In-school deferment

In-school deferment allows you to temporarily suspend payments on any previous loans (Stafford, PLUS or Consolidation) while you are studying. It will also ensure that you are not charged interest on your current Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan.

Am I eligible for in-school deferment?

Eligibility requires that you must be enrolled at LJMU at least part-time. For students in writing up status, also known as 'Continuation Status' or 'Thesis Awaited', you are considered part-time for enrolment reporting purposes and are therefore eligible.

How do I apply for deferment?

If you have borrowed a federal loan while studying at LJMU, we automatically submit enrolment data to the National Student Loan System (NSLDS) to verify attendance. Since this is completed electronically, there is no need to complete a paper version. Once the data has been submitted, your enrolment status is automatically communicated to your current/previous lenders. You can review your NSLDS record on the NSLDS website.

How long does deferment last?

The period of deferment will last as long as you maintain enrolment on your programme at least part-time while maintaining satisfactory academic progress.

What other types of deferment are available?

If you meet any of the following conditions you may be eligible for deferment:

  • You are studying on an approved graduate fellowship programme or an approved rehabilitation training programme for the disabled
  • You are looking for but unable to find full-time employment
  • You are experiencing economic hardship
  • You are serving in the military

Contact your loan servicer to discuss any other deferment options. Further information on deferment is available on the Federal Student Aid website.