Support for transgender and non-binary students

Celebrating diversity and respect always

At LJMU we are proud of the diversity of our staff and students and recognise the value that each individual brings to the University. We want every member of our community to feel respected, safe and welcome during their time at LJMU and our commitment to ‘Respect, Always!’ is central to everything we do here at LJMU.

A dedicated point of contact

You can speak to the Inclusion Support team for information, advice and support at any stage of your studies at LJMU. The team can discuss the range of support available to you at LJMU and signpost to external services, too.

You may also choose to speak to a member of your academic team or another member of LJMU staff. Whoever you choose to speak to will respect your confidentiality throughout our dealings with you.


Transitioning while at University

We respect that transitioning is a personal decision. You don’t need to inform the University of your decision to transition while studying at LJMU but we will be happy to provide support when or if you choose to. The Inclusion Support team are your first point of contact to discuss what support you might benefit from at any point in your studies.

In addition, the Student Wellbeing team can provide more information on the range of wellbeing support which the University provides. You can speak to a Wellbeing Advisor on the ground floor of Student Life between 10am and 4pm Monday to Friday, no appointment needed.

Changing your name with the University

There are a variety of ways in which you can change your name with the University. The Inclusion Support team can advise on the practical considerations around changing your name including your LJMU ID card.

You can change both your Primary Name (Legal Name) or your Preferred Name (what you would like to be known as) via MYLJMU.

To change your Primary Name (Legal Name) you will need to complete a Deed Poll or Statutory Declaration. Please include this with your request via MYLJMU. A member of the Registry Services team will make contact with you, when necessary, to discuss supporting evidence.

You can find some useful information how to change your Legal Name on the Gendered Intelligence website.

It’s important to note that a Preferred Name change is not a Legal Name change. There will be some University systems which will still record your Legal Name.

We would encourage you to contact your Personal Tutor or Programme Leader to advise them of any name change. Alternatively, the Inclusion Support team can contact a member of your academic team on your behalf.

Legal documents, including your graduation certificate, are printed using your legal name. If you transition after you have graduated, you can request a new graduation certificate free of charge by contacting Registry Services.

Getting involved

JMSU offer a range of student-led communities and societies for you to get involved with and meet other students. You can find more information on what’s available this year on their website:

External support