BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering | Part-time
Why study Civil Engineering | Part-time at Liverpool John Moores University?
- Professionally accredited degree programme
- Part time day release programme, ideally suited to those working in industry
- 6 million invested in state-of-the-art teaching facilities
- Stepping stone to a varied career with UK and overseas employment opportunities
- International Foundation Year course available offering direct progression onto this degree programme - visit LJMU's International Study Centre to find out more
About your course
The professionally-accredited BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering at Liverpool John Moores University offers you excellent placement options and is the ideal preparation for a varied and interesting career in the world of civil engineering.
If you are interested in creating the structures that support life's basic needs for water, flood control, hospitals, recreation and transport, the Civil Engineering degree at LJMU is a good place to start.
A Civil Engineer needs to be competent technically, practical in outlook and capable of giving professional advice on a variety of subjects ranging from design to construction and site management.
The degree in Civil Engineering gives you plenty of opportunities to apply your studies to real situations, supported by employers from industry who provide case studies and suggestions for projects.
Other study options:
"Many of our civil engineering students obtain employment before the end of their final academic year."
The accrediting body for this degree is the Joint Board of Moderators for the Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Structural Engineers, Institute of Highway Engineers, and the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation. Please see www.jbm.org.uk for further information.
This degree is accredited as:
- Fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
- Partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng). A programme of accredited Further Learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng. See www.jbm.org.uk for further information and details of further learning programmes for CEng.
Ultimately, with relevant work experience and a masters-level degree, the degree can lead to the professional qualification of Chartered Engineer (CEng) and the equivalent European Qualification of EurIng.
Fees and funding
There are many ways to fund study for home and international students
The fees quoted above cover registration, tuition, supervision, assessment and examinations as well as:
- Library membership with access to printed, multimedia and digital resources
- Access to programme-appropriate software
- Library and student IT support
- Free on-campus wifi via eduroam
Although not all of the following are compulsory/relevant, you should keep in mind the costs of:
- accommodation and living expenditure
- books (should you wish to have your own copies)
- printing, photocopying and stationery
- PC/laptop (should you prefer to purchase your own for independent study and online learning activities)
- mobile phone/tablet (to access online services)
- field trips (travel and activity costs)
- placements (travel expenses and living costs)
- student visas (international students only)
- study abroad opportunities (travel costs, accommodation, visas and immunisations)
- academic conferences (travel costs)
- professional-body membership
- graduation (gown hire etc)
There are many ways to fund study for home and international students. From loans to International Scholarships and subject-specific funding, you'll find all of the information you need on our specialist funding pages.
Our civil engineering graduates have little difficulty in securing employment; in fact many students receive a number of job offers.
Many of you will want to stay with your current employer, but some may move on to other employment at some stage in your career development. Career opportunities are varied and interesting. You may work on site, or in office-based design work. Good opportunities exist for work both overseas and in the UK, on projects such as the river management and flood prevention, tall buildings, football stadia, bridges, roads and water treatment works.
A degree in Civil Engineering will provide you with a wide range of transferable skills, and the education provided prepares you for a wide range of employment opportunities.
Student Futures - Careers, Employability and Enterprise Service
A wide range of opportunities and support is available to you, within and beyond your course, to ensure our students experience a transformation in their career trajectory. Every undergraduate curriculum includes Future Focus during Level 4, an e-learning resource and workshop designed to help you to develop your talents, passion and purpose.
Every student has access to Careers Zone 24/7, LJMU's suite of online Apps, resources and jobs board via the LJMU Student Futures website. There are opportunities for flexible, paid and part-time work through Unitemps, LJMU's in-house recruitment service, and we also offer fully funded Discovery Internships.
One-to-one careers and employability advice is available via our campus-based Careers Zones and we offer a year-round programme of events, including themed careers and employability workshops, employer events and recruitment fairs. Our Start-Up Hub can help you to grow your enterprise skills and to research, plan and start your own business or become a freelancer.
A suite of learning experiences, services and opportunities is available to final year students to help ensure you leave with a great onward plan. You can access LJMU's Careers, Employability and Start-up Services after you graduate and return for one-to-one support for life.
