Facilities for Disabled Users
Kurzweil and Firefly
What is it?
Kurzweil 3000 is an assistive technology which provides a reading, writing and study platform aimed at people with learning disabilities or other disabilities that make reading or writing difficult. Kurzweil 3000 is used to support those with Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, English Language Learners in school, higher education, at home and in the workplace. Kurzweil 3000 can read aloud web-based, digital or scanned print material, convert web-based, digital or scanned print materials into mp3 to provide audible files to listen to on the go or through its firefly web app can be read on an iPad.
Firefly Mobile App
Kurzweil have a mobile App called Firefly which is available for free for all LJMU students, once you have created a login, download the app from the App Store and login with those details. Currently there is only support for Apple iPads, more info available at:
How do I access Kurzweil or Firefly?
First you need to create a Kurzweil account which will allow you to login to either Kurzweil\Firefly:
- From the desktop launch the JMU AppPlayer
- Search for Kurzweil and you will see 4 options, you will need to choose KurzweiReg.
- Internet Explorer will open and take you to the Registration Page, fill in the form and click Add New:
- You will then see a yellow box which has your username and password in, similar to below. Make a note of these details as you will need them to login to both the desktop and mobile app
How to Access Kurzweil from an LJMU Managed Client
- Launch JMU AppPlayer from the desktop and search for Kurzweil
- Click the Kurzweil icon to launch.
- You will be presented with a login box, enter your newly created Username and password:
- Kurzweil should now be ready to use, if you need help there are some very detailed guides available from the Help Menu in Kurzweil under How To Videos.
Can I install Kurzweil on my own computer or laptop?
Yes you can, we are licensed to allow staff and students to use Kurzweil at home on their own computers or laptops, instructions are below:
- Uninstall any previous versions that might have been downloaded in the past
- Before you can install and use K3000, you must first download the software. You can download the latest K3000 Windows software for free from this webpage:
- You are ready to log in to and use Kurzweil 3000 Web License Edition. When you open the K3000 software on your computer it will prompt for your username and password. Use the username and password setup before. This username and password can be used to log in to the K3000 and firefly
- You can log in and access the firefly website here: www.fireflybykurzweil.com
Please find more information in the link below:
Firefly iPad App (firefly K3000)
Firefly by Kurzweil for the iPad is a mobile extension to Kurzweil that delivers anytime, anywhere access to key reading supports for those individuals with the cognitive ability, but not the literacy skills, to learn from age appropriate content. Download firefly from the Apple App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firefly-k3000/id535277727#) and login with your newly created username and password, help is available from within the App.
Inspiration Mind Mapping
We have made Inspirations’ Mind Mapping software available on a number of student PCs across LJMU and it is installed on all student loan laptops.
What is visual thinking and visual learning?
Visual thinking is a learning style where the learner better understands and retains information when ideas, words and concepts are associated with images. Research tells us that the majority of students in a regular classroom need to see information in order to learn it. Some common visual learning strategies include creating graphic organizers, diagramming, mind mapping, outlining and more.
How do I access Inspiration Mind Mapping?
- Open JMU AppPlayer from the Desktop and search for Inspiration.
- Click the icon to launch.
- The application will load and you will be presented with a splash screen:
- Choose whether to open a saved file or start creating a new mind map
Inspiration have lots of resources on their website including How To guides for getting started with mind mapping and also how to incorporate mind mapping into lessons and other excellent resources. To access the Help Centre visit:
What if I can't find Inspiration on the PC I am using?
Contact the library counter staff who can advise which PCs it is available on and they can also arrange to have it installed on a particular PC for you. Visit their webpage for more info:
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I reset my Kurzweil user account password?
Go to https://www.fireflybykurzweil.com/KLogin.php and click Forgot Password, enter your email address and your password will be sent to the registered email address.
Mobile and Tablet Device Compatibility?
Listed are the various devices the full Kurzweil client and the firefly app are supported or not supported on:
Full Kurzweil Client student PC Install Locations?
We have not installed Kurzweil on all student PCs, so please ask in your local LJMU library which computers have the software on (N.B. ALL the loan laptops in the libraries have Kurzweil installed). You can also request the software to be installed on any student PC by contacting the library support staff who will liaise with IT Services: