Students walking

Study visas

Important information on visas required for study in the UK

There are two main immigration permission routes to study in the UK. They are the new Student route visa and the Visitor visa route for short-term study (less than six months).

Which immigration route you require depends on a number of factors, including the length of your studies. The different immigration routes have different conditions attached. It is very important that you obtain the right permission for your study in the UK.

The Student route visa came in on 5 October 2020 replacing the Tier 4 visa route. If you are coming to study a course of six months or more you will need to apply for the Student route visa. In this section, you will find the information you will need to apply for this visa.

The new Visitor route, which came into effect on 1 December 2020, is the most appropriate route for those coming to the UK to study for a course of six months or less, for example, our Study Abroad students.

The Visitor route will replace the Short-term study visa route in the majority of cases. Short-term study visas from 1 December 2020 will only be applicable to students coming to study an English language programme for a duration of 6-11 months. 

Applying for a Student route visa inside the UK

This information sheet provides advice on applying for the Student Route visa inside of the UK. You will find all the information you need if you are eligible to apply for your visa in the UK, how and where to make your application and what documents you will need to provide, along with lots of other useful information.

Information for applying for a Student route visa inside the UK

Applying for a Student route visa outside the UK

This information sheet gives advice on how to make an application to the Student Route visa outside of the UK. You will all the information you will need to apply; such as when, where and how to apply for your visa and information on what documents you will to provide to support your application, as well as lots of other useful information. 

Information for applying for a Student route visa outside the UK

Guide to completing the Student Visa application form outside of the UK

The International Advice Team have put together a step by step guide to completing the online visa application outside the UK. The guide explains how to answer every question that could appear on the online form. 

Guide to Completing the Visa application form

Information on police registration

Some international students who are here for six months or more are required to register with the police upon their arrival in the UK. Please note that this is dependent on your nationality. You will see on your temporary Biometric Information Document (BID) if you need to register, where it should state “POL REGSITRATION”. You are usually given seven days to register, however, the police are aware that due to COVID-19 some students will need to self-isolate on arrival in the UK and that some students will be arriving later in the semester. Because of this, they are being flexible and allowing students longer than seven days to register. You should complete your registration as soon as possible (ensuring that you complete any period of self-isolation first).

You will need to produce:

  • your passport
  • two passport-sized photos
  • your LJMU Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)
  • details of where you are living in Liverpool (full address)
  • the complete registration fee.

If you are unsure of how to register, please contact the International Advice Team.

To register with Merseyside Police you must make an appointment online.

Your appointment to register will be at the Overseas Visitor Registration Office located in Wavertree Police Station, L7 1RJ. You must have an appointment before attending.

Not sure if you need to register?

Check your visa ‘vignette’ (the sticker in your passport). If it has ‘Police Registration’ or ‘Register with Police in seven days of entry’ you will need to register - more information is available on the GOV UK website.

What happens after police registration?

The police will give you your ‘Police Registration Certificate’. Keep this safe and use it when you re-enter the UK or apply to renew your student visa. If you are asked to produce it, you have 48 hours to do so.

Reporting a change in circumstance after you have completed your police registration. You should report the following changes:

  • change of address
  • change of college/university/course
  • change of occupation
  • change in marital status
  • new landing conditions (re-entry visa)
  • new passport details
  • children born whilst you are in the UK
  • exemption from police registration

Every time you change your address, please inform your local police station within seven days of moving to your new accommodation so that they can update your Certificate. If you are living in Liverpool this must be done by requesting an appointment with Merseyside Police by booking an appointment online.

What happens when you complete your degree/leave the UK?

You will need to return your Registration Certificate to Merseyside Police once you have completed your studies at LJMU. You will also need to state when you will be leaving the UK. Certificates should be posted to: Wavertree Road Police Station, Wavertree Road, Liverpool, L7 1RJ.

Visitor visa guide for courses of six months or less

On 1st December 2020 the Visit Visa route replaced the Short-term student route for students coming to study in the UK for courses of 6 months or less. 

The International Advice Team has produced an Information Sheet with answers to FAQs about studying at LJMU on a Visit visa. 

Visitor visa information for short-term study