Information for new and returning students September 2023

Please check our frequently asked questions below as they should provide you with the information you need at this time. We will continue to update these as more information is available and will communicate with offer-holders directly with any important updates.

Should you have further questions, you can find contact information for the person responsible for your region.

Faq Items

How do I complete enrolment and registration as an international student?

If you are a new international student and joining LJMU in September 2023 you will need to complete enrolment and registration.

In addition, International students are required to submit additional documentation by email.

Key deadlines and information for international students

The deposit payment deadline for September 2023 International applicants are:

Postgraduate: 21 June 2023

Undergraduate: 31 August 2023

If you have not yet paid your deposit to secure your place with LJMU, please see our video guide on making the payment via Flywire. Please be aware that LJMU encourages all applicants to pay their tuition fee and deposit payments using Flywire, as a secure and trusted method of sending international payments.

You will need this CAS letter to then apply for your Visa. We recommend you do this as soon as possible to avoid any delays with your arrival. International students can now apply for the Visa up to 6 months ahead of the start of their student programme, and the process can be refunded should you decide not to study here following the application. Please find further information on our Visa and Immigration page.

Please note: Some countries will require a TB test to apply for the Visa. Find further details on this UK Government page.

Some countries will require a TB test to apply for the Visa. Find further details on this UK Government page.

When booking your TB test, please use the following address:

Student Life Building

Copperas Hill


L3 5AJ

You should then consider your arrival dates into the UK. Please check your offer letter to confirm your course start date.

We recommend you consider arriving earlier than the programme start date to find suitable accommodation, settle into the UK, and attend one of the mandatory induction sessions.

Next steps to prepare for your arrival into Liverpool and at LJMU

Before the start of the academic year, all students will need to complete an online registration and enrolment process, submitting the required documentation dependent on your individual circumstances. This will include supplying proof of your identity e.g. Passport, Driving License as well as a passport style photograph, which will be displayed on your Student ID card. If you do not complete the steps of this registration, we will not be able to enrol you onto your programme of study at the University for 2023/4. Find further information on the steps to complete on our Before You Arrive page.

You must have completed all of these steps before your enrolment is finalised and for your Student ID card to be issued to you. Please find further details about your student card on our International Enrolment page.

International document requirements

As well as completing the registration steps above, you must also submit additional documentation to in order for your enrolment to be completed.

Booking an airport pick up

Please note, LJMU are only able to arrange a collection service for students travelling into the UK via Manchester International Airport (MAN) or Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LPL). To book this service you will need to give our support team four days’ notice in order to guarantee a transfer.

Please be aware that we only offer this taxi service for drop off to the following postcode areas within Liverpool: L1 - L8, L13 - L15, L17 - L19.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide our airport pick up service to those who will be studying at LJMU as a partnership exchange or study abroad student (for example, if you are completing a semester abroad in partnership with LJMU). If you are an exchange or study abroad student, please visit the dedicated arrival and orientation page for further details and answers to the frequently asked questions. 

Airport transfer booking available Summer 2023

We would like to remind you that Lufthansa are now operating four weekly nonstop flights between Liverpool John Lennon Airport and their main hub in Frankfurt. This route now easily connects passengers to Liverpool from over 150 destinations in Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa and the Americas via Frankfurt. As such, we advise you to consider these new routes when planning for your arrival into Liverpool.

Travelling to LJMU from London

There are many travel firms who are able to arrange transfers from London for students. Whilst the University has no affiliation with any particular organisation, Executive Travel, based in Liverpool are happy to arrange collections from Gatwick and Heathrow Airport to transport students to their accommodation in Liverpool.

If students wish to share transportation with other students arriving at the same time, we recommend using our LJMU CampusConnect app to chat to others about their plans. This way you can decide together before booking. Details of how to access this platform can be found in your offer letter from the University.

