LJMU Climate Action
LJMU is at the forefront of initiatives to tackle climate change.
We know that the climate crisis is the biggest emergency we face as a planet and that is why LJMU is committed to playing a leading role in finding sustainable solutions.
We believe in leading by example and we work closely with our partners to make a positive difference at a local, national and global level.
LJMU declared a climate emergency in 2020 and our commitment to environmental sustainability runs through everything we do:
- We have developed and implemented a wide range of green initiatives across our estate
- Research by our academic staff is contributing to global understanding of environmental issues and the development of sustainable solutions
- We launched the UK’s first ever BSc (Hons) Climate Change
- LJMU is a key partner in the Liverpool City Region’s sustainability strategy, contributing to and shaping local policy-making
- We help hundreds of businesses create low carbon goods, processes and services
- Working with local schools, we are helping to educate children about the importance of environmental responsibility
We will shortly be launching the LJMU Climate Action Plan.
It will set out our goals and priorities for the next 10 years across five themes: leadership, teaching, research, community engagement and campus management.
We are setting ourselves challenging, but crucial, targets to ensure sustainability remains firmly at the core of everything we do.
The climate crisis facing our world is immense. LJMU is steadfast in our commitment to helping address these issues.