer can take up to four working days and there are transaction/exchange charges
  • Credit/debit card from your home country: You may be able to withdraw funds from an existing credit or debit card to pay into your UK bank account if your card is accepted in the UK. You may be charged for using your cards in the UK
  • Personal cheque from your home country bank account: This is a slow method of money transfer and you will have to wait up to 6 weeks until the cheque clears and you can withdraw the money

If you have any questions, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

What happens if you don’t pay your tuition fees?

The penalties for non-payment of tuition fees are very serious. Ultimately, you will lose your place on your course and the University will inform the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) that you are no longer a student at LJMU.

Opening a UK bank account

It is important that you open a bank account as soon as possible to ensure that your money is kept safely.

The Pound (£) is the central unit of currency in the UK. £1 (one pound) is divided into 100 pence; the coins in use are 1p, 2p, 5p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2. The notes in use are £5, £10, £20 and £50. A useful currency converter tool can be found on this website:

Usually branch opening hours are from 9.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, although bigger branches may open outside these hours. Some banks also offer customer services phone numbers outside these times as well. The main high street banks - NatWest, Barclays, Lloyds TSB, Royal Bank of Scotland, and Halifax - all have branches in Liverpool city centre.

In addition to the list of high street banks provided above, students will also be able to apply for an account with HSBC. HSBC have advised us they are happy to accept LJMU proof of student status letters. However, you will still need to visit the branch with identification and address documents once instructed to do so by HSBC.

You will need to provide documentation in order to open your account, such as:

  • Identification (ID) in the form of a passport and visa/BRP (if you are a non-EU student).
  • Verification of your UK and home address.
  • Evidence of your student status: you can get this letter by going to MyLJMU and clicking on My Services and then Letter Request. You can do this a maximum of three times. A letter will be generated instantly for you. Please check direct with your bank what documentation they will need to open your account.
  • Most banks are currently opening accounts through their online banking website/apps. Please check before travelling to a branch.
  • When you first open your bank account, they may ask you where your funds will be coming from. Your bank may also charge for accepting payments from abroad.
  • Whatever bank you choose, they will probably offer you a ‘basic bank’ account, which allows you to:
  • Pay money directly into your bank account.
  • Withdraw your money at a cash point (ATM).
  • Pay bills by standing order or direct debit.
  • You may also be issued with a cheque book, but this depends on the bank

Please note:

  • You cannot get credit or an overdraft on a basic account
  • If you change your address it is important that you inform the bank as soon as possible
  • Due to the pandemic most UK bank branches continue to operate on a limited service in order to ensure the safety of their customers and staff. Subsequently most banks cannot offer account opening services through a branch.
  • Guidance for students completing account opening formalities in branches:
  • Students should only go to a branch once advised to do so
  • Students coming from overseas must only visit a branch once any ‘quarantine/self-isolation period’ has expired and NOT before
  • Once advised to visit a branch students will probably need to book an appointment to complete the account opening process
  • Overseas students will be required to present a valid passport, Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) and a Proof of Student Status Letter from the University, available in My LJMU
  • UK banks expect all customers to wear face makes (unless exempt). Customers will only be seen individually and are advised to attend the branch on their own.

Council tax

Council tax is set by local authorities in the UK to help pay for services such as the police, fire brigade and rubbish collection. To be eligible for Council tax exemption you must be on a full-time course for a period of more than 24 weeks. Your eligibility will also depend on who you live with. Council tax exemption forms can be requested through My Services.

More details about council tax.

Islamic banking

If you would like to open a bank account in accordance with Sharia principles, please check your bank’s website for details. Some mainstream banks do offer accounts that meet these principles and there are a few specialist banks that operate in accordance with them. For more details go to the British Bankers’ Association website.

Money management

Managing money can be a challenge for all students; it’s not something that is unique to international students. For most of you this will be the first time you have managed your money and in addition to this everything is in a different currency.  It’s really important you draw up a budget that you can reasonably stick to as soon as possible. Budgeting is essential not only to ensure you are happy and living comfortably but additionally teaches you skills you can apply when you leave university and are working in your chosen career!

This is why we have teamed up with Blackbullion which has a range of money management lessons, tips and ideas to help you on this journey.  

It is available free of charge to all students and staff, just register with your Liverpool John Moores University email address.



About healthcare

Most migrants plus their accompanying dependants who come to the UK for a stay of more than six months will be required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of their visa application. The IHS is currently £300 per student and each dependant per year of leave. This entitles you to use free health services under the National Health Services, although you may be required to pay for some services such as prescriptions and dental treatment.