Transportation would need to be booked directly with Executive Travel on +44 (0)151 495 2552 who are open for calls between the hours of 9am and 5pm UK time. A minimum of four days’ notice is required in advance of your arrival into London. Please have your flight number and arrival terminal to hand when booking. Payment will be taken at the time of booking on the telephone by credit card.

Alternatively, websites such as and can be used to book a single journey and pay online.

Please note: the University is not recommending any particular service, but providing you with this information to help you make plans accordingly.

Support for international students at LJMU

International Student Advice offer a range of services to help students settle and throughout their time at LJMU.

Our international student ambassador, Alejandra has worked to develop a guide for international students, providing the top tips for your first 10 days in Liverpool. The guide includes information on where you can find supermarkets and shops for clothing, home appliances and bedding, as well as guidance on public transportation in Liverpool, on getting a UK mobile phone SIM, on finding international student support available at LJMU and more.

This Tips for International Students Guide is all about helping you to settle into the UK on your arrival, and to have access to all the resources you may need.

If you would like to build a support network before you arrive in the UK and get to know some of your fellow classmates or staff, please refer back to your offer letter and register for your LJMU Campus Connect app to start communicating with them before your journey begins.

You can also chat with a member of staff or a current student ambassador before you arrive to learn more about life on campus and in the UK. This can help you prepare for your journey and feel more settled when you arrive. Find more on how to Meet The Team.

Next steps after receiving an offer letter from LJMU

Once you have received an offer to study at LJMU, you will need to formally accept the offer by clicking the green accept button in your offer letter. Find further details on our how to accept your offer page.

In your offer letter, there will be information on how to register and download LJMU Campus Connect. This app will help you to build a support network with other students before you arrive to the UK. This can help to give you the guidance and reassurance you may need to put your mind at ease when considering accepting your offer to study with us. You can also chat with a member of staff or a current student ambassador before you arrive to learn more about life on campus and in the UK. Register for Campus Connect today to start preparing for your journey with LJMU.

Come and get to know us. Our International Recruitment team will be available in online drop-in sessions throughout the month to ask any questions you may have about life and study in Liverpool. Simply go to LJMU On Demand and choose 'other events and talks' to see the list of available sessions. We look forward to chatting with you soon! Find more details on events by visiting the events in your country page.

Where can I collect my BRP card once in Liverpool?

You will need to collect your BRP from the post office you added to your visa application. Most LJMU students will collect their BRPs from Central Village Post Office, St John's Shopping Centre, 39 Dawson Way, Liverpool L1 1LJ.

Paying my deposit

As an international student, unless you are exempt (exemptions can be found on the link below) you will need to pay a tuition fee deposit to secure your place at the University and to ensure the release of your Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). The deposit amount for students starting at LJMU in September 2023 is £4,000.

The deposit payment deadline for September 2023 International applicants are:

Postgraduate: 21 June 2023

Undergraduate: 31 August 2023

You must pay your deposit before the above deadlines to allow enough time for the necessary Visa processes and to authorise any applicable LJMU scholarship awards in time for September 2023 enrolment.

Once you have paid your deposit, your place with LJMU will be secured and your Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter will be issued (you will need this to apply for the Visa).

Please find further information and guidance at our Tuition Fee Deposit page.

Booking my accommodation

All new students starting in September 2023 are guaranteed student accommodation right in the heart of the dynamic city centre of Liverpool, with easy access to the University campuses.

To hear more about the benefits of LJMU student accommodation, click to watch our ‘International Student Advice on Student Accommodation’ video below and see what our current international students have to say about their choices of accommodation whilst studying here, and their pro tips for booking the rooms.

Accommodation booking requests are now open

Read our 2022/23 Accommodation Guide for pricing, contract, and location advice. You will also find a map and useful booking instructions inside.

Please find further information, guidance and contact information at our dedicated Accommodation page.

