Effective Use of CCTV in Intelligence and Investigation
Level 7, 20 Credits
The programme will assess the use of CCTV in the investigation process and the debate between privacy -v- safety and security. You will appraise the various types of equipment that are available in the deployment of covert and overt CCTV, the practicalities of recovery, the subsequent examination processes and the limitations of the product.
You will assess the use and benefits of CCTV recordings in the investigation process, making the comparison between use in reactive and proactive inquiries including assessments around parameters, enquiries to trace and recover footage and the authorisation levels for the covert or targeted use in an investigation.
The programme will evaluate the processes, benefits and risks of utilising CCTV footage in making appeals for identification, comparing the use of CCTV in the intelligence arena with its introduction as evidence, both in suspect interviews and in court, including the issues around disclosure.
This module will also examine the governing legislation and procedures relating to the powers to seize and retain the product from CCTV and the levels of governance, accountability and oversight.
7 sessions run over a 18 week period
21 taught hours
200 learning hours
The total cost for this CPD module is £760 on-site delivery at LJMU for UK domiciled students. Other delivery options are available – costs on enquiry.
Learning is on a part-time basis and through delivery on-site (at LJMU), off-site or through a blended delivery process incorporating some distance learning. Delivery will be supported by LJMU’s Virtual Learning Environment, Canvas. While the intake month is flexible, with the module being able to commence in semester 1, semester 2 or the summer period, the duration of study will usually last 18 weeks. Guest lecturers will be used on this programme and Masterclasses are likely to be run in parallel with each module. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend these events if calendars allow.
After completing the module you should be able to:
- Critically evaluate the ethics of utilising CCTV in the intelligence and investigation processes and the debate between privacy -v- safety and security
- Critically assess the various types of equipment and technology available and understand the issues around recovery and examination techniques, together with the limitations of the product
- Critically assess the benefits and complexities of the use of CCTV footage as intelligence, in comparing use in reactive and proactive investigations, introduction as evidence in the Criminal Justice process and issues around disclosure
- Critically assess the legislation and procedures relating to the use of CCTV, together with the governance, accountability and oversight that is in place
- 2000 word essay
- 10 minute presentation and poster
- First degree at 2:2 or above, international equivalent or through RPEL
- This CPD module is ONLY open to recruitment for the closed client group of officers and staff employed by law enforcement agencies who have the current level of vetting, as required by their respective employer, to be deployed in this area of investigation
This 20-credit module is studied as a single CPD programme and can contribute towards further studies at Level 7.
How we handle your data
We will use the information in this form to process and respond to your request and to comply with our legal obligations.
For further information as to how we handle your data, please see the Information Compliance Privacy Notice.
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.