Invest in your future success
The pursuit of knowledge is a journey and, for some, an undergraduate degree is just the beginning
A postgraduate degree from Liverpool John Moores University will improve your prospects and help you achieve your professional and personal goals. For some careers a postgraduate qualification may be a requirement, in any case we offer a number of accredited courses so you can be sure your degree is relevant and highly regarded by employers.
Whatever your reasons for pursuing postgraduate study, whether you’re looking to become an expert in your field, get involved in world-changing research or land your dream job, your route to success starts with LJMU.
Not sure what type of course you should take? Not clear on the difference between taught or research courses? We explain the different options available to you.
LJMU offers a friendly environment…help is always available when you need it. Teaching staff are constantly expanding their research and really know their area.
96%96% of our postgraduate students are in work or further study within 6 months of completing their masters degree HESA Data 2016
94%94% of students in work are in professional employment HESA Data 2016
77%of our disciplines demonstrate world-leading research
96%of our research is of international quality or better
Seven reasons to choose postgraduate study
Currently 96% of our postgraduate students are in work or further study within 6 months of completing their masters degree and 94% of students in work are in professional employment. These statistics demonstrate just how invaluable a postgraduate qualification from LJMU could be to your future career success. HESA Data 2016
Postgraduate study allows you to focus on your specific interests: expand upon your subject area knowledge and immerse yourself in your passions. At LJMU you’ll be working alongside like-minded researchers who share your interests and will support you throughout your postgraduate experience. Find out about individual researchers in the research area of your interest.
Liverpool John Moores University is well-known for its research outputs and its collaborations with leading global institutions, organisations and industry. Our research informs the content of our courses. We have 12 highly-acclaimed research centres and institutes and a further 39 research groups working on a broad range of disciplines from astrophysics to social work. You’ll be involved in worthwhile and exciting study and research – working on developing new ideas and approaches to the challenges of the 21st century. At LJMU you can truly make a difference. See our research areas to get an idea of where you could be heading.
You’ll be given the best chance of gaining a rewarding career. Use our reputation for high quality teaching and research and our strong links to business to steer your career path and gain that much-needed edge over the competition.
Taking on the challenges of postgraduate learning develops your confidence and skills to “go it alone” – many LJMU postgraduates start their own successful businesses upon graduating. In fact, we're ranked in the top 25 UK universities for graduate business start-ups. Our Centre for Entrepreneurship offers a range of services and personalised support to help turn your idea into reality.
A postgraduate education increases your future earnings. After six months of graduation, LJMU postgraduate taught students received on average £7,500 more than undergraduates. Whereas LJMU postgraduate research students received on average £21,000 more than undergraduates. (Higher Education Statistics Agency data based on average yearly salaries during 2013/14).
There are excellent funding options available to support you through postgraduate study, including the new postgraduate loans, Professional Career Development Loans, bursaries and our LJMU Alumni discount. For further information see our fees and finance pages.
Ways we can help you succeed
- Cutting-edge, real-world study and research programmes that meet the needs and wants of employers
- World-class facilities; we've invested £160 million in the development of new facilities and further expansion is planned for the next few years, including the connected university village
- Flexible study options: we understand and appreciate the commitment needed to embark on a postgraduate journey, but we’ve helped many others realise their dreams and we’re here to support you too. Many of our postgraduate courses can be studied around your existing career and family or caring obligations.
- Programmes delivered by academics involved in innovative research, many of whom are engaged in exciting consultancy projects with leading businesses
- Established relationships with a wide-range of organisations including councils, NHS trusts, charities, community groups and schools, environmental groups, arts and culture organisations, tourism bodies and leisure providers – providing you with key contacts in your specialist field
- Study skills workshops: if you’ve not been in formal education for some time, we’ve made it easy to adapt quickly to university life by offering workshops on academic writing, effective reading skills, exam and revision skills, report writing, IT skills and more
- Support: whether you need help sorting out your finances, careers advice, finding accommodation, or the services of the John Moores Students’ Union – we are here to help you through your postgraduate experience
Need more information?
Why not visit us during an open day where you can:
- Find out about specific courses and research opportunities
- Tour the libraries and facilities
- Speak to staff and current students about what it’s like to study here
For more information get in touch with us using our online form.
Or call: +44 (0) 151 231 5090