Change of circumstances

You’ll need to let Liverpool John Moores University know of any changes to your circumstances that arise since the start of your loan period. Please contact Registry Services as soon as possible as it may affect your entitlement to federal aid.

What is considered a change of circumstance?

Changes of circumstance may include:

  • taking a temporary leave of absence
  • transferring to different degree programme
  • altering your study mode, for example, switching from full-time to part-time, extending, etc
  • withdrawing from your programme permanently
  • a change to your personal details, such as your permanent address or name, etc

You will be required to inform key contacts at University such as your tutor, your School or the Registry Services of your changes. You can also make changes to some of your personal details via the Student Records System.

How will a leave of absence affect my federal aid?

If you are considering taking a leave of absence, you should follow University procedures by discussing the matter with your tutor/School first. If your temporary leave of absence is authorised then your student record will be updated and any remaining loan disbursements will be suspended or cancelled as appropriate.

Please contact Registry Services to advise that your leave of absence has been authorised.

For more information, see the University's Leave of Absence Policy.

What should I do if I need to withdraw from my programme?

You'll need to contact your School, the Registry Services and Student Advice and Wellbeing. Information on the withdrawal policy and procedure can be found in the Student Handbook.

Return of the Title IV Direct Loan funds

It is a legal requirement that if you are receiving federal aid and withdraw from the University, a Return of Title IV calculation is carried out to determine your entitlement to federal aid based on the period of your attendance. Unless you have completed at least 60% of your programme, LJMU is required to repay funds to the U.S. Department of Education. As a result, you may be requested to make an additional tuition/accommodation payment to the University to replace these funds.

Please note that the withdrawal date is also the date that you become responsible for repaying your loan(s). Only Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans qualify for a six month grace period.

View the Return of Title IV Direct Loans Funds Policy.