Liverpool is a great place to live and a great place to study. Welcome home.
Why should you choose Liverpool John Moores University? Discovering new talents and making friends is a great start - but don’t just take our word for it, let our students show you the reasons why you’ll love it here…
See? Liverpool is where you want to be. Come and live in ‘one of the coolest places in the UK’ and find out why this European Capital of Culture is one of ‘the top ten cities to visit in the world’ by travel guide gurus Rough Guides.
Reasons to choose LJMU
- We make our home in what The Times of London described as ‘the coolest place to live in the UK’ and we can’t wait to welcome you to Liverpool
- You will be surrounded by diversity in Liverpool. The city is home to Europe’s oldest Chinatown, for example, and its Pakistani, Indian, Bangladeshi, Somalian and Nigerian communities are just a few of the other nationalities that are well established in Liverpool – as the many places of religious worship across the city reflect
- Throughout your application we will take great care to make sure you have all the information and support you need to plan for your studies at LJMU. This includes advice on immigration procedures, travel, accommodation or any other information you might need
- Purple flag accreditation means Liverpool is a safe place to enjoy socialising at night
- Liverpool has more galleries and museums, including Tate Liverpool and the Museum of Liverpool Life, than any other city outside London and boasts outstanding architecture around virtually every corner
- Liverpool’s world-famous waterfront is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, like the Great Wall of China and the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt
In your Liverpool home
Food and drink
You are what you eat and Liverpool has it all. From specialist shops selling halal and kosher foods, to the oldest Chinatown in Europe, with stops available for Greek, Japanese, Russian and everything in between, a journey around the city is a mouth-watering trip. There are cool cafés, well-stocked supermarkets, reasonably-priced restaurants and excellent eateries to suit every taste and budget. The city also has a huge choice of pubs, nightclubs, alcohol-free bars and coffee shops where you can enjoy great conversation, music and much, much more.
Liverpool artists have enjoyed over 50 UK number one singles! As the ‘world capital of pop’, it will come as no surprise that a great music scene always exists in the city. What are you into? Our annual festivals include Liverpool Psych Fest, Africa Oyé, Sound City, Brazilica and Europe’s largest free music festival, Liverpool International Music Festival. You can listen to live music in a host of venues and pop-up spaces in town, too, from subterranean clubs to the world-class Echo Arena.
We are all shopping on a budget, but no matter if yours is large or small, you’ll find what you are looking for in Liverpool. From the high street stores and designer outlets in Liverpool One and Met Quarter, to the independent boutiques on Bold Street and the Georgian Quarter, Liverpool is the place to go shopping. Cool and quirky vintage stores are the hidden gems of the city’s student areas, too.
Art and culture
The city celebrates the diversity of its artistic community each and every year with Liverpool Arabic Arts Fest, Liverpool Irish Festival and Brouhaha (our very own carnival!) just three examples you can Google right now to get a taste of our flavour. Liverpool’s creative past, present and future is equally as diverse and celebrated, with the world-renowned collections of the Walker Art Gallery and Tate Liverpool, to the prescient works on display at the likes Open Eye Gallery, FACT, Bluecoat and Biennial.
Scousers - that’s what we call ourselves - love our parks and green spaces and you will too once you start to explore the likes of Sefton Park (home of Africa Oyé) and Crosby Beach (Google Anthony Gormley’s ‘Another Place’). The city also has many other beautiful parks and is just a short drive away from the seaside resorts of Southport and Formby – not to mention the world class beauty spots of Snowdonia and the Lake District.
Chavasse Park - Liverpool City Centre
Anthony Gormley's Another Place - Crosby Beach