Faith and contemplation
As a member of our University community you have the right to religious freedom and we work hard to ensure tolerance and equality for all.
To this end, we will provide space appropriate for the purpose of individual prayer, reflection and contemplation at key campus locations. Such prayer spaces will be as inclusive and accessible as possible. Large gatherings should utilise facilities provided by Liverpool Students' Union for clubs and societies.
LJMU is a secular university. With our diverse student population, we acknowledge the need for suitable facilities to enable students to pray and reflect during the standard academic day.
Meet the Chaplaincy team
LJMU has chaplains from multiple faiths who are there to offer you a helping hand if needed. All the chaplains are friendly, approachable and willing to talk about anything from exploring faith and spirituality to pastoral care.
Father Neil Ritchie - Catholic Chaplain
Rabbi Natan Fagelman- Jewish Chaplain
Laura Burton - Methodist Chaplain
Sheik Zane Abdo - Muslim Chaplain
Hannah Padfield - Anglican Chaplain
Multi-faith rooms and quiet spaces
The multi-faith rooms are designed to be welcoming for students and staff of all faiths and non-faiths for prayer and quiet reflection. The multi-faith spaces of LJMU can be found at the following locations across campus:
- Henry Cotton Building: first floor, 15-21 Webster Street, Liverpool, L3 2ET
- John Foster Building: ground floor (G19), 80-98 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool, L3 5UZ
Please note the following guide for room use:
- The multi-faith spaces are available to all staff, students and visitors who would like spaces for prayer or quiet contemplation
- The room is available for all faith and non-faith groups to access
- Please be sensitive to others accessing the facilities at all times; the facility is for everyone to share
- No food is to be eaten in the room and all litter should be removed or place in the bins provided
Other faith spaces near LJMU
Liverpool offers faith spaces not connected to LJMU that can be found in the surrounding area.
- Abdullah Quilliam Society - 8-10 Brougham Terrace, L6 1AE
- All Saints Parish - 4 Towerlands Street, L7 8TT
- Greek Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas - 3 Berkley Street, L8 1XB
- Hindu Cultural Organisation - 253 Edge Lane, L7 2PH
- Liverpool Cathedral - St James’ Mount, L1 7AZ
- Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral - Mount Pleasant, L3 5TQ
- Liverpool Parish Church - 5 Old Church Yard, L2 8GW
- Princes Road Synagogue - Princes Road, L8 1TG
- Saint Philip Neri - 30 Catharine Street, L8 7NL
- St Bride’s Church - Percy Street, L8 7LT
- St James in the City - Upper Parliament Street, L8 1UR
- St Margaret’s Church - Princes Road, L8 1TG
Join a faith group
There are a number of faith groups available to join at LJMU, you can find out more on the Liverpool Students' Union website.