Leading the Complexity
Level 7, 20 Credits
While much has been written on policing cultures, behaviours and impact - a significant part of the literature approaches these topics through an operational lens. This programme focuses on the strategic end of the business of policing.
This 20-credit module is an intensive and integrated approach to policing that is designed to provide strategic insight into the complex and often competing demands facing law enforcement agencies. There will be a careful balance between the theoretical constructs of leadership and concrete insight from leadership practitioners in the field. In essence, our approach to ‘what works’ will focus on bridging the gap between theory and practice. Legal and ethical approaches to law enforcement will be explored - making use of recent national and international policing issues.
7 sessions run over a 18 week period
27 taught hours
200 learning hours
The total cost for this CPD module is £760 on-site delivery at LJMU for UK domiciled students
Other delivery options available – costs on enquiry
Learning is on a part-time basis and through delivery on-site (at LJMU), off-site or through a blended delivery process incorporating some distance learning. Delivery will be supported by LJMU’s Virtual Learning Environment, Canvas. While the intake month is flexible, with the module being able to commence in semester 1, semester 2 or the summer period, the duration of study will usually last 18 weeks. Guest lecturers will be used on this programme and Masterclasses are likely to be run in parallel with each module. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend these events if calendars allow.
After completing the module you should be able to:
- Explore the strategic importance of operating effectively as a leader in a complex and constantly changing professional policing environment. This will require the exercise of initiative, personal responsibility and self-directed decision-making Critically evaluate a series of strategic approaches to change and appropriately identify the most suitable methodologies for law enforcement that are capable of producing robust valued outcomes
- Make informed judgements about unpredictable strategic policing issues that demonstrate insight to, and understanding of, alternative points of view
- Explore the future context of law enforcement at national and international levels demonstrating an ability to synthesise and incorporate new thinking from both the public and private sectors
- Further develop a critical self-awareness of approach to personal leadership performance
- 2500 word essay based on one of seven titles detailed within the module
- 2000 word Reflective Portfolio based on the theory of this module and linked to your approach and leadership style in the workplace
- First degree at 2:2 or above, international equivalent or through RPEL
- Open to recruitment for Police Officer, Police Staff or other law enforcement agencies
This 20-credit module is studied as a single CPD programme and can contribute towards further studies at Level 7.
How we handle your data
We will use the information in this form to process and respond to your request and to comply with our legal obligations.
For further information as to how we handle your data, please see the Information Compliance Privacy Notice.
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.