Making your postgraduate application

Postgraduate Taught Degrees

How and when to apply

Step 1 - Check the deadline for applying

Applications for September 2023 postgraduate applications are now open.

The deadline for applications is 1 June except for International Business Management which is 1 April.

Please note: courses may close applications early if they have met the maximum number of applicants.

Step 2 - Decide which course(s) you would like to study

Search Postgraduate Taught Courses

Step 3 – Check the entry requirements and tuition costs
All of our courses are issued with their own set of entry criteria, which often include subject specific criteria, along with English language standards.  Standard requirements are listed in our course pages, however, we also list general international equivalent requirements on our country pages. 

Search entry requirements from your country

In addition to this, each course is listed with an annual tuition fee against all courses eligible to international applicants.  It is important to note that scholarships are available to all self-funded international applicants in the form of tuition fee waivers. 

Search international scholarships

Step 4 – Submit your application
Once you are happy that you satisfy the entry criteria, you should begin your application.  You have a choice to apply direct to the University via our online application form or visit one of our trusted recruitment agents overseas who can do this on your behalf.  You can find their details by searching for your country on our website. 

Submit your application online

What happens next?

Check your emails regularly.  Your offer will come in the form of an email with your official offer letter attached.  Simply accept or decline your offer by clicking on the appropriate buttons in your email. 

Once an offer has been made, applicants will have a further 28 days to pay a deposit for the course. 

And then?
Download your Campus Connect app and meet your new classmates!  All of our offer holders receive exclusive access to our Campus Connect app, where they can meet others on their course, read articles about the city and University and chat in open or private forums with members of staff and current students to build a community before they begin their course. 

Important Considerations

If you wish to apply to study a full-time taught Masters, Masters by Research, MPhil/PhD at LJMU, you should check if you also require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme or ATAS certificate. It can take four to six weeks to receive an ATAS certificate, so please make sure you apply as early as possible. You can find out more on the British Government website.

In order to obtain a student visa you will also need to show evidence that the money required to cover your tuition fees and living expenses has been in your bank account for at least 28 consecutive days and within one month prior to submitting your visa application.  It is therefore very important that you make sure your finances are in place before applying for your visa. For advice on any aspect of the application process, please check the latest UK government advice.

The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.  Where such decisions are made, you will be informed of every outcome. 

Any Questions?

Our International Recruitment Team are always here to support you.  They are available at numerous times throughout the month via our On Demand platform.  Chat to them in our regular online drop-in sessions.  

Applying for a Research degree
Before you apply, we recommend that you contact the Faculty or School you are interested in to check that they have an appropriate supervisor who can enrich and support your research.  Entry requirements for our research degrees can be found in the online postgraduate fact files. Once you are confident you have the support in place, you should submit your application and allow your faculty to process your application officially.