Welcome to the first steps of your exciting journey
Make sure you've read our 'Step by step guide' before you apply.
Choose the application process that suits your requirements and then see the section below for further details:
- Apply for an undergraduate course
- Apply for a postgraduate taught course or a research opportunity
- Apply via an agent
We receive more than 20,000 applications each year so to make sure you get a place, follow the guidance notes carefully and submit your application as early as possible.
Apply for an undergraduate course
You’ll need to apply online via UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) for all full time undergraduate programmes. (please note: for part-time and CPD courses you’ll apply directly to LJMU.
Please note: the institution code for Liverpool John Moores University is L51, individual UCAS course codes can be found on our course fact files.
What happens next?
- Your application will be sent to all your university choices for consideration
- LJMU aim to assess your form on its merits as quickly and efficiently as possible. For some programmes decisions are based entirely on your application form, while others will require you to undertake an interview, audition, short assessment test or present a portfolio of work. Details of additional methods of assessment are outlined in our entry criteria - please see the relevant course fact file.
- Check UCAS Track regularly for updates, and pay close attention to the advice and requests for more information you will receive directly from the University via email
The offer process
- Unconditional offer: will be made if you satisfy the entrance criteria at the point of application e.g. you are a mature student or already have all your qualifications
- Conditional offer: will be made if you have not sat for your examinations at the point of application, or are awaiting results; the offer will be based on securing specific grades or other criteria
- A changed course offer: will be made if we have considered your application and think an alternative programme would be more suitable, we will contact you with an unconditional or conditional offer for a different course. You do not have to accept this offer
- A rejection: will be made if we have read through your application and are unable to make you an offer, we will unfortunately have to reject your application
Making your firm and insurance choices
Once you have received decisions back from all your UCAS university choices, you will be asked to select two universities to make your firm (first) choice and insurance (second) choice. You must decline all other universities who have made you an offer as applicants are permitted to have just two choices at this stage.
If you have applied for the maximum of five courses via UCAS, but have been unsuccessful in gaining a place or declined all offers, you will be eligible for UCAS Extra.
UCAS Extra dates
(All applications submitted after this date will be referred to clearing.)
Receiving your results
If you meet the conditions of your firm choice (CF) you will automatically be accepted onto the course. If you do not meet the conditions of your offer, you may still be offered a place on your original choice or be offered an alternative programme - which you are free to accept or decline. If we reject your application upon receipt of your examination results you will be referred to your insurance choice (IF).
Clearing and adjustment
Clearing: if you do not fulfill the entry criteria for your conditional or unconditional choices, you can then enter the clearing process. During clearing it is up to the student to contact universities and enquire about course vacancies.
Adjustment: if you have not only met but exceeded your conditional firm (CF) choice you now have the opportunity to use the UCAS Adjustment process. Adjustment allows you to potentially reconsider where and what you would like to study.
Find out more about applying for a Clearing or Adjustment place at LJMU, and call our Clearing vacancy hotline from outside the UK on +44 151 906 1040.
Apply for a postgraduate taught course or a research opportunity
You can apply for postgraduate, undergraduate part time, research and CPD courses using the online application form from the link below.
Before you apply online
You will need to create an account with an email address and a password. Your account will then allow your application to be saved, edited and modified before submission and enable multiple applications to be made.
- Make sure you have copies of all supporting documents such as certificates or transcripts- these should be attached to the online form
- All International Students will need to enter their Passport details or International Agent Number
- You will be asked to give details of your qualifications and work experience plus the contact details for two referees
- A pre-written Personal Statement or Research Proposal can be copied and pasted into your application at the end of the online form
At every stage of the LJMU application form there are guidance notes to help you. Please follow these instructions and complete the online form carefully.
What happens next?
- You will receive a confirmation email to let you know we have received your submission
- Within two working days expect another email which will include the contact details of the relevant faculty and your unique application reference number (use this reference number in any communications with the faculty you might have)
If you are applying for a Taught Masters, Masters by research, or PhD course course, you may require an ATAS certification.
Need further help with your application?
If you need some help in applying or would like some advice you can contact your local British Council office. They will be able to advise you on study options at LJMU and help you to complete your application.
Apply through an agent
LJMU works closely with a number of approved agents across the world. These agents are able to provide you with further information about LJMU and about the city of Liverpool. They can offer you help and advice and guide you, step by step, through the application process.
Please contact LJMU International Officer Maureen Evans to find out more about agents we work with operating within your country.
See also: International Foundation programmes
If you have any queries about applying to study at LJMU as an international student, please find the relevant person to contact from the meet the international team section.