Please note: You can’t ‘opt out’ of paying the IHS even if you have private medical insurance.

For further information please go to the UKCISA website.

If you have any questions, about healthcare services and charges in the UK, please email:

Registering with a doctor

You are advised to register with a doctor as soon as possible after you arrive in Liverpool. Don’t wait until you are ill. By registering you can get an appointment and urgent treatment when you need it. Once you are in Liverpool, you can find a GP in your local neighbourhood by visiting the NHS website.

If you have any queries about how to register, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

Any LJMU staff and students with COVID-19 symptoms can book a test here in Liverpool. The test centre is open 9am-5pm each day, with results available via text message within 24 hours.

Health insurance

However long your course, it is recommended that you obtain additional health insurance prior to travelling to the UK. Your policy should cover medical costs plus any additional possible costs resulting from illness (such as lost fees if you are unable to complete your course, and the cost of returning to your home country for treatment). Please check that your health insurance covers any pre-existing medical conditions as you are likely not to be covered under the NHS.

Prescription charges

If your doctor prescribes you medicine you will usually have to pay a prescription charge (£9.15 from April 2020). If you are receiving ongoing treatment it may be worth your while getting a Prescription Payment Certificate, which costs £29.65 for three months and £105.90 for 12 months. The Certificate covers all prescription charges during that period.

Dental treatment

You must pay for the cost of any dental treatment you receive in the UK. The cost varies depending on whether you are registered with an NHS or a private dentist. Dental treatment can be very expensive, so you should check the cost before embarking on any course of treatment.

Immigration and visas

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) collection

If you apply for your visa overseas, you must collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from a designated post office in the UK as soon as possible after your arrival in Liverpool.

Your temporary visa, known as a Biometric Immigration Document (or BID), will be valid for up to 90 days prior to the start date for your course (or seven days before your intended date of travel, whichever is later) and you should use this to travel to the UK. You can specify the post office that your BRP will be delivered to by either completing the field for the postcode of your residential address, or that of the University (also known as your ‘sponsor address’).

Please note: LJMU will not take delivery of your BRP, this will be sent to the designated post office. The post offices are aware that some students will need to self-isolate on arrival in the UK and that there may be a short delay in the BRP being collected.

If you do not travel to the UK within the 90 days specified on your temporary visa, you will have to apply for a new BID and you may need to pay for this. If you have any questions about your BRP collection, please contact the International Advice Team on

It is really important that you check your BRP and make sure that all the information on it is correct. If you notice any mistakes, contact International Advice as soon as possible:

Your BRP expiry date should give you enough time to finish your studies at LJMU. Students on both undergraduate and taught postgraduate degree programmes lasting 12 months or more are given an additional four months on their BRP after the completion date for their course. For example, if your course is due to finish in May 2020, you should have a BRP until September 2020.

If you don’t think you have been given the correct expiry date, please email as soon as possible. 

Applying to extend your visa

From 5 October 2020, in order to apply for the Student Route visa you must obtain points for having:

  • Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) – 50 points – your CAS is issued by LJMU.
  • Sufficient money to cover your tuition fees and living costs (or evidence of official sponsorship) - 10 points.
  • English Language Requirement – 10 points.

Apply online: You must apply to extend before your current BRP expires. All Student Route in-country extension applications and out-of-country applications must now be made online. Applications for dependants applying alongside the main applicant as well as separately should also complete the relevant online application.

Due to new academic progression rules that came into force during 2016, it is only possible for Tier 4 (General) students or Student Route students to apply to extend their visa in the UK in certain circumstances. Please contact the International Student Advice Team ( for further information.

Your application date is the day you submit and pay for your application. You must apply before your current BRP expires, although you are given further time in which to post your documents to UK Visas and Immigration or attend your appointment if you are going in person.

Due to the Covid-19 crisis, students applying for their visas in the UK will not be required to make an in person appointment once they submit their application. UKVCAS have changed the way they process visa applications by reusing biometrics for many applicants and will be directing students to use a new IDV app. You should still register with UKVCAS and create a UKVCAS account, you will be directed to do this when you complete your on-line application. You will receive an email from UKVCAS advising you on what to do next. Please do not to download the app or try to make an appointment until you receive an email from UKVCAS inviting you to do so. If you have any questions please contact our International Advice Team on

New Immigration System

The UK Government is introducing a new Points based immigration system. The Tier 4 student route will be replaced by the new student route.

For EEA nationals this will take effect from 1 January 2021. For all other nationals this will apply to any visa applications made from 9am on 5 October 2020.

For a summary of the most important changes, please see the details of the new student immigration route.

If you have any questions about this please contact

Points-based system: workshops

We advise all students to enrol on a student visa workshop before submitting their applications to ensure that they are correct. It is really important to do this as you could face having your visa application refused if you do not submit the correct documents. You will receive emails about these workshops and how to book onto a place.

If you require an ATAS (QCF Level 7 or above), you should apply as soon as possible. For further information visit the GOV UK website.

Information for sponsored students

If you are being sponsored, you must provide a letter from your official financial sponsor to show details of your sponsorship. If you have dependents with you, the letter must also mention this.

To check what qualifies as an official financial sponsor, read the relevant section of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance.

If you are only being partially sponsored, for example, to cover your tuition fees, you must be able to prove that you have sufficient funds to meet UKVI funding requirements for a Tier 4 application.

Financial requirements

If you are a self-sponsored (or partially sponsored) student, you will need to be able to demonstrate you have enough money in your (or your parents) bank account in order to make a successful Tier 4 application.

Currently, maintenance fees for living costs for the main applicant are £1,015 per month, which is capped at nine months. So if you are coming to study for a course of 9 months or more, you will need to demonstrate you have £9,135 (£1,015 x 9) plus your full first year’s tuition fee. If you have paid any of your tuition fees to LJMU, and this is either written on your CAS or on an official receipt, you can deduct this from your bank account. From 1st January 2021 you will be required to demonstrate £1,023 living costs per month, which for nine months would be £9,207, in addition to your tuition fees.

The money needs to be held in your account for a minimum of 28 days. The financial evidence you use should be no more than 31 days old at the time you apply.

If you are eligible to bring dependants with you, you must be able to show you have £680 per dependant per month for their living costs for a maximum of nine months (£6,120).

Remember, you may face severe consequences if you overstay and do not get a BRP extension in time.

For confidential advice and guidance, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

Graduate Immigration Route

New Graduate Route Visa (Post Study Work Visa)

What is the new Graduate Route Visa?

The UK government have published in their Points Based System Immigration System document a proposal to introduce a new Graduate Route Visa in 2021. The Graduate Route will allow successful applicants to stay in the UK for a period of 2 or 3 years after completing studies to work and to look for work

How do you get the Graduate Route Visa?

It is not automatically granted. To obtain the Graduate Route Visa, you will need to meet all the requirements and apply for the visa in the UK once the visa route opens.

The UK Government has stated that they aim to open the route to application from summer 2021. We expect full details to be announced in Spring 2021.

How much will the Graduate Route Visa Cost?

As yet, the government has not announced the exact fee for the Graduate Route visa. However, we would expect the cost to be announced in Spring 2021.

The government has announced, however, that applicants will also have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (I H S) for each year of the visa to be issued. The I H S will be at the normal, higher rate and not the reduced student rate.

What are the requirements to apply for a Graduate Route Visa?

From the information available so far, the following are the main requirements to be able to apply for the Graduate Route Visa.

  • You must have successfully completed an undergraduate, postgraduate or doctoral degree at Liverpool John Moores University (or any other Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance with the Student sponsorship requirements)
  • Your studies must have been completed in full while you were in the UK (except for periods of permitted, required study abroad or distance learning due to Covid-19)
  • Your studies must have been the same as that for which your most recent Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) was issued
  • You must have completed your studies in summer 2021 or later
  • You must apply in the UK, and have a valid Tier 4 or Student visa at the time of application

There will be no financial or maintenance requirements for the Graduate Route Visa application and satisfactory completion of your studies will be evidence of your English language ability.

How long will the Graduate Route Visa be for?

The Graduate Route Visa will be issued for 2 years for successful applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree, and 3 years for successful applicants who completed a doctoral degree (eg, PhD).

What kind of work can you do with a Graduate Route Visa?

You can do most kinds of work with a Graduate Route Visa. There is no minimum qualification or income requirement for the work. You do not require sponsorship from an employer, and you will be free to change jobs as and when necessary.

You will not be able to work as a doctor or dentist in training, nor as a professional sportsperson.

Can you bring your family as dependants with the Graduate Route Visa?

