Faith and contemplation
As a member of our University community you have the right to religious freedom and we work hard to ensure tolerance and equality for all.
To this end, we will provide space appropriate for the purpose of individual prayer, reflection and contemplation at key campus locations. Such prayer spaces will be as inclusive and accessible as possible. Large gatherings should utilise facilities provided by Liverpool Students' Union for clubs and societies.
LJMU is a secular university. With our diverse student population, we acknowledge the need for suitable facilities to enable students to pray/reflect during the standard academic day.
Meet the Chaplaincy team
LJMU has chaplains from multiple faiths who are there to offer you a helping hand if needed. All the chaplains are friendly, approachable and willing to talk about anything from exploring faith and spirituality to pastoral care.
Father Neil Ritchie - Catholic Chaplain
Neil moved from Aberdeen to Liverpool when he was 18 to study at university where he achieved his psychology degree. Neil became a Catholic during his time as a university student. He became ordained in 1992 and worked in the Liverpool and Lancashire area for 14 years. Neil moved to Belgium to complete his postgrad and taught theology for three years. He has an interest in aviation and flies light aircraft.
Rabbi Ephraim Guttentag - Jewish Chaplain
Born in Gateshead, Ephraim spent six years learning the Torah in the Lakewood East Yeshiva in Jerusalem. Ephraim completed the Ohr LaGolah Rabbinic Leadership Programme at the Ohr Somayach Yeshiva and graduated with Semicha. Ephraim loves barbecuing and fine whisky.
Zane Abdo - Muslim Adviser/Chaplain
Phone: 07879 435 368 | Email: Z.M.Abdo@ljmu.ac.uk
Zane is born and bred in Liverpool and studied at the University of Liverpool. He spent the best part of a decade studying Islam in the Middle East where he graduated as a scholar of Islam. Zane then moved to Cardiff to take up the position of Imam. Returning to Liverpool, he worked as a chaplain in prisons based in Manchester and Liverpool. Zane became the Muslim Adviser/Chaplain for LJMU and the University of Liverpool in July 2017. He is fluent in Arabic and is an avid Liverpool FC supporter.
Rev Canon Bob Lewis - Anglican Chaplain to the Staff
Bob has been ordained in the Church of England for nearly 38 years. Bob’s roles during these years include Diocesan youth officer, Vicar at St Margaret of Antioch Toxteth and Area Dean minister of Winwick. Bob is now part of the Chair of the House of Clergy at Diocesan Synod.
Multi-faith rooms/quiet spaces
The multi-faith rooms are designed to be welcoming for students and staff of all faiths and non-faiths for prayer and quiet reflection. The multi-faith spaces of LJMU can be found at the following locations across campus:
- Henry Cotton Building: first floor, 15-21 Webster Street, Liverpool, L3 2ET
- John Foster Building: ground floor (G19), 80-98 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool, L3 5UZ
- IM Marsh: in the Ian Newman Centre, Barkhill Road, Liverpool, L17 6BD
Please note the following guide for room use:
- The multi-faith spaces are available to all staff, students and visitors who would like spaces for prayer or quiet contemplation
- The room is available for all faith and non-faith groups to access
- Please be sensitive to others accessing the facilities at all times; the facility is for everyone to share
- No food is to be eaten in the room and all litter should be removed or place in the bins provided
For further information please contact Student Advice and Wellbeing on 0151 904 6372 or email: SAWadmin@ljmu.ac.uk
Other faith spaces near LJMU
Liverpool offers faith spaces not connected to LJMU but can be found in the surrounding area:
- Abdullah Quilliam Society - 8-10 Brougham Terrace, L6 1AE
- All Saints Parish - 4 Towerlands Street, L7 8TT
- Greek Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas - 3 Berkley Street, L8 1XB
- Hindu Cultural Organisation - 253 Edge Lane, L7 2PH
- Liverpool Cathedral - St James’ Mount, L1 7AZ
- Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral - Mount Pleasant, L3 5TQ
- Liverpool Parish Church - 5 Old Church Yard, L2 8GW
- Princes Road Synagogue - Princes Road, L8 1TG
- Saint Philip Neri - 30 Catharine Street, L8 7NL
- St Bride’s Church - Percy Street, L8 7LT
- St Margaret’s Church - Princes Road, L8 1TG
Join a faith group
There are a number of faith groups available to join at LJMU, find out more on the Liverpool Students' Union website.