Professional Practice in Palliative Care
Level 7, 30 Credits
This course is aimed at generalist health and social care professionals. It is designed to:
- enhance your palliative care practice and understanding
- promote high quality care for all those approaching the end of their lives, whatever their condition or place of residence
The delivery will be over a twelve week period attending alternate weeks. There are six full day attendances plus an additional halfday tutorial support and an option for on line activity. The remaining weeks at the end of the module will support assessment completion.
Materials used in this module will be available electronically via ‘Canvas’. The module will be delivered by health and social care academics as well as clinical experts.
The total cost for this CPD module is £1,050.
The module will be delivered by health and social care academics as well as clinical experts, and will include:
- 6 full day attendances at LJMU including tutorial support
- The remaining weeks at the end of the module will support assessment completion
- Course materials will be available electronically via Blackboard, LJMU's virtual learning environment
- The module will be delivered by health and social care academics as well as clinical experts
There is a requirement for full attendance for each of the sessions, whether they are in class or through the technology enhanced learning environment.
Topics covered on the Professional Practice in Palliative Care programme include:
- Assessment and management of pain and other distressing symptoms
- End of life care service provision
- Ethics and palliative care
- Communication challenges in the palliative care assessment process
- Supporting those with additional needs in palliative care
- Support mechanisms for patients, families and staff
- Loss and bereavement and spiritual care
You will be asked to:
- Deliver a presentation to academic staff and students to demonstrate understanding and critical awareness of current changes and contemporary approaches to palliative care service provision
- Write a 3,500 word essay to critically evaluate current research and evidence based practice in palliative care and systematically and creatively apply sound judgement to solve own problems in dealing with complex challenges in the palliative care context
In order to be considered for this course, you must:
- be currently registered as a health or social care professional
- be currently employed with a health or social care organisation
- demonstrate that you have successfully studied at Level 6 or have carried out roles and responsibilities suitable for Level 7
This Continuing Professional Development module can be studied within the MSc Advanced Healthcare Practice (Clinical) award framework or as a single CPD.
January 2019 - see timetable
How to apply
Please apply using the online application form selecting Postgraduate Taught from the Level of Entry drop down.
Further information is available in our CPD courses for healthcare professionals brochure.
Faculty Admissions Team
Faculty of Education, Health and Community
Liverpool John Moores University
79 Tithebarn Street
Liverpool L2 2ER
T: 0151 231 5829
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.