Vaccinations for travelling to the UK

When you travel to England, regardless of whether you are fully vaccinated or not, you:

  • do not need to complete a passenger location form before you travel
  • do not need to take any COVID-19 tests before you travel or after you arrive
  • do not need to quarantine on arrival

Other countries may have rules about what you need to do to leave the country to travel to England. You should check travel advice for the country you are travelling from.

Your travel provider, or the transport hub you travel through, may further have COVID-19 related rules in place e.g. that you may be required to wear a face covering. You should follow any COVID-19 rules and guidance accordingly.

Find the most up to date information on the UK Government website

Find further up to date information from our LJMU extended FAQs regarding international students and vaccine recognition in the UK.

My first COVID-19 vaccination dose is not a vaccine offered in England. What should I do?

If a person has received a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine overseas that is also available in the UK, they should receive the same vaccine for their second dose. If the vaccine they received for their first dose is not available in the UK, the most similar alternative should be offered as per the advice on vaccine interchangeability guidance. Please contact a local GP to ensure you receive an appropriate vaccine for your second dose.

Free access to COVID-19 vaccinations

As an international student living in the UK, you will not be charged or restricted in being vaccinated against COVID-19. As part of the Healthcare Surcharge you paid to get your visa to the UK, all international students will be able to get vaccinated for free.

You do not necessarily require an NHS number or GP registration to receive the vaccination and should not be denied vaccination on this basis. You will still be entitled to receive free COVID-19 vaccinations.

You can access walk-in vaccination sites or request to book a COVID-19 vaccination appointment as an unregistered patient through any local GP practice.

It is still important to register with a GP as soon as you can, once physically in Liverpool. Once you are here, you can find a GP in your local neighbourhood by visiting the NHS website (to find your nearest GP, you will need to know the postcode of your accommodation).

If you have any queries about how to register, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

How can I access the information presented during the pre-departure session?

All the information presented during the pre-departure sessions for students joining LJMU in September 2023 can be found in the predeparture briefing document.

Settling into university life

Student support services

Our International Student Advisers are dedicated to helping you settle into life in Liverpool and the University. They are experienced in dealing with the kinds of issues that international students may face when moving to a new country, such as visa renewal, accommodation, financial issues and the challenges that can arise when you are settling into a new home.

To contact an adviser:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162


Academic English and Writing Development

The university has specialist English for Academic Purposes tutors who provide regular classes, appointments and drop-in sessions throughout the year. Here, you can develop your academic writing, improve your language accuracy and have tutors review and give suggestions on ways to advance your university assignments. For more information, see the Academic Achievement microsite or email

Liverpool and Merseyside support services

Merseyside Police have produced the following guide to give practical advice and essential information for visitors to Liverpool and Merseyside including international students.

We hope this guide will help you in finding support services in the city that you might need whilst you are here.

Library services

As well as providing a wide range of study spaces and resources, the library offers expert help in developing the skills required to do well in your academic studies. At all of the university libraries, staff are on hand to offer advice and training on literature searching, research and referencing, and use of IT. The library also provides seminars and one-to-one guidance on a range of academic skills, including study skills, maths and statistics, and English for academic purposes.

Find out more about the support available in the libraries or contact Library Services.

To see the seminar timetables and to make an appointment with a skills tutor, email

Counselling services

LJMU’s free counselling service is open to all students and is designed to help you through any personal difficulties you may be experiencing and also manage the demands and pressures of academic life.

The counselling service is open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday throughout the year and offers both group workshops as well as individual counselling sessions.

The University’s counselling service subscribes to the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) Codes and LJMU is an Organisational Member of the BACP.

LJMU’s counselling service is based in the Aquinas Building, adjacent to the Aldham Robarts Library.

To contact the counselling team:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3110


Support for students with disabilities

For further details on the range of support available to international students with disabilities, please contact the Disability Team:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3164/3165


If you become ill or have a temporary disability while studying in the UK, emergency funding may be available in certain circumstances. Contact the Disability Team for details.

