Supporting Learning and Assessment in Practice
Non-credit bearing (mentorship)
Nurses and midwives who successfully complete this programme will be awarded an NMC validated mentorship qualification. This will allow you to be recorded as a stage 2 mentor.
This CPD module will enable you to develop your approach to supporting and assessing learning in practice and apply the best evidence in practice to promote the development of yourself and others.
The total cost for this CPD module is £640.
A variety of teaching methods are utilised and include lectures, group work, and reflective discussion. Engagement with online materials is essential. Videos and presentations using ‘Panopto’ are available to all students in addition to directed reading and online activities. Regular feedback either face-to-face in class or via email or tutorial appointments will support students with the development of their portfolio.
3 full days at LJMU's Tithebarn Building, Tithebarn Street, Liverpool.
Use of the virtual learning environment (Canvas) supports classroom sessions with links to reading and online activities.
This multi-professional course uses current research and literature to cover the topics of mentorship, facilitation of learning and student support:
- communication methods and working relationships with students and with the inter-professional team are examined
- equality, diversity and the supporting of students with additional needs are embedded into the syllabus
- learning theories and styles, teaching strategies and lesson planning are all discussed and explored together with the principles of assessment and accountability
- students also examine developing the clinical learning environment and leadership in relation to the learner. Classroom and online activities are strongly linked to the students’ practice as a mentor
- where appropriate, sign-off mentor preparation is covered
- nurses and midwives who successfully complete this programme will be awarded an NMC validated mentorship qualification. This will allow them to be recorded as a stage 2 mentor
Assessment is by submission of a portfolio. Though there are no credits attached to the module, the NMC require that work is written at level 5. The academic component consists of 3 small (500 word) reflections. The portfolio consists of the reflections, and evidence to demonstrate the NMC domains and learning outcomes of the module have been met. In addition students are assessed in practice and need to evidence 30 hours of mentoring activity and reflection via a reflective log.
In order to be accepted onto this course, you should:
- be a health professional supporting learners in practice
- have been on your professional register for a minimum of 9 months
- have the support of a mentor in practice who will assess you
- have access to learners in your clinical area for the duration of the course
This Continuing Professional Development is stand-alone and is not within a wider award framework.
October 2018 - see timetable
November 2018 - see timetable
March 2019 - see timetable
How to apply
If your course is to be funded by Health Education England North, please apply using the online application form. You need to contact your Trust Education and Training Lead, or Practice Education Facilitator for further advice on this process. Please ensure that you state on your personal statement section that funding has been agreed by (name/Trust).
If you are funding the course yourself, please apply using the online application form selecting undergraduate from the Level of Entry drop down.
Further information is available in our CPD for healthcare professionals brochure.
Faculty Admissions Team
Faculty of Education, Health and Community
Liverpool John Moores University
79 Tithebarn Street
Liverpool L2 2ER
T: 0151 231 5829
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.