About this course
Enhance your business or contribute to organisational growth by learning scale up approaches on this Business MBA from LJMU.
- Study on a course designed in response to government and local ambitions for business growth
- Start your studies in September or January
- Learn the key factors that enable business growth
- Enjoy extra flexibility and fit your studies around your existing commitments with part of the course taught via block learning
- Benefit from course content and teaching informed by proprietary business research and academics' close links to business
A 'scale-up' is an enterprise that has experienced significant growth rates in employees and turnover over a number of years.
Nationally, scale-up businesses have been identified as a priority area, recognised by the appointment of a scale up champion in Government who aims to increase the number of businesses maximising opportunities to reach their growth potential. This will feed into the Government's industrial strategy.
MBAs equip managers with a broad and rich understanding of business, enabling them to manage effectively. This scale up MBA focuses on the key areas a business would need to investigate to assess scale up potential. The course combines key management disciplines from the key QAA and CMI benchmark statements with recent national research on the drivers of business scale up.
The programme is structured in three phases. The first phase provides an intensive focused range of interventions aimed at realising the potential of growth within businesses. Stages two and three then draw on these areas to analyse ideas and develop them further to plan and enable accelerated growth. Finally, a strategic project builds the evidence base for scale up strategies, and addresses a significant and strategic area for your business.
Liverpool Business School at Liverpool John Moores University is a member of AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
AACSB International is a global association of leaders in education and business dedicated to supporting and advancing quality business education worldwide. Through membership, accreditation, research, thought leadership, professional development, and advocacy, AACSB partners with over 1,500 organizations, from more than 90 countries globally. Membership or participation in the Global Education Alliance does not imply accreditation.
Liverpool Business School
Postgraduate students and graduates share their experience of studying at Liverpool Business School
Fees and funding
There are many ways to fund postgraduate study for home and international students
The fees quoted at the top of this page cover registration, tuition, supervision, assessment and examinations as well as:
- Library membership with access to printed, multimedia and digital resources
- Access to programme-appropriate software
- Library and student IT support
- Free on-campus wifi via eduroam
Although not all of the following are compulsory/relevant, you should keep in mind the costs of:
- accommodation and living expenditure
- books (should you wish to have your own copies)
- printing, photocopying and stationery
- PC/laptop (should you prefer to use your own)
- mobile phone/tablet (to access online services)
- field trips (travel and activity costs)
- placements (travel expenses and living costs)
- student visas (international students only)
- study abroad opportunities (travel costs, accommodation, visas and immunisations)
- academic conferences (travel costs)
- professional-body membership
- graduation (gown hire etc)
There are many ways to fund postgraduate study for home and international students. From loans to International Scholarships and subject-specific funding, you’ll find all of the information you need on our specialist postgraduate funding pages.
Further your career prospects
LJMU has an excellent employability record with 96% (HESA 2017) of our postgraduates in work or further study six months after graduation. Our applied learning techniques and strong industry connections ensure our students are fully prepared for the workplace on graduation and understand how to apply their knowledge in a real world context.
On graduation from the programme you will see a marked improvement in day-to-day performance, confidence and learning in the workplace, as well as improvements in your ability to demonstrate new skills learnt during the course.
By combining experience with new management thinking developed over the lifetime of the MBA, you will also see improvements in decision-making, contributions to idea generation and business improvement.
Discover the building blocks of your programme
Your programme is made up of a number of core modules which are part of the course framework. Some programmes also have optional modules that can be selected to enhance your learning in certain areas and many feature a dissertation, extended report or research project to demonstrate your advanced learning.
On this programme your modules will explore:
- Accelerating business growth
- Developing the business for scale
- Leadership strategies to enable growth
- A business growth project
This module aims to help you identify your own leadership needs through:
- self-review and an assessment of your business scale-up context
- considering the way leaders engage and equip those around them to scale the business
- developing a growth mind-set
Fast Strategy Market Access
This module aims to help you assess strategy approaches to accelerate business growth by:
- investigating routes to market growth and building customers
- identifying strategies for high growth potential businesses
- learning about support for market entry and access to markets
Productivity, Talent and Excellence
This module aims to help you:
- understand the interplay between productivity, people and performance within excellence frameworks
- identify key business issues that are recognised to underpin growth
Finance for Scale-ups
This module aims to provide knowledge and understanding of the financial aspects of scaling up a business.