Spiritual support

The University has facilities for quiet meditation, prayer and contemplation in each of its three campuses: City, Mount Pleasant and IM Marsh. The quiet spaces in Mount Pleasant, the Henry Cotton Building and IM Marsh are designed to be multi-faith. Henry Cotton also offers an additional room for Muslim prayers.

More information on spirituality or email:

LJMU’s Spiritual Support Team offers confidential, non-judgmental pastoral care and support to students and staff of all beliefs and backgrounds.

For more information, please contact the Student Advice Team: Call: +44 (0)151 231 3109 Email:

Financial matters

Tuition fees

Remember, your annual tuition fees are payable in full on enrolment or you can choose to pay 50% upon enrolment, with the balance paid in full, four months later. The University accepts debit and credit card payments using Maestro, Visa or MasterCard. You can pay online.

Please note that the University does not accept payments by cash or cheque (including bankers drafts).

If you have any questions about your tuition fees or need any advice about paying your tuition fees, living costs or working out a budget, please contact the Student Advice Team:

Arrangements for sponsored students

If you are receiving sponsorship for your studies, you must have written confirmation of this, on official headed paper. If your fees are being paid for by family members this is not classified as sponsorship, you will still be classified as self-funding in this instance.

Please note:

  • If your fees are being paid by a sponsor (for example an employer or embassy) you must provide clear evidence of this in writing at the beginning of your programme and at the beginning of each subsequent year. Please note that any sponsor must normally have a UK address and postcode. If applicable the letter should state the maximum amount that sponsorship covers in British Pounds (GBP£)
  • A financial guarantee is not a sponsorship letter
  • You will be expected to pay your tuition fees in full if your sponsor fails to make a payment


Money transfers

There are a number of methods you can use to transfer money:

  • Traveller’s cheques: A safe and easy way of bringing money because unlike cash, you can replace traveller’s cheques if they get lost or stolen. They can also be paid directly into a UK bank account
  • Banker’s drafts/cashier’s cheque: You can buy one from your home bank and bring it with you. Only bring Sterling (UK £) drafts; they are quick to clear and free to pay into your UK bank account
  • Telegraphic bank to bank transfer: This can be the cheapest way of transferring money but you will have to wait until you have opened your UK bank account. This type of transfer can take up to four working days and there are transaction/exchange charges
  • Credit/debit card from your home country: You may be able to withdraw funds from an existing credit or debit card to pay into your UK bank account if your card is accepted in the UK. You may be charged for using your cards in the UK
  • Personal cheque from your home country bank account: This is a slow method of money transfer and you will have to wait up to 6 weeks until the cheque clears and you can withdraw the money

If you have any questions, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

What happens if you don’t pay your tuition fees?

The penalties for non-payment of tuition fees are very serious. Ultimately, you will lose your place on your course and the University will inform the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) that you are no longer a student at LJMU.

Opening a UK bank account

It is important that you open a bank account as soon as possible to ensure that your money is kept safely.

The Pound (£) is the central unit of currency in the UK. £1 (one pound) is divided into 100 pence; the coins in use are 1p, 2p, 5p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2. The notes in use are £5, £10, £20 and £50. A useful currency converter tool can be found on this website:

Usually branch opening hours are from 9.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, although bigger branches may open outside these hours. Some banks also offer customer services phone numbers outside these times as well. The main high street banks - NatWest, Barclays, Lloyds TSB, Royal Bank of Scotland, and Halifax - all have branches in Liverpool city centre.

In addition to the list of high street banks provided above, students will also be able to apply for an account with HSBC. HSBC have advised us they are happy to accept LJMU proof of student status letters. However, you will still need to visit the branch with identification and address documents once instructed to do so by HSBC.

