Race and higher education
Take a look at the resources below to explore more about race and racism in higher education.
Books and journal articles
- Building the anti-racist university: next steps. Race, Ethnicity and Education 20, no. 3 (2017): 289-299. By Tate, Shirley Anne, and Paul Bagguley.
- Dismantling race in higher education: racism, whiteness and decolonising the academy - edited by Jason Arday; Heidi Safia Mirza; 2018
- Diverse Places of Learning? Home neighbourhood ethnic diversity & ethnic composition of universities (IPR, 2018) by Donnelly, Michael.
- Inside the Ivory Tower: Narratives of Black British Women Surviving and Thriving in British Academia. (Trentham Books, 2017) by Gabriel, Deborah and Tate, Shirley Anne (eds).
- Changing our fate in the fire now. The Fire Now: Anti-racist scholarship in times of explicit racial violence. London: Zed Books.(2018) by Kamunge, Beth., Joseph-Salisbury, Remi., & Johnson, Azeezat.
- pace invaders: Race, gender and bodies out of place. (2004) by Puwar, N.
- Race talk and the conspiracy of silence: Understanding and facilitating difficult dialogues on race. (2016): by Puwar, N.
- Racial affective economies, disalienation and ‘race made ordinary’. Ethnic and Racial Studies 37, no. 13 (2014): 2475-2490 by Tate, Shirley Anne
- Whiteliness and institutional racism: Hiding behind (un) conscious bias. Ethics and Education, 13(1), (2018): 141-155 by Tate, S. A., & Page, D.
- Whiteness as Ambush and the Transformative Power of Vigilance in Black Bodies, White Gazes: The Continuing Significance of Race (Rowman & Littlefield, 2008) by Yancy, George.
- On being included: Racism and diversity in institutional life. (Duke University Press, 2012). Further information on the ‘non-performity of anti-racism’ (Meridians: feminism, race, transnationalism, 2006) by Ahmed, Sara.
- White fragility: Why it’s so hard to talk to talk to white people about racism, The Good Men Project. Further information (International Journal of Critical Pedagogy, 2011). By DiAngelo, Robin.
- Postcolonial Banter, Padstow: Verve Poetry Press. (2019) by Manzoor-Khan, Suhaiyma
- White Business Education. Critical Perspectives on Accounting 21, no. 6 (2010): 525-528 by Molisa, Pala.
- Throwing our bodies against the white background of academia in Area by Azeezat Johnson 03/2020
- Beyond diversity: anti-racist pedagogy in British History departments in Women's History Review by Meleisa Ono-George 16/04/2019
- Separate & unequal: how higher education reinforces the inter generational reproduction of white racial privilege by Anthony P. Carnevale; Jeff Strohl 31/07/2013
- The diversity bargain: and other dilemmas of race, admissions, and meritocracy at elite universities by Natasha Kumar Warikoo; 2016
- Why the Academic Achievement Gap is a Racist Idea – AAIHS by Ibram X. Kendi; 2016
- The Free Black University - a hub for radical and transformative knowledge production
- Equity reading list - Bhalla Lab, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Racial Equity Tools Glossary
- Racism in UK universities is blocking BAME academics from the top
- 'Talented women of colour are blocked' – why are there so few black female professors?
- Racism in universities is a systemic problem, not a series of incidents
- Black British Academics
- Confronting racism in higher education
- Aiming Higher: Race Equality in Higher Education (2015) - Full Film
- Why Only Race-Conscious Policies Can Fix Racism in Higher Education
- Racial Inequities in Higher Education
- We Need to Talk About Race in Higher Education
- RACE AND RACISM IN ACADEMIA | Decolonizing the Ivory Tower and Discrimination in Higher Education
- Racist History: Higher Education
- An everyday dimension of racism: Why we need to understand microaggressions
- Institutional Racism Endemic in Higher Education (Black Trans)
- Is my uni Diverse? | student perspective | Miss Varz