CPD Safeguarding in Multi-Professional Practice
Level 7 (postgraduate), 30 Credits
This module will enhance your knowledge relating to the management and implementation of safeguarding policies within a range of health and social care settings and client/service user groups. It is the ideal module if you are a professional working in a health and social care setting and want to expand your understanding of safeguarding policies and practice.
Upon completion, you will be able to:
- synthesise the challenges for professionals engaging with vulnerable people
- critically evaluate policy development in a variety of care settings and client groups and the impact on vulnerable service users
- demonstrate comprehensive understanding of the process of organisational and/or individual change, leading to improved outcomes for individuals and families
- critically evaluate the implications of management decisions in relation to risk in work based/practice settings
Lectures and seminars will be co-facilitated by Nursing and Social Work lecturers, reflecting the multi-professional nature of the course and the student group.
As part of this course you will:
- explore safeguarding in different professional settings and from the context of different social, economic and political perspectives
- consider the challenges and barriers to multi-professional safeguarding practice
- critically evaluate case studies and serious case reviews to positively influence your practice
Theory and research underpins all teaching and learning delivered on this module and informs all learning activities.
Teaching and learning
The 15 week module will be delivered via four face-to-face learning days divided into two sets of two days.
You will also complete one day of online learning, directed by module tutors online via Canvas, LJMU's virtual learning environment.
This safeguarding module will be delivered via:
- large and small group discussions
- case studies
- virtual learning
This will provide you with opportunities to learn from and with each other thereby sharing best practice. The module is also supported by a Twitter feed.
You will also have the opportunity to reflect on your practice and apply new ideas in your work place.
You are expected to attend the timetabled sessions.
To be considered for Safeguarding in Multi Professional Practice, you must:
- be a health or social care professional
- have at least one year post qualification experience
- be able to demonstrate that you have studied at Level 6/7
You will be expected to complete two assignments:
- a reflection on practice
- a presentation
There is one written assignment 'reflection on practice'. The word length for this is 3500 words.
The presentation is 20 minutes long with 10 minutes for questions afterwards.
Each element equates to 50% of the overall mark for the module. The module requires an overall mark of 50% to pass.
This Continuing Professional Development module can be studied within the MSc Advanced Healthcare Practice (Clinical) award framework or as a single CPD.
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.
Further guidance on programme changes.