You will need to provide documentation in order to open your account, such as:

  • Identification (ID) in the form of a passport and visa/BRP (if you are a non-EU student).
  • Verification of your UK and home address.
  • Evidence of your student status: you can get this letter by going to MyLJMU and clicking on My Services and then Letter Request. You can do this a maximum of three times. A letter will be generated instantly for you. Please check direct with your bank what documentation they will need to open your account.
  • Most banks are currently opening accounts through their online banking website/apps. Please check before travelling to a branch.
  • When you first open your bank account, they may ask you where your funds will be coming from. Your bank may also charge for accepting payments from abroad.
  • Whatever bank you choose, they will probably offer you a ‘basic bank’ account, which allows you to:
  • Pay money directly into your bank account.
  • Withdraw your money at a cash point (ATM).
  • Pay bills by standing order or direct debit.
  • You may also be issued with a cheque book, but this depends on the bank

Please note:

  • You cannot get credit or an overdraft on a basic account
  • If you change your address it is important that you inform the bank as soon as possible
  • Due to the pandemic most UK bank branches continue to operate on a limited service in order to ensure the safety of their customers and staff. Subsequently most banks cannot offer account opening services through a branch.
  • Guidance for students completing account opening formalities in branches:
  • Students should only go to a branch once advised to do so
  • Students coming from overseas must only visit a branch once any ‘quarantine/self-isolation period’ has expired and NOT before
  • Once advised to visit a branch students will probably need to book an appointment to complete the account opening process
  • Overseas students will be required to present a valid passport, Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) and a Proof of Student Status Letter from the University, available in My LJMU
  • UK banks expect all customers to wear face makes (unless exempt). Customers will only be seen individually and are advised to attend the branch on their own.

Council tax

Council tax is set by local authorities in the UK to help pay for services such as the police, fire brigade and rubbish collection. To be eligible for Council tax exemption you must be on a full-time course for a period of more than 24 weeks. Your eligibility will also depend on who you live with. Council tax exemption forms can be requested through My Services.

More details about council tax.

Islamic banking

If you would like to open a bank account in accordance with Sharia principles, please check your bank’s website for details. Some mainstream banks do offer accounts that meet these principles and there are a few specialist banks that operate in accordance with them. For more details go to the British Bankers’ Association website.

Money management

Managing money can be a challenge for all students; it’s not something that is unique to international students. For most of you this will be the first time you have managed your money and in addition to this everything is in a different currency.  It’s really important you draw up a budget that you can reasonably stick to as soon as possible. Budgeting is essential not only to ensure you are happy and living comfortably but additionally teaches you skills you can apply when you leave university and are working in your chosen career!

This is why we have teamed up with Blackbullion which has a range of money management lessons, tips and ideas to help you on this journey.  

It is available free of charge to all students and staff, just register with your Liverpool John Moores University email address.



About healthcare

Most migrants plus their accompanying dependants who come to the UK for a stay of more than six months will be required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of their visa application. The IHS is currently £300 per student and each dependant per year of leave. This entitles you to use free health services under the National Health Services, although you may be required to pay for some services such as prescriptions and dental treatment.

Please note: You can’t ‘opt out’ of paying the IHS even if you have private medical insurance.

For further information please go to the UKCISA website.

If you have any questions, about healthcare services and charges in the UK, please email:

Registering with a doctor

You are advised to register with a doctor as soon as possible after you arrive in Liverpool. Don’t wait until you are ill. By registering you can get an appointment and urgent treatment when you need it. Once you are in Liverpool, you can find a GP in your local neighbourhood by visiting the NHS website.

If you have any queries about how to register, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

Any LJMU staff and students with COVID-19 symptoms can book a test here in Liverpool. The test centre is open 9am-5pm each day, with results available via text message within 24 hours.

Health insurance

However long your course, it is recommended that you obtain additional health insurance prior to travelling to the UK. Your policy should cover medical costs plus any additional possible costs resulting from illness (such as lost fees if you are unable to complete your course, and the cost of returning to your home country for treatment). Please check that your health insurance covers any pre-existing medical conditions as you are likely not to be covered under the NHS.