LJMU aims to make international opportunities available to every student. You may be able to study abroad as part of your degree at one of our 100+ partner universities across the world. You could also complete a work placement or apply for one of our prestigious worldwide internship programmes. If you wanted to go abroad for a shorter amount of time, you could attend one of our 1-4 week long summer schools.
Our Go Citizen Scheme can help with costs towards volunteering, individual projects or unpaid placements anywhere in the world. With all of these opportunities at your feet, why wouldn’t you take up the chance to go abroad?
Find out more about the opportunities we have available via our Instagram @ljmuglobalopps or email us at: email@example.com.
News and views
Browse through the latest stories and updates from the University and beyond
What you will study on this degree
Please see guidance below on core and option modules for further information on what you will study.
Further guidance on modules
Modules are designated core or optional in accordance with professional body requirements, as applicable, and LJMU’s Academic Framework Regulations. Whilst you are required to study core modules, optional modules provide you with an element of choice. Their availability may vary and will be subject to meeting minimum student numbers.
Whilst you are required to study core modules, optional modules may also be included to provide you with an element of choice within the programme. The availability of optional modules may vary from year to year and will be subject to meeting minimum student numbers.
Where changes to modules are necessary these will be communicated as appropriate.
Engineering Mathematics I
Structural Analysis and Design I
Surveying and CAD
Infrastructure Design and Skills Project
Surveying and Transportation
Engineering Mathematics II
Structural Analysis and Design II
Work Based Learning Project
Transportation and Infrastructure
Applied Geotechnics and Design
Structural Design and Risk Management
Water Supply and Wastewater Management
Teaching and work-related learning
Excellent facilities and learning resources
We adopt an active blended learning approach, meaning you will experience a combination of face-to-face and online learning during your time at LJMU. This enables you to experience a rich and diverse learning experience and engage fully with your studies. Our approach ensures that you can easily access support from your personal tutor, either by meeting them on-campus or via a video call to suit your needs.
Teaching on the course is via a combination of lectures, laboratory work, tutorials, workshops, online activities and practical sessions, combined with your own research using our library and the web. You will spend one full day at Liverpool John Moores University per week, plus a few occasional additional days (in particular there is a 4 day surveying field course at level 5). You will also be expected to spend time in private study, and in integrating your theory with practical knowledge through your work place.
Optional modules allow part-time students to integrate their theoretical learning with their work experience under the guidance of work place mentor and LJMU supervisor.
Support and guidance
Dedicated personal tutor, plus study skills support
Throughout the course you will have the support of a personal tutor who can provide one-to-one guidance and advice on course-related issues.
Assessment varies depending on the modules you choose, but will usually include a combination of exams and coursework.
We recognise that all students perform differently depending on the type of assessment they are asked to do, and so a variety of assessment methods are used. These include exams (open and closed book), coursework (projects, technical reports, reviews, etc), and presentations (individual and group). Your tutors will give prompt and constructive feedback via Canvas (our virtual learning environment), face-to-face or in writing. This will help you to identify your strengths as well as the areas where you may need to put in more work.
Where you will study
What you can expect from your School
This programme is delivered in the Byrom Street complex of LJMUs City Campus. Here you'll find high quality lecture theatres, meeting and seminar rooms plus social spaces and a large café. The Avril Robarts Library is just minutes away on Tithebarn Street.
Please choose your qualifications below to view requirements
Minimum points required from qualifications: 112
GCSEs and equivalents
Prior to starting the programme applicants must have obtained Grade C or Grade 4 or above in English Language and Mathematics GCSE or an approved alternative qualification below:
- Key Skills Level 2 in English/ Maths
- NVQ Level 2 Functional skills in Maths and English Writing and or Reading
- Skills for Life Level 2 in Numeracy/English
- Higher Diploma in Maths/ English
- Functional Skills Level 2 in Maths/ English
- Northern Ireland Essential Skills Level 2 in Communication or Application of Number
- Wales Essential Skills Level 2 in Communication or Application of Number
- Minimum number of A Levels required: 2
- Subject specific requirements: While Mathematics 'A' level is not a requirement, students would benefit from having either AS in mathematics or an 'A' level in a subject with some mathematical content
- Is general studies acceptable? No
- Average A Level offer: BBC
- Are AS level awards acceptable? Acceptable only when combined with other qualifications
- National Certificate (RQF): Acceptable only when combined with other qualifications
- National Extended Certificate: Acceptable only when combined with other qualifications
- National Diploma (RQF): Acceptable on its own and combined with other qualifications
- National Diploma subjects / grades required: To the total of 112 UCAS points when combined with other qualifications.
