About this course
This MBA Scale-Ups Masters level degree apprenticeship has been designed in conjunction with the Chartered Management Institute to help businesses to achieve growth.
- Focuses on the key areas a business would need to investigate to assess the scale-up potential
- Addresses an emerging national priority to help business growth, as identified by the ScaleUp Institute's independent report to Government
- Meets business needs and is tailored to the individual learner, with flexible start dates available
- Applies proven management and leadership development approaches
- Benefit from committed, experienced and insightful teaching teams with strong backgrounds in business
- Equips students with the knowledge and tools required for today's unpredictable business environment
- Enjoy learner coaching and regular workplace visits which are built into the programme
- Offers employers a customised programme with in-company delivery options to suit your business needs
A 'scale-up' is an enterprise that is experiencing significant growth rates in terms of employees and turnover over a number of years. This programme is suitable for those experiencing growth and wishing to scale up what they do and those who wish to maximise identified indications of growth.
Nationally, scale-up businesses have been identified as a priority area, recognised by the appointment of a scale up champion in Government who aims to increase the number of businesses maximising opportunities to reach their growth potential. This will feed into the Government's Industrial Strategy.
Liverpool Business School has developed this MBA, which complements the work that the ScaleUp Institute is doing with organisations and supports wider Government objectives for scale-ups.
Learn more about Degree Apprenticeships.
Liverpool Business School at Liverpool John Moores University is a member of AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
AACSB International is a global association of leaders in education and business dedicated to supporting and advancing quality business education worldwide. Through membership, accreditation, research, thought leadership, professional development, and advocacy, AACSB partners with over 1,500 organizations, from more than 90 countries globally. Membership or participation in the Global Education Alliance does not imply accreditation.
Liverpool Business School
Further your career prospects
LJMU has an excellent employability record with 96% (HESA 2017) of our postgraduates in work or further study six months after graduation. Our applied learning techniques and strong industry connections ensure our students are fully prepared for the workplace on graduation and understand how to apply their knowledge in a real world context.
On graduation from this course you will see a marked improvement in day-to-day performance, confidence and learning in the workplace, as well as improvements in your ability to demonstrate new skills learnt during the course.
By combining experience with new management thinking developed over the lifetime of the MBA, you will see improvements in decision-making, contributions to idea generation and business improvement.
Find out what you will study in each of the four phases of this MBA.
Your studies, on this programme, will feature four phases:
Phase 1: Accelerating Business Growth - provides an intensive focused range of interventions aimed at realising the potential of growth within businesses.
Phase 2: Developing the Business for Scale – brings together the different strands of scaling up a business investigated in phase 1 and considers how they integrate in order to develop a business. The focus is on the business development needs and strategies for accelerated growth.
Phase 3: Leadership Strategies to Enable Growth - the leadership strategies needed to encourage growth in the business. This emphasises individual leadership and the importance of equipping other leaders within the organisation to enable growth./p>
Phase 4: Business Growth Project – brings the strands together in to a significant project aimed at impacting the business.
This module aims to help you identify your own leadership needs through:
- self-review and an assessment of your business scale-up context
- considering the way leaders engage and equip those around them to scale the business
- developing a growth mind-set
Fast Strategy Market Access
This module aims to help you assess strategy approaches to accelerate business growth by:
- investigating routes to market growth and building customers
- identifying strategies for high growth potential businesses
- learning about support for market entry and access to markets
Productivity, Talent and Excellence
This module aims to help you:
- understand the interplay between productivity, people and performance within excellence frameworks
- identify key business issues that are recognised to underpin growth
Finance for Scale-ups
This module aims to provide knowledge and understanding of the financial aspects of scaling up a business.
Leading Agile Projects and Change
This module aims to provide you with:
- an understanding of the need for responsive projects to grow business and achieve change quickly
- a focus on emerging projects and change practices evidenced in agile and lean approaches
Digital Business, Innovation and Sustainability
This module aims to help you to:
- develop your knowledge and skills to innovate
- focus on digital business and technology as a high potential area to scale-up a business
- appreciate the value of building a sustainable future, both with corporate social responsibility and adopting principles for the long-term benefit of the business and its wider contribution to society
This module enables you to bring together the different strands of scaling up a business and consider how they integrate to develop a business.
