Covert Techniques – Legislation and Operational Capability
Level 7, 20 credits
This CPD course will initially consider the governing legislation and procedures relating to the deployment of covert techniques and will critically assess the argument and balance between privacy against safety and security.
You will assess the various covert methods and technical equipment that is currently available and will examine the relevant law, procedures and guidance that govern the use of covert techniques in both reactive and proactive investigations.
The course will evaluate the regulations, benefits and risks of managing the product from covert activities together with the authorisation processes and levels of governance, scrutiny and accountability that are in place.
This module is only available for the closed client group of officers and staff employed by law enforcement agencies who have the current level of vetting, as required by their respective employer, to be deployed in this area of investigation.
7 sessions run over a 18 week period
21 taught hours
200 learning hours
The total cost for this CPD module is £760 on-site delivery at LJMU for UK domiciled students. Other delivery options are available – costs on enquiry.
Learning is on a part-time basis and through delivery on-site (at LJMU), off-site or through a blended delivery process incorporating some distance learning. Delivery will be supported by LJMU’s Virtual Learning Environment, Canvas. While the intake month is flexible, with the module being able to commence in semester 1, semester 2 or the summer period, the duration of study will usually last 18 weeks. Guest lecturers will be used on this programme and Masterclasses are likely to be run in parallel with each module. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend these events if calendars allow.
After completing the module you should be able to:
- Critically assess the current legislation and procedures relating to the use of covert techniques by law enforcement agencies
- Compare and evaluate the balance of views between the right to privacy against the requirement for safety and security
- Critically assess the type of techniques and technical equipment available, how these may be used in both reactive and proactive investigations and how the product from such deployments is effectively managed
- Evaluate and measure the Governance, scrutiny and accountability that is in place to manage the use of covert techniques and equipment by public authorities
- 2500 word essay
- 10 minute presentation and poster
- First degree at 2:2 or above, international equivalent or through RPEL
- This CPD module is ONLY open to recruitment for the closed client group of officers and staff employed by law enforcement agencies who have the current level of vetting, as required by their respective employer, to be deployed in this area of investigation
This 20-credit module is studied as a single CPD programme and can contribute towards further studies at Level 7.
How we handle your data
We will use the information in this form to process and respond to your request and to comply with our legal obligations.
For further information as to how we handle your data, please see the Information Compliance Privacy Notice.
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.