Advancing Leadership for Quality
Level 7, 20 Credits
This programme aims to enhance your effective leadership and team working skills through action learning. You will:
- critically analyse the meaning and importance of team work and leadership while completing on a work-based issue
- use action learning to build upon your existing personal leadership and professional abilities and develop these further
- explore the impact of learning through action learning on personal leadership development and organisational development
This course is delivered across one semester, through 12 half days of academic study at the university.
The total cost for this CPD module is £840.
The course is delivered via lectures and discussions in action learning sets, largely led by student ideas. The action learning method draws upon the existing skills and knowledge in the student group to achieve learning outcomes, while also addressing real issues raised by students.
You will work in sets with other students, sharing experiences, identifying actions for further development and resolving issues.
More formal resource sessions will be used to introduce concepts and for information giving.
12 half days over one semester at the University.
The Advancing Leadership programme is designed to provide a contemporary perspective on the principles and policies related to leadership and change management in the present NHS / public sector structure. The learning process will empower you to deal with issues relating to leadership and team development.
While the outline syllabus will be driven and informed by you and other course participants, it is anticipated that the following topics may be addressed during the course:
- the process of action learning
- concepts and theories of leadership and management
- tools for leadership and management, problem solving and decision making
- effective leadership behaviours
- emotion management in the work place
- team working, team development and collaborative working
- professional and legal accountability
- organisational change
The dilemmas and practical problems that you have, particularly in relation to organisational culture/structures and quality issues, will also be considered.
Recent advances and research activity in relevant fields will also be taken into consideration
You will be assessed via a 4,500 word essay.
Assessment comprises of an extended essay to examine the role of leadership within the students own work context.
You must be able to satisfy the following entry requirements:
- You must be employed within a health or social care setting, PLUS
- Have the minimum academic entry requirements of a first degree OR
- In exceptional circumstances, if you do not have the relevant Level 6 credits, you may gain entry to the programme by virtue of a strong portfolio, which provides evidence of significant achievement
If this exception applies to you, you must also:
- Hold a Diploma in Higher Education in a related area, such as Nursing, Health Studies, Healthcare Management or another Healthcare discipline
- Provide written work that is equivalent to the standard of a first degree, for example papers presented at conferences, publications, reports, innovative proposals and/or successful project management experience
September 2020 - see timetable
January 2021 - see timetable
This Continuing Professional Development can be studied within the MSc Advanced Healthcare Practice (Clinical) award framework or as a standalone CPD.
How to apply
Please apply using the online application form selecting Postgraduate Taught from the Level of Entry drop down.
Further information is available in our CPD for healthcare professionals brochure.
Faculty Admissions Team
Faculty of Health
Liverpool John Moores University
79 Tithebarn Street
Liverpool L2 2ER
T: 0151 231 5829
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.