Students at the Heart Conference 2024
The Students at the Heart Conference will be held on Wednesday 12 and Thursday 13 June 2024 and take place on campus in the Redmonds and Student Life buildings.
The Conference is a space for our staff and students from LJMU and our partners to come together to connect, share ideas, learn from each other and celebrate or many successes. The conference is a place where we exchange information, hear about different perspectives and practices and connect with people from across the University and beyond. To foster the sense of belonging and celebrate LJMU.
This year's theme is Community, and we invite you to consider what makes our community thrive, exploring the elements that bind us together and empower us to create positive change both for ourselves and our wider community. We welcome submissions from staff across all departments, professional services, academic, technical and research.
The call for submissions is now open. Please see 'Submissions' heading for further information.
The conference is being organised by Organisational Development, Teaching and Learning Academy and other key cross-university areas.
All LJMU staff, students and staff from LJMU’s partner institutions are welcome to attend the conference.
If you have any further queries please contact the Conference Team.
The call for submission is now live and we invite you to submit a proposal for the 2024 Students at the Heart Conference.
Deadline for submissions extended to 9am on Friday 23 February 2024.
You can submit your submission via the JISC Online Survey. Before you submit please read through the below requirements.
The year's theme is ‘Community’ which is central to the University’s strategic vision. We invite you to consider what makes our community thrive, exploring the elements that bind us together and empower us to create positive change both for ourselves and our wider community. We welcome submissions from professional services staff, academics, our research communities or colleagues in technical and support roles.
Session overview requirements
Successful submissions will be judged on a combination of the following:
- The focus is accessible and will be of interest to a general audience.
- The topic can encourage the adoption of good practice in other areas of the institution.
- Approaches that support the inclusion and achievement of underrepresented groups.
- The application of student and staff voices to enhance the university experience.
- Interesting and effective use of technology to engage both students and staff on and off campus.
- The insightfulness of ideas and the broad argument.
- Research based submissions should include relevant details of the research process and a broad outline of the results (if these are available at the time of submission).
Proposals should link to the conference theme and also address one or more of the aims underpinning LJMU’s strategy:
- Education and Student Experience: transforming lives and futures. Examples of delivering outstanding teaching and learning, enhancing graduate employment prospects, diversifying, responsive support, providing an excellent student experience beyond the curriculum and supporting communities.
- Research and Knowledge Exchange: curiosity, creativity and impact. Examples of teaching inspired by research, evidence-based service development, knowledge exchange, and student-led research.
- Place and Partnership: building skills, economy, community. Examples of support for the regional skills base, driving local economic growth with business and industry, building on collaboration and growing international students and partners.
When writing your submission please include the following information:
- Content of the session.
- ‘Take away messages’ for those delegates in attendance.
- Demonstrate how it relates to one or more of the values underpinning LJMU's strategy and the conference theme.
- Transferability of your experience/practice to other services/disciplines across LJMU.
Your session overview will be made available to delegates to help them identify sessions of interest.
Registration will open in May 2024 for all LJMU staff, students and LJMU’s partner institutions.
Students at the Heart Conference is being organised by Organisational Development Foundation, Teaching and Learning Academy and other key cross-university areas.
The Conference is open to all LJMU staff, students and LJMU’s partner institutions.
Programme and session overviews
Information will be provided in May 2024.
The conference will take place on campus.
The Students at the Heart conference will start each day with the keynotes being held at the Redmond's Building:
Liverpool John Moores University
The remainder of the conference will be held at the Student Life Building:
Student Life Building
Please visit How to get to and around LJMU for further location details for both these buildings.
Details coming soon!