Rex Li

Media, Culture, Communications

Research Group

Learn more about the work the Media, Culture, Communications Research Group undertakes

The Group's aim is to analyse the content, operation and impact of the media, as well as the role of culture and identity in shaping public policy at local, national and international levels.

Research from the Media, Culture and Communications Research Group is hugely varied and falls into two thematic clusters:

Journalism, Media and Communication
 Culture, Identity and Policy
  • Press regulation
  • Responsible and ethical journalism
  • Transnational cinema, especially African-American film
  • European cinema, especially in Greek cinema
  • Documentary film, especially film making practice
  • National identity, security discourse and foreign policy
  • Culture, identity and conflict, especially in East Asia
  • Cultural leadership and cultural policy
  • Digital cultures, especially social media and digital identity
  • Musicology and identity
  • Tourism and identity

In the most recent research assessment (Research Excellence Framework 2014), 58% of the research submitted by the Media, Culture and Communications Research Group was rated as world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) in terms of its originality, significance and rigour, whilst the remaining 42% was rated as internationally or nationally recognised. Furthermore, 70% of the Impact Case Studies submitted for assessment was rated as very considerable (3*) in terms of their reach and significance and 20% of our research was judged as having outstanding impact (4*).

As well as working across Faculties and Schools within Liverpool John Moores University, the Media, Culture and Communications Research Group also collaborates with external academics. Researchers from the Group are currently involved with the Liverpool Film Seminar – a collaborative project with the University of Liverpool that provides a forum for Merseyside scholars and postgraduate students to exchange ideas, network and promote high-quality research within film studies. Many prominent international scholars have presented their research at the seminar series.

Another important collaboration between the Group and the University of Liverpool is the Institute of Cultural Capital. Working with other partner institutions and cultural policy experts, the institute conducts interdisciplinary research that critically examines the role and value of cultural interventions in urban environments.

A major collaborative initiative from this Research Group is the East Asian Security and Peace Project led by Dr Rex Li, which analyses the role of identity in shaping foreign policy discourse and security relations in East Asia. This funded project is linked to a £2.3 million research programme based at Uppsala University in Sweden involving a multidisciplinary team of scholars in Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the United States. To date, the project has produced 12 papers presented at international conferences and four refereed papers and book chapters. Currently, more conference papers and articles are being prepared.

The Media, Culture and Communications Research Group also works with external organisations such as the National Union of Journalists and the Institute of Communication Ethics. The Centre for Responsible Journalism’s expertise is drawn on to support the approach of reporters on The Belfast Telegraph, the UK Daily Express and the journalism website Journalism.co.uk.

The Research Group’s work has had considerable impact on policy-making in various areas. For example, Professor Chris Frost has given evidence at the Leveson Inquiry and to the House of Lords Communications Committee on press regulation. Dr Rex Li is regularly invited to speak at high-level meetings and policy conferences. His research impacts significantly on the policy debate in official and diplomatic circles in the UK and Asia.

In addition to this success, the Group has attracted research funding for a range of projects including:

  • Swedish foundation Riksbankens Jubileumsfond funding for the East Asian Security and Peace Project involving collaboration with scholars in Europe, Asia and the United States
  • Heritage Lottery funding for Our Day Out - a project working on the work of Wirral photographer Keith Medley
  • Onassis foundation funding for a study into Film distribution in Greece: Formal and informal networks of circulation before and since the crisis

Loading staff profiles…

Contact details

Contact the Media, Culture, Communications Research Group

If you’d like to ask a question or find out more about information about this Group, please contact the team using the details below.

Contact: Dr Rex Li, Reader in International Relations

Call: +44 (0)151 231 4836
Email: r.y.li@ljmu.ac.uk

Address:

Faculty of Arts, Professional and Social Studies
Liverpool John Moores University
Redmonds Building
Brownlow Hill
Liverpool
L3 5UG
United Kingdom