Prescription charges

If your doctor prescribes you medicine you will usually have to pay a prescription charge (£9.35 from April 2021). If you are receiving ongoing treatment it may be worth your while getting a Prescription Payment Certificate, which costs £30.25 for three months and £108.10 for 12 months. The Certificate covers all prescription charges during that period.

Dental treatment

You must pay for the cost of any dental treatment you receive in the UK. The cost varies depending on whether you are registered with an NHS or a private dentist. Dental treatment can be very expensive, so you should check the cost before embarking on any course of treatment.

Immigration and visas

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) collection

If you apply for your visa overseas, you must collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from a designated post office in the UK as soon as possible after your arrival in Liverpool.

Your temporary visa, known as a Biometric Immigration Document (or BID), will be valid for up to 90 days prior to the start date for your course (or seven days before your intended date of travel, whichever is later) and you should use this to travel to the UK. You can specify the post office that your BRP will be delivered to by either completing the field for the postcode of your residential address, or that of the University (also known as your ‘sponsor address’).

Please note: LJMU will not take delivery of your BRP, this will be sent to the designated post office. As such, we ask that when you are completing the field for the postcode of the University, you use the designated post office address as follows: Central Village Post Office, Lewis’s Building, 6 Renshaw Street, Liverpool L1 2SA.

If you do not travel to the UK within the 90 days specified on your temporary visa, you will have to apply for a new BID and you may need to pay for this. If you have any questions about your BRP collection, please contact the International Advice Team on

It is really important that you check your BRP and make sure that all the information on it is correct. If you notice any mistakes, contact International Advice as soon as possible:

Your BRP expiry date should give you enough time to finish your studies at LJMU. Students on both undergraduate and taught postgraduate degree programmes lasting 12 months or more are given an additional four months on their BRP after the completion date for their course. For example, if your course is due to finish in Summer 2023, you should have a BRP until September 2023.

If you don’t think you have been given the correct expiry date, please email as soon as possible. 

Applying to extend your visa

From 5 October 2020, in order to apply for the Student Route visa you must obtain points for having:

  • Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) – 50 points – your CAS is issued by LJMU.
  • Sufficient money to cover your tuition fees and living costs (or evidence of official sponsorship) - 10 points.
  • English Language Requirement – 10 points.

Apply online: You must apply to extend before your current BRP expires. All Student Route in-country extension applications and out-of-country applications must now be made online. Applications for dependants applying alongside the main applicant as well as separately should also complete the relevant online application.

Due to new academic progression rules that came into force during 2016, it is only possible for Tier 4 (General) students or Student Route students to apply to extend their visa in the UK in certain circumstances. Please contact the International Student Advice Team ( for further information.

Your application date is the day you submit and pay for your application. You must apply before your current BRP expires, although you are given further time in which to post your documents to UK Visas and Immigration or attend your appointment if you are going in person.

Due to the Covid-19 crisis, students applying for their visas in the UK will not be required to make an in person appointment once they submit their application. UKVCAS have changed the way they process visa applications by reusing biometrics for many applicants and will be directing students to use a new IDV app. You should still register with UKVCAS and create a UKVCAS account, you will be directed to do this when you complete your on-line application. You will receive an email from UKVCAS advising you on what to do next. Please do not to download the app or try to make an appointment until you receive an email from UKVCAS inviting you to do so. If you have any questions please contact our International Advice Team on

New Immigration System

The UK Government is introducing a new Points based immigration system. The Tier 4 student route will be replaced by the new student route.

For EEA nationals this will take effect from 1 January 2021. For all other nationals this will apply to any visa applications made from 9am on 5 October 2020.

For a summary of the most important changes, please see the details of the new student immigration route.

If you have any questions about this please contact

Points-based system: workshops

We advise all students to enrol on a student visa workshop before submitting their applications to ensure that they are correct. It is really important to do this as you could face having your visa application refused if you do not submit the correct documents. You will receive emails about these workshops and how to book onto a place.

