Young adult carers

If you're a young adult carer, we can offer you a range of support.

To ensure every student has the best possible student experience, we offer a range of support services to young adult carers. We know not all students will want to use our services though and you are under no obligation to do so.

Support we offer

Everyone is different. That’s why we’ll work with you to create a personalised package of support. This package can be reviewed at any time to suit you.

Here are some ways we might be able to help:

  • Offering you support from Study Skills and a mentor
  • Meeting you at University events, such as Open Days, interview and applicant days
  • Providing you with student funding help and advice
  • Giving you accommodation advice
  • Supporting you with academic issues, including liaising with your academic department and tutors if you wish
  • Acting as a link between you, the University and external support agencies to make sure you and the person you care for receive a full assessment of your support needs
  • Offering advice about other Liverpool John Moores University services, such as LiverpoolSU and the World of Work Careers Centre
  • Being someone to talk to if you need to

Who is a young adult carer?

Young adult carers are:

• Aged between 18 and 25

• People who care for or look after a family member, friend or other individual, due to disability, chronic or terminal illness, mental health difficulty or drug/alcohol dependency or another reason

Support before you start your course

Even before you start your course, we can provide you with information about the University and help establish what support you might need during your time with us. We can arrange for you to visit the campus and meet members of staff from your chosen subject, along with other students. We can also arrange for you to tour our partner accommodation sites.

To arrange an initial chat, please get in touch with our team using the contact details at the bottom of the page.

Claiming Carers’ Allowance

Typically, full-time students are not eligible to claim Carer’s Allowance. If you are claiming Carers’ Allowance prior to starting your university course, your eligibility for this benefit will cease when you enrol at university.

It is important that you notify the Benefits Agency that you have started full-time study to make sure you do not accrue subsequent overpayment.

Our dedicated member of staff for young adult carers can advise you about other sources of funding, including bursaries and scholarships.

Contact us

If you have any questions or would like to have an initial chat about the support we could offer, please get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.


Call: 0151 231 3149

Privacy Statement

LJMU takes your privacy very seriously. This privacy notice explains how we use your personal information and your rights regarding that information. We will always use your data as set out in the principles of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and all current Data Protection Legislation. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use your data and to meeting our data protection obligations.

Read the Data Privacy and Confidentiality Statement.