- National Extended Diploma (RQF): Acceptable on its own and combined with other qualifications
- National Extended Diploma subjects / grades required: DMM if studied on its own or to the total of 112 UCAS points if combined with other qualifications. Should be studying an appropriate subject, normally Building Services Engineering or another Engineering discipline
- Access to Higher Education Diploma acceptability: Acceptable on its own and combined with other qualifications
- Further information: Pass with Merit average at Level 3. Recommended subject streams are: Engineering; Science
- International Baccalaureate: Acceptable on its own and combined with other qualifications
- Additional information: 112 points from IB Diploma
- Irish Leaving Certificate: Acceptable on its own and combined with other qualifications
- Grades / subjects required: Applicants should be studying at least three subjects at Higher Level
- Welsh Baccalaureate: Acceptable only when combined with other qualifications
- T Level requirements: 112 UCAS tariff points from relevant subjects. Please contact the Faculty for further information.
Alternative qualifications considered
Applicants studying an HND or Foundation Degree in Civil Engineering will be considered for direct entry into Level 2. An HND with Merit grades in at least 6 units or Foundation Degree at 60% overall would be required
No interview required (UCAS application form only)
Reduced offer scheme
As part of LJMU’s commitment to widening access we offer eligible students entry to their chosen course at a reduced threshold of up to 16/8 UCAS points. This applies if you are a student who has been in local authority care or if you have participated in one of LJMU’s sustained outreach initiatives, e.g. Summer University. Please contact the admission office for further details.
Please Note: All international qualifications are subject to a qualification equivalency check.
Application and selection
Securing your place at LJMU
To apply for this programme, you are required to complete an LJMU online application. You will need to provide details of previous qualifications and a personal statement outlining why you wish to study this programme.
The University reserves the right to withdraw or make alterations to a course and facilities if necessary; this may be because such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University. Where this does happen, the University operates a policy of consultation, advice and support to all enrolled students affected by the proposed change to their course or module.
Further information on the terms and conditions of any offer made, our admissions policy and the complaints and appeals process.
MEng Architectural Engineering
Find out more about studying for an MEng (Hons) degree in Architectural Engineering at LJMU. Apply now to take the next steps towards your future.
BEng (Hons) Architectural Engineering with Foundation Year
Find out more about studying for a BEng (Hons) degree in Architectural Engineering with Foundation Year at LJMU. Apply now to take the next steps to your future.
BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology
Find out more about studying for a BSc (Hons) degree in Architectural Technology at LJMU. Apply now to take the next steps towards your future.
BA (Hons) Architecture
Find out more about studying for a BA (Hons) degree in Architecture at LJMU. Apply now to take the next steps towards your future.
BA (Hons) Architecture with Foundation Year
Find out more about studying for a BA (Hons) degree in Architecture with Foundation Year at LJMU. Apply now to take the next steps towards your future.
BSc (Hons) Audio and Music Production
Find out more about studying for a BSc (Hons) degree in Audio and Music Production at LJMU. Apply now to take the next steps towards your future.
BEng (Hons) Building Services Engineering | Part-time
Find out more about studying for a BEng (Hons) degree in Building Services Engineering at LJMU. Apply now to take the next steps towards your future.
MEng Building Services Engineering | Part-time
Find out more about studying for a MEng degree in Building Services Engineering at LJMU. Apply now to take the next steps towards your future.
BSc (Hons) Building Surveying
Find out more about studying for a BSc degree in Building Surveying at LJMU. Apply now to take the next steps towards your future.
MEng Civil and Environmental Engineering
Find out more about studying for a MEng (Hons) degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering at LJMU. Apply now to take the next steps towards your future.