If you require an ATAS (QCF Level 7 or above), you should apply as soon as possible. For further information visit the GOV UK website.

Information for sponsored students

If you are being sponsored, you must provide a letter from your official financial sponsor to show details of your sponsorship. If you have dependents with you, the letter must also mention this.

To check what qualifies as an official financial sponsor, read the relevant section of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance.

If you are only being partially sponsored, for example, to cover your tuition fees, you must be able to prove that you have sufficient funds to meet UKVI funding requirements for a Tier 4 application.

Financial requirements

If you are a self-sponsored (or partially sponsored) student, you will need to be able to demonstrate you have enough money in your (or your parents) bank account in order to make a successful Tier 4 application.

Currently, maintenance fees for living costs for the main applicant are £1,015 per month, which is capped at nine months. So if you are coming to study for a course of 9 months or more, you will need to demonstrate you have £9,135 (£1,015 x 9) plus your full first year’s tuition fee. If you have paid any of your tuition fees to LJMU, and this is either written on your CAS or on an official receipt, you can deduct this from your bank account. From 1st January 2021 you will be required to demonstrate £1,023 living costs per month, which for nine months would be £9,207, in addition to your tuition fees.

The money needs to be held in your account for a minimum of 28 days. The financial evidence you use should be no more than 31 days old at the time you apply.

If you are eligible to bring dependants with you, you must be able to show you have £680 per dependant per month for their living costs for a maximum of nine months (£6,120).

Remember, you may face severe consequences if you overstay and do not get a BRP extension in time.

For confidential advice and guidance, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

Graduate Immigration Route

New Graduate Route Visa (Post Study Work Visa)

What is the new Graduate Route Visa?

The UK government have published in their Points Based System Immigration System document a proposal to introduce a new Graduate Route Visa in 2021. The Graduate Route will allow successful applicants to stay in the UK for a period of 2 or 3 years after completing studies to work and to look for work

How do you get the Graduate Route Visa?

It is not automatically granted. To obtain the Graduate Route Visa, you will need to meet all the requirements and apply for the visa in the UK once the visa route opens.

How much will the Graduate Route Visa Cost?

What are the requirements to apply for a Graduate Route Visa?

From the information available so far, the following are the main requirements to be able to apply for the Graduate Route Visa.

  • You must have successfully completed an undergraduate, postgraduate or doctoral degree at Liverpool John Moores University (or any other Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance with the Student sponsorship requirements)
  • Your studies must have been completed in full while you were in the UK (except for periods of permitted, required study abroad or distance learning due to Covid-19)
  • Your studies must have been the same as that for which your most recent Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) was issued
  • You must have completed your studies in summer 2021 or later
  • You must apply in the UK, and have a valid Tier 4 or Student visa at the time of application

There will be no financial or maintenance requirements for the Graduate Route Visa application and satisfactory completion of your studies will be evidence of your English language ability.

How long will the Graduate Route Visa be for?

The Graduate Route Visa will be issued for 2 years for successful applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree, and 3 years for successful applicants who completed a doctoral degree (eg, PhD).

What kind of work can you do with a Graduate Route Visa?

You can do most kinds of work with a Graduate Route Visa. There is no minimum qualification or income requirement for the work. You do not require sponsorship from an employer, and you will be free to change jobs as and when necessary.

You will not be able to work as a doctor or dentist in training, nor as a professional sportsperson.

Can you bring your family as dependants with the Graduate Route Visa?

Only graduates who already have their family members with them in the UK as dependants will be able to have their dependents apply. Dependants must apply at the same time as the graduate.

Can you study with a Graduate Route Visa?

Study at a Student Route Sponsor institution will not be permitted. This would exclude studying for example, a master’s degree at most UK universities while in the UK with a Graduate Route visa.

Other study at non Student Route Sponsor institutions will be permitted.

Is there any else you need to know?

