Guide to studying in the UK
Imagine your new life in the UK, in the exciting city of Liverpool, pursuing your passions and meeting new people at Liverpool John Moores University. See yourself a few years from now achieving your dreams and gaining a fulfilling career. It’s all within your grasp. And it all starts with these steps…
1. Find a course
Search our list of courses to find the one that you are interested in. Read the fact file to find out all you can about the course.
2. Check the entry requirements
The fact file should tell you what qualifications are needed for the programme of study. If you are not sure, contact the relevant faculty. If you don’t meet the requirements, don’t worry. You can take part in our foundation programme and fast track your way into the University.
3. Make sure you have the funds in place
You must be able to fund both the course and your living expenses while studying in the UK. You will be asked to prove that you can afford this to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) when applying for your visa/entry clearance.
Find out more about tuition fees and living costs.
When you apply to a degree programme at LJMU, we will need to see the following:
- All academic transcripts
- Copies of degree/diploma certificates or work reference (if employed)
- One academic reference
- An English Language test score (IELTS)
- Your personal statement
- Copy of your valid passport (with a minimum of 6 months left before expiration)
Please note: a conditional offer can be made, providing you can present these documents to the University. An unconditional offer will not be made until the University has seen all of the above documentation.
For further information see the Government's Student Visa information.
Depending on your course type there are different ways to apply:
See our section on how to apply for further information.
5. Accept the offer to study
Once you receive confirmation of an offer to study at LJMU, known as Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), you’ll need to formally accept the offer.
- If you are applying as an undergraduate and applied via UCAS: select LJMU as your first (Firm) choice university. Simply log on to UCAS Track and confirm that you accept your offer of a place
- If you are a postgraduate applicant that applied directly to LJMU to study a taught or research programme: contact the International Admissions Team to accept your offer
- If you applied via an agent: contact the International Admissions Team to accept your offer
6. Apply for your visa
Once you have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from LJMU you can apply for your visa.
7. Start planning your new life
Exciting times are ahead. Remember we are here if you need help.
email@example.com | +44 151 904 6499
If you have accepted a place at LJMU and have activated your student account, you will be able to log in to see an essential checklist that is relevant for you.
The support we receive from academic staff is absolutely amazing. The quality of our lectures and of the facilities is really good and we do a lot of projects and tasks in small groups, which helps me to overcome the language barrier more easily