Advancing Tissue Viability
Level 6, 20 credits
Completing this course will equip the learner to gain the appropriate knowledge, skills and critical understanding of tissue viability required to improve the care of individuals with, or at risk from, tissue viability problems.
The course is part time and lasts for 12 weeks, of which some will be allocated to self-directed study. The programme involves classroom attendance, which is further supported by a range of learning support tools.
The total cost for this CPD module is £800.
Class room attendance is required.
This course is designed to enable the student to critically analyse, from a holistic perspective, factors affecting tissue viability and wound management, whilst ensuring the psychological and physical well-being of the patient is addressed.
Wound bed preparation and dressing/treatment choices will be examined, in line with National and International guidelines, to ensure safe, efficient, high quality tissue viability care is delivered. The student will be able to demonstrate their ability to improve an area of practice in their own practice environment.
The following topics will be addressed during the course:
- Anatomy and physiology of the skin
- The wound healing process
- Primary and secondary wound healing
- Holistic wound assessment
- Acute and chronic wound management
- Wound bed preparation
- Factors affecting the wound healing process
- Aseptic Non Touch Technique and simple wound dressings
- Professional judgement for decision-making
- Wound dressing selection
- Wound infection and biofilms
- Pressure ulcer prevention and management
- Wound debridement
- Ethical and legal issues in tissue viability
- National and International best practice and policies
- Quality targets
- Optimising physical and psychological wellbeing for the person living with a wound
- Skin care across the age spectrum
- End of life skin care
4500 word written assignment. patient focused. Pass rate 40%.
In order to be considered for this course, you should:
- be practicing as a healthcare professional within an area of practice relevant to tissue viability
- have regular contact and responsibilities for patients
CPD Apply - Bands 4 and above.
Self-funding applicants- Ideally candidates will have a minimum of a diploma (level 5).
Students are also accepted onto the programme as part of the international Top up degrees for nurses and paramedics.
This Continuing Professional Development course can be studied within the BSc (Hons) Health and Social Care Development award framework or as a single CPD.
Dates for the coming year will be available shortly.
How to apply
Please apply using the online application form selecting undergraduate from the Level of Entry drop down.
Further information is available in our CPD for healthcare professionals brochure.
Faculty Admissions Team
Faculty of Education, Health and Community
Liverpool John Moores University
79 Tithebarn Street
Liverpool L2 2ER
T: 0151 231 5829