Leading Business Growth
This module provides you with the skills and knowledge to lead business growth.
Research Strategies for Practitioners
This module enables you to:
- develop a conceptual framework from which research philosophies, strategies and methods associated with leadership business and management can be critically reviewed
- apply research methods in the strategic leadership/business consultancy project to develop yourself as a reflective, scholarly practitioner
Business Growth Project
This module aims to encourage you to undertake a work-based business growth project. This will enable you to:
- put into practice the skills and knowledge gained during the course
- apply concepts from wider management literature
- conceptualise and propose high performance strategies on growth/sustainable outcomes
An insight into teaching on your course
The course is taught in blocks of three days, each month.
Our approach to how managers and leaders learn uses proven management and leadership development approaches.
At the centre of our philosophy is the notion that we learn best from experience and applying our learning, so action learning and coaching are a key part of our programmes.
This approach encourages strong peer learning groups where managers can learn from each other. Students are encouraged to share how learning has been applied and improved practice in their own workplace.
The programme is personalised to individuals and customised for businesses so that they can apply the necessary management practices to ensure that:
- learning results in improved workplace performance
- skills are practiced and knowledge applied
- time away from work is kept to a minimum with learning happening in the workplace
Teaching approaches include recognising the workplace as a place to learn, self-development planning, flipped learning, coaching and peer-to-peer coaching, action learning, projects and masterclasses.
See our Masters and Degree Level Apprenticeships brochure for further information on our teaching approaches.
How learning is monitored on your programme
To cater for the wide-ranging content of our courses and the varied learning preferences of our students, we offer a range of assessment methods on each programme. Assessment techniques vary from module to module to reflect relevant assessment approaches and the key learning points of each topic.
All assignments are applied to the workplace and include reports, presentations, projects and portfolio development.
In addition to LJMU assignments throughout the course, learners will undertake an end point assessment to ensure they meet the Masters level apprenticeship standard.
LJMU academic staff will visit apprentices in the workplace at various points throughout the duration of study. This is to ensure that apprentices are building their portfolio and linking learning to their current role.
Our staff are committed to the highest standards of teaching and learning
I am a Senior Lecturer in Digital Marketing at Liverpool Business School. My research interests are in the broad area of Information Systems, and Business Analytics. I use an interdisciplinary approach of data science techniques to address a range of real organisations’ problems such as measuring and managing customer experience and customer loyalty. Other research interests include information systems and corporate governance. I have published various conferences, book chapters and journals. I have designed, implemented, and taught modules at the intersection of organisations and digital technology at undergraduate, postgraduate and executive levels. My module development is based on research and industrial examples to encourage students' critical thinking, creativity, and practicality in tackling real-life business problems.
MBA Scale up provides a great opportunity for those wishing to resolve issues in their organisation through creativity, critical thinking and practicality.
Postgraduate and Academic Staff Lead
What you can expect from your School
The School is based in the Redmonds Building, in the heart of the bustling Mount Pleasant Campus and Liverpool’s growing Knowledge Quarter. The building is home to high quality lecture theatres and seminar rooms, social spaces, and a café. It is only a short walk from LJMU’s Aldham Robarts Library, which contains all the resources you will require for your studies, and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Liverpool Business School also has a dedicated Management Development Suite, based in a listed building in the historic Georgian Quarter of Liverpool and a short walk from the Redmonds Building. The building has recently undergone £1.2 million investment to provide a professional learning space.
Order your brochure Research
You will need:
- an undergraduate degree
- a minimum of two years' relevant workplace experience
- to attend an interview
- a demonstrable ability to study at this level
- IELTS 6.0 (minimum 5.5 in each component)
- RPL is accepted on this programme
- The programme leader will sometimes set a GMAT score and request references if a candidate cannot attend interview
If you have any specific queries, please contact email@example.com
Application and selection
Securing your place at LJMU
You will apply for the majority of postgraduate courses using our online application form. You should complete the form thoroughly and provide a detailed personal statement which reflects your suitability and aptitude for the programme.
The University reserves the right to withdraw or make alterations to a course and facilities if necessary; this may be because such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University. Where this does happen, the University operates a policy of consultation, advice and support to all enrolled students affected by the proposed change to their course or module.
Further information on the terms and conditions of any offer made, our admissions policy and the complaints and appeals process.