Only graduates who already have their family members with them in the UK as dependants will be able to have their dependents apply. Dependants must apply at the same time as the graduate.

Can you study with a Graduate Route Visa?

Study at a Student Route Sponsor institution will not be permitted. This would exclude studying for example, a master’s degree at most UK universities while in the UK with a Graduate Route visa.

Other study at non Student Route Sponsor institutions will be permitted.

Is there any else you need to know?

If you have been in receipt of Official Financial Sponsorship from a government, you will need to obtain a letter confirming permission from that government for you to apply to the Graduate Route

You can only have the Graduate Route visa once. It is not possible to extend the visa, but it will be possible to switch to another type of visa from the Graduate Route.

If you later wish to apply to switch to the new Skilled Worker Route visa (which will replace Tier 2 in 2021), you can do so if you have a Skilled Worker Route employer who offers sponsorship to you.

As with holders of the Student Visa, holders of the Graduate Route visa applying to switch to the Skilled Worker Route can be considered as ‘new entrants’ for Skilled Worker sponsorship, which means the minimum salary offer to be sponsored can be the lower minimum salary new entrants rate

Disclaimer Please note: The information available here is based on the current information available from the UK Government. We will update our website when full details are announced.

Working in the UK and Liverpool

Part-time work

While you are enrolled as a student at LJMU it is a condition of your visa that you must be able to support yourself financially (and your family, if relevant) without having to rely on earnings from part-time work. This means that you must have the independent financial means to pay your fees plus all your living costs for the duration of your course. However, we recognise that many students want to work while they’re studying as it is an excellent way of developing language and other professional skills. So here is some advice on what you can and can’t do while you are in the UK.

Most international students studying with us on a degree level course or above are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week. Your BRP stamp will tell you if there are any restrictions on you working in the UK. If you breach these conditions you may be fined, detained and/or removed from the UK.

More information about your right to work, finding a job, and applying for a work visa after your studies is available at the UKCISA website.

Unitemps at Liverpool John Moores University is our very own on-campus recruitment agency, providing opportunities for our students to access paid work in support of their study that will strengthen their CV, their employability skills and their organisational awareness. In line with LJMU’s role as a civic university, Unitemps will also simplify routes to accessing degree-level talent for Liverpool City Region businesses. To register, please visit Unitemps.

Students from outside the European Economic Area

If you are a student from outside the EEA then you can usually work in the UK if your course is 6 months or more, but you need to check your BRP to see if you do have permission. Except in the case of an agreed work placement or internship organised in conjunction with the University, international students must not work for more than 20 hours per week during term time; some students are only allowed to work 10 hours, such as those who are studying below degree level.

Remember, as an international student it is important that you:

  • Check your entry clearance sticker in your passport to see how many hours you are allowed to work during term-time. Except in the case of an agreed work placement or internship organised in conjunction with the University, international students must not work for more than 20 hours per week during term time; some students are only allowed to work 10 hours
  • Do not engage in business or self-employment
  • Do not apply for or fill a permanent full-time vacancy

You can find out more information about working in the UK, before and after your studies in UKCISA Guidance notes.

Students from the European Economic Area

If you are a student from the European Economic Area (EEA) you currently do not need permission to work in the UK and there are no restrictions on the number of hours you can work. The countries of the EEA are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, the UK plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Swiss Nationals are not part of the EU or EEA but Swiss nationals have had similar rights to those who are members of the EEA since 2002.

The immigration rules for EEA nationals will change on 01 January 2021.

National Minimum Wage rates

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) is a minimum amount per hour that most workers in the UK are entitled to be paid. Different rates apply depending on your age. Find out the current NMW.

National Insurance numbers

Everyone who works in the UK needs to have a National Insurance number, including international and EU students who want to work part-time during their studies. It is a unique personal reference number that is used to collect your national insurance contributions.

To get a national insurance number you must be actively looking for or started work already. You then need to call the National Insurance Number Helpline (0800 141 2075) to speak to an advisor who will take you through an application form over the telephone. The Helpline is open between 8am and 6pm. You will then receive a letter inviting you to attend an appointment in a local job centre.

You will need to bring the following documents with you to this meeting:

  • Your passport
  • Evidence of where you live (such as a tenancy agreement, or letters addressed to you)
  • Your LJMU student ID card
  • Evidence that you are working (such as an employment contract) or evidence that you are looking for work (such as letters from employers or if you have registered with employment agencies)

If you have any questions, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162