Are you passionate about starting a conversation and changing the stigma around menopause?
We are looking for volunteers to help facilitate our series of Menopause Café’s and support our plans for future work on menopause at LJMU.
Menopause Café’s aim to provide people with a safe space to talk all things menopause in an open and respectful way, to break down taboos, and to increase awareness of the impact of menopause on those experiencing it, their family, friends and colleagues. The sessions are informal group-directed, interactive discussion with no pre-set agenda; a chance for everyone to talk about menopause (or just listen) in a friendly and inclusive environment.
Volunteers do not need to be menopause experts, but should be happy to:
- listen to and discuss all aspects of menopause calmly and without embarrassment
- leave your professional role at the door, and lead a group discussion, keeping it on topic and be confident to handle any issues or problematic situations appropriately as they arise
- talk enthusiastically about menopause
- show empathy and have a friendly approachable manner
- attend a short (15 minute) initial training session
- commit to supporting at least 1 Café (2-3 hours) per year.
We intend to run 3 Café’s per year, and the volunteers’ role will be key to ensure the future success of the Café’s. Basic training will be offered and there is potential to become a workplace Menopause Champion in the future. Anyone who meets the above criteria is welcome to volunteer irrespective of age, gender or experience.
If you are interested in becoming an initial Menopause Café volunteer or would like to know more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.