Honour Based Abuse
Level 7, 20 Credits
This programme will critically examine the issues involved in honour based abuse, taking you through a structured and methodical approach in considering the varying legal status of foreign nationals within the UK and discuss issues including forced and arranged marriages, female genital mutilation and so-called honour based violence.
You will study the various forms that honour based abuse can take, the religious and cultural issues involved, the governing legislation, how these cases are considered and dealt with in the UK and what motivates offenders.
The module will also consider the agencies involved in dealing with cases of honour based abuse in the UK, evaluating their respective role and responsibilities and how these agencies work together in addressing all aspects of such cases.
7 sessions run over a 18 week period
21 taught hours
200 learning hours
The total cost for this CPD module is £760 on-site delivery at LJMU for UK domiciled students. Other delivery options are available – costs on enquiry.
Learning is on a part-time basis and through delivery on-site (at LJMU), off-site or through a blended delivery process incorporating some distance learning. Delivery will be supported by LJMU’s Virtual Learning Environment, Canvas. While the intake month is flexible, with the module being able to commence in semester 1, semester 2 or the summer period, the duration of study will usually last 18 weeks. Guest lecturers will be used on this programme and Masterclasses are likely to be run in parallel with each module. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend these events if calendars allow.
After completing the module you should be able to:
- Critically assess the varying status of foreign nationals in the United Kingdom and an understanding of their different religious and cultural needs
- Critically evaluate the various forms that Honour Based Abuse can take and what motivates offenders
- Critically assess the religious and cultural issues relating to forced and arranged marriages and female genital mutilation, understanding how these issues are dealt with in the UK
- Critically evaluate the governing legislation that relates to the various agencies involved in dealing with honour based abuse in the UK and an understanding of how those agencies work together
- 2500 word essay
- 10 minute presentation and poster
- First degree at 2:2 or above, international equivalent or through RPEL
- This CPD module is open to recruitment for police officers or staff. The content of the programme is also of relevance to individuals working in other law enforcement agencies who will deal with any aspect of Honour Based Abuse as a key element of their work processes (e.g. the NCA, UKBA or DWP)
This 20-credit module is studied as a single CPD programme and can contribute towards further studies at Level 7.
How we handle your data
We will use the information in this form to process and respond to your request and to comply with our legal obligations.
For further information as to how we handle your data, please see the Information Compliance Privacy Notice.
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.