If you have been in receipt of Official Financial Sponsorship from a government, you will need to obtain a letter confirming permission from that government for you to apply to the Graduate Route

You can only have the Graduate Route visa once. It is not possible to extend the visa, but it will be possible to switch to another type of visa from the Graduate Route.

If you later wish to apply to switch to the new Skilled Worker Route visa (which will replace Tier 2 in 2021), you can do so if you have a Skilled Worker Route employer who offers sponsorship to you.

As with holders of the Student Visa, holders of the Graduate Route visa applying to switch to the Skilled Worker Route can be considered as ‘new entrants’ for Skilled Worker sponsorship, which means the minimum salary offer to be sponsored can be the lower minimum salary new entrants rate

Disclaimer Please note: The information available here is based on the current information available from the UK Government. We will update our website when full details are announced.

Working in the UK and Liverpool

Part-time work

While you are enrolled as a student at LJMU it is a condition of your visa that you must be able to support yourself financially (and your family, if relevant) without having to rely on earnings from part-time work. This means that you must have the independent financial means to pay your fees plus all your living costs for the duration of your course. However, we recognise that many students want to work while they’re studying as it is an excellent way of developing language and other professional skills. So here is some advice on what you can and can’t do while you are in the UK.

Most international students studying with us on a degree level course or above are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week. Your BRP stamp will tell you if there are any restrictions on you working in the UK. If you breach these conditions you may be fined, detained and/or removed from the UK.

More information about your right to work, finding a job, and applying for a work visa after your studies is available at the UKCISA website.

Unitemps at Liverpool John Moores University is our very own on-campus recruitment agency, providing opportunities for our students to access paid work in support of their study that will strengthen their CV, their employability skills and their organisational awareness. In line with LJMU’s role as a civic university, Unitemps will also simplify routes to accessing degree-level talent for Liverpool City Region businesses. To register, please visit Unitemps.

Students from outside the European Economic Area

If you are a student from outside the EEA then you can usually work in the UK if your course is 6 months or more, but you need to check your BRP to see if you do have permission. Except in the case of an agreed work placement or internship organised in conjunction with the University, international students must not work for more than 20 hours per week during term time; some students are only allowed to work 10 hours, such as those who are studying below degree level.

Remember, as an international student it is important that you:

  • Check your entry clearance sticker in your passport to see how many hours you are allowed to work during term-time. Except in the case of an agreed work placement or internship organised in conjunction with the University, international students must not work for more than 20 hours per week during term time; some students are only allowed to work 10 hours
  • Do not engage in business or self-employment
  • Do not apply for or fill a permanent full-time vacancy

You can find out more information about working in the UK, before and after your studies in UKCISA Guidance notes.

Students from the European Economic Area

If you are a student from the European Economic Area (EEA) you currently do not need permission to work in the UK and there are no restrictions on the number of hours you can work. The countries of the EEA are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, the UK plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Swiss Nationals are not part of the EU or EEA but Swiss nationals have had similar rights to those who are members of the EEA since 2002.

The immigration rules for EEA nationals will change on 01 January 2021.

National Minimum Wage rates

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) is a minimum amount per hour that most workers in the UK are entitled to be paid. Different rates apply depending on your age. Find out the current NMW.

National Insurance numbers

Everyone who works in the UK needs to have a National Insurance number, including international and EU students who want to work part-time during their studies. It is a unique personal reference number that is used to collect your national insurance contributions.

To get a national insurance number you must be actively looking for or started work already. You then need to call the National Insurance Number Helpline (0800 141 2075) to speak to an advisor who will take you through an application form over the telephone. The Helpline is open between 8am and 6pm. You will then receive a letter inviting you to attend an appointment in a local job centre.

You will need to bring the following documents with you to this meeting:

  • Your passport
  • Evidence of where you live (such as a tenancy agreement, or letters addressed to you)
  • Your LJMU student ID card
  • Evidence that you are working (such as an employment contract) or evidence that you are looking for work (such as letters from employers or if you have registered with employment agencies)

If you have any questions, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162