Leading Agile Projects and Change
This module aims to provide you with:
- an understanding of the need for responsive projects to grow business and achieve change quickly
- a focus on emerging projects and change practices evidenced in agile and lean approaches
Digital Business, Innovation and Sustainability
This module aims to help you to:
- develop your knowledge and skills to innovate
- focus on digital business and technology as a high potential area to scale-up a business
- appreciate the value of building a sustainable future, both with corporate social responsibility and adopting principles for the long-term benefit of the business and its wider contribution to society
This module enables you to bring together the different strands of scaling up a business and consider how they integrate to develop a business.
Leading Business Growth
This module provides you with the skills and knowledge to lead business growth.
Research Strategies for Practitioners
This module enables you to:
- develop a conceptual framework from which research philosophies, strategies and methods associated with leadership business and management can be critically reviewed
- apply research methods in the strategic leadership/business consultancy project to develop yourself as a reflective, scholarly practitioner
Business Growth Project
This module aims to encourage you to undertake a work-based business growth project. This will enable you to:
- put into practice the skills and knowledge gained during the course
- apply concepts from wider management literature
- conceptualise and propose high performance strategies on growth/sustainable outcomes
An insight into teaching on your course
The course is taught in three day blocks each month.
Our approach to how managers and leaders learn uses proven management and leadership development approaches.
Recognising the workplace as an important place to learn
Learners will apply ideas in the workplace, improving their skills through a range of workplace activities and then reflecting and reviewing this practice with peers on the programme.
Organisational processes can be applied to ensure that individuals plan to develop their own strengths in line with business competencies and values, and to recognise their own personal needs.
Using 'flipped learning'
This reverses the conventional process of teaching by providing the content prior to the teaching and learning session using a virtual learning environment, so that the focus of the workshop becomes about active learning and application of theory to practice.
Coaching and peer-to-peer coaching
Coaching not only enables the individual learner to tailor the programme to meet their needs, but it also provides the opportunity for the organisation to propose business critical skills and values which can become a part of the development activities.
This will be adopted as a supportive and collaborative approach to learning to manage. Action learning will be used to support personal development, where issues and challenges from the workplace can be discussed.
For each theme there is the possibility of designing an in-company project or series of projects to ensure that business needs are met.
Key note speakers will address current issues, emerging practice and thought leadership.
How learning is monitored on your programme
To cater for the wide-ranging content of our courses and the varied learning preferences of our students, we offer a range of assessment methods on each programme. Assessment techniques vary from module to module to reflect relevant assessment approaches and the key learning points of each topic.
All assignments are focused on personal and professional development through reports, essays projects and portfolio development.
Our staff are committed to the highest standards of teaching and learning
I am a Senior Lecturer in Digital Marketing at Liverpool Business School. My research interests are in the broad area of Information Systems, and Business Analytics. I use an interdisciplinary approach of data science techniques to address a range of real organisations’ problems such as measuring and managing customer experience and customer loyalty. Other research interests include information systems and corporate governance. I have published various conferences, book chapters and journals.I have designed, implemented, and taught modules at the intersection of organisations and digital technology at undergraduate, postgraduate and executive levels. My module development is based on research and industrial examples to encourage students' critical thinking, creativity, and practicality in tackling real-life business problems.
MBA Scale up provides a great opportunity for those wishing to resolve issues in their organisation through creativity, critical thinking and practicality.
Postgraduate and Academic Staff Lead
What you can expect from your School
The School is based in the Redmonds Building, in the heart of the bustling Mount Pleasant Campus and Liverpool’s growing Knowledge Quarter. The building is home to high quality lecture theatres and seminar rooms, social spaces, and a café. It is only a short walk from LJMU’s Aldham Robarts Library, which contains all the resources you will require for your studies, and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Liverpool Business School also has a dedicated Management Development Suite, based in a listed building in the historic Georgian Quarter of Liverpool and a short walk from the Redmonds Building. The building has recently undergone £1.2 million investment to provide a professional learning space.
Order your brochure Research
You will need:
- an undergraduate degree
- a minimum of two years' relevant workplace experience
- to attend an interview
- a demonstrable ability to study at this level
- IELTS 6.0 (minimum 5.5 in each component)
- RPL is accepted on this programme
- The programme leader will sometimes set a GMAT score and request references if a candidate cannot attend interview
If you have any specific queries, please contact email@example.com
Application and selection
Securing your place at LJMU
You will apply for the majority of postgraduate courses using our online application form. You should complete the form thoroughly and provide a detailed personal statement which reflects your suitability and aptitude for the programme.
The University reserves the right to withdraw or make alterations to a course and facilities if necessary; this may be because such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University. Where this does happen, the University operates a policy of consultation, advice and support to all enrolled students affected by the proposed change to their course or module.
Further information on the terms and conditions of any offer made, our admissions policy and